HELP - Window Problem

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After a ride yesterday I went to roll the windows up and the driver's window got about half way up and the the motor ground to a halt. I was able to roll it back down but it did the same thing when I tried rolling it up again. On the second try I grabbed the top of the glass and gave it a gentle tug while I worked the switch. It made a popping sound and then finished rolling up. If push comes to shove I'm still under warranty, but I'd rather fix it myself if it is something minor. Has anyone had this problem before? Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. - I already searched the archives to no avail.
frown.gif

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck, So does it work normally now? It could be several things. I replaced my drivers side window motor myself (posted it too). It could be:

1) Loose track.
2) Worn motor.
3) The cables could be kinked somehow.
4) Your weatherstriping that runs the side of the window is coming loose and binding against the window causing the window motot to work harder and burn up faster.

If it still works, I think it has more to do with the track because the pin is still in place that lifts the window, the stop that is at the top of the track hasn't slipped down because you can still "help" the window up. Check fit and finish.......

OP
OP
C

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by steveb:
Chuck, So does it work normally now<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. I tried one more up/down cycle and I had to 'help' it back up. I'll have to pull it apart and see what's going on... I'm thinking either #1 or #3.

motomike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The passenger window pane came loose from the side edge metal positioning clip that guide and hold the window pane. I took my car to my local Viper mechanic since it was under warranty who took the door panel off and then proceed to take the pane and clip out. The clip was epoxied back into position and the pane reinstalled. It's fine now although the upper window stop is set alittle high. However, I really don't want to remove the entire door panel again to adjust the stop.

Sounds to me like the window motor is okay in your case, but there's a problem with the guide or something else in door panel that is obstructing the window pane from freely going up.

I would remove the door panel and check it out. It's not difficult to remove the panel. Just a bunch of screws and a couple of plastic panel clips.

YellowSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GOOD NEWS!

I talked to my window tinter and he said he would give you a price break if you only wanted your drivers window and rear window tinted!

Just leave the passenger window broken and you dont have to tint it because its always down!

Cool hugh? Let me know. I cant hold this deal for long buddy.

OP
OP
C

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jaysun, thank you for your concern. However, if you weren't hopped up on crack you would have noticed that in my original post I said that the DRIVER'S window is on the blink. Does the tint deal still apply in this case?
laugh.gif

YellowSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
smile.gif
Yes the deal still applies. My friend told me if you do break the passenger window and only need the hatch-back tinted, then you would get an even better deal.

Also, he said that you should stop driving through those ghetto neighborhoods to get your "pharmaceuticals," just go to the nice suburban hang-outs. This will keep your windows from breaking.

;)

Butch The Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Chuck I would be glad to help I have the perfect solution I have had 3 Vipers a 98 red, 99 black and 01 white. 2 of the three Vipers had this problem, (by the way I high recommend you not drive the car have it towed or flat bedded to the nearest dealer). On my 98 two things happened the window broke then the door fell off right on the road I was sick, so I replaced a new door and window then sold the car. On my 99 the window also broke so I ordered a new part from Dodge, replaced it 6 months later it broke again so I decided to fabricate the part from this bone head from the North Shore and that broke so I decided to put the question on the web, talk to people search around finally the perfect solution my 1997 GM Saturn has the same identical part window part but cheaper and stronger so I went to my Saturn dealer and picked up the part for $9.95 far cry from what Dodge wanted to charge. If you have any question let me know.

OP
OP
C

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Butch:
On my 99 the window also broke so I ordered a new part from Dodge, replaced it 6 months later it broke again so I decided to fabricate the part from this bone head from the North Shore and that broke so I decided to put the question on the web, talk to people search around finally the perfect solution my 1997 GM Saturn has the same identical part window part but cheaper and stronger so I went to my Saturn dealer and picked up the part for $9.95 far cry from what Dodge wanted to charge
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Listen *****, I mean Butch , that might possibly be the longest run-on sentence ever constructed. Thank you for the help though. I'll be sure to reciprocate when I help you with your exhaust. I sure won't forget to install your o2 sensors or anything like that.
devil.gif
Isn't your 01 yellow and not white??

YellowSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doctor, doctor, I keep thinking I'm a moth.
So why did you come to see me?
Well, I saw the light in the window...

Fred: Did you hear about the Irish window cleaner who put a sign at the top of his ladder?
Harry: What did the sign say?
Fred: Stop.

Who broke the window?
It was Fred, Dad. He ducked when I threw a stone at him.

How do you cure a headache?
Put your head through a window, and the pane will disappear.

Don't look out of the window, Betty, people will think it's Halloween.

Butch The Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Listen *****, I mean Butch , that might possibly be the longest run-on sentence ever constructed. Thank you for the help though. I'll be sure to reciprocate when I help you with your exhaust. I sure won't forget to install your o2 sensors or anything like that. Isn't your 01 yellow and not white?? Hey Chucky I think english was my weakest subject in fact I flunked that course in collage but I can tell two subjects that I kicked *** in finance and economics. Keep smiling it's only a window......

OP
OP
C

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Butch:
Hey Chucky I think english was my weakest subject in fact I flunked that course in collage but I can tell two subjects that I kicked *** in finance and economics
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't know you needed a collage degree to sell drugs. Especially when Jaysun is your biggest customer!
laugh.gif

Butch The Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 97 GTS:
I didn't know you needed a collage degree to sell drugs. Especially when Jaysun is your biggest customer!
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Didn't you know that how you get woman!