help with 02 OEM Brake calipers... what happens when rubber seals melt off? What to

SF Final 286

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is a track only car. It is all stock except for stainless steel brake lines and kuhmo ecsta v700 tires. I was using some cheapo semimetalic brake pads at the last event. I had to use these pads because I had no options at the time. Well they wore down to the bare metal by the end of 5, 30min sessions. Now I am installing new brakeman3 pads. When I took the old pads off I noticed that the rubber seals around the pistons were melted off and all was left were the metal rings in them. Then when I compressed one side of the pistons the other side pistons just popped off!!!:omg:
This scared the heck out of me because I have never had this happen. All the brake fluid just leaked all over the place on the floor.

So my question is, What do I need to do?
Can I just push the piston back in? ... What do I do with all the air that is trapped in there? ... will bleeding the brakes remove this air?

What about the rubber seals, do I need to replace them? Can I run the next track event if I do not replace them?

Please help ASAP. Thanks.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: help with 02 OEM Brake calipers... what happens when rubber seals melt off? What

286, it's time to re-build the calipers and use some heat shields behind the pads!
Piston, seal & boot pkg:
Right [2] #4723455 MSRP $81.00 ea.
Left [2] #4723456 MSRP $83.35 ea.
Less 20% :cool:
914-763-3136

Also check the archives here!
Example: http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/555719-comments-few-questions-mod-gurus.html

I'm sure some of the track rats will chime in too.

Last edited:

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: help with 02 OEM Brake calipers... what happens when rubber seals melt off? What

Don't want to sound like a axxhole but maybe you should not work on you brakes if you have no ideas about what you're doing or how brakes work.
The seals you're talking about are nothing more that the "dust boot" and it's pretty normal for them to get destroyed on a track car ( most race calipers do not even have them)
The O'ring that seal the the piston to the caliper bore is another story.
The main reason you overheated your calipers is because you used all the pads material. The pad material act as a heat barrier between the pads and the calipers and the less material you have ,the more heat is transfered.
A hydraulic brake system work on the principle that fluid can't compress therefore when the piston in the master cylinder is pushed out, the volume of displaced fluid has to go somewhere and that's why the pistons in the calipers move out and press against the pads/rotors.
All that to say that when you press a caliper piston back in, it's normal for the other piston to want to come out.
yes, bleeding the brakes will remove the air.

What about the rubber seals, do I need to replace them? Can I run the next track event if I do not replace them?

Please help ASAP. Thanks.[/quote]

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You mention that your viper is a track car and you're in nor cal. whick tracks/clubs do you go with?
( I run an open track and race club in norcal ( ncracing.org)
Luc 00GTS

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What Luc said. It's the dust boot that is melted off, although you might as well replace the seals as well.

You should also get the Cone Brake Duct Kit. Best mod there is for tracking.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score

there a few diff brake cooling options. I have been trying to pick one. I dont remember seeing a "cone" kit. Could you tell us more about it Chuck?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

there a few diff brake cooling options. I have been trying to pick one. I dont remember seeing a "cone" kit. Could you tell us more about it Chuck?

I cut 3-inch holes in the fiberglass on each side of the radiator, put a scoop on the radiator end of a brake duct hose and shoved the rest of the hose through to the calipers. The scoop rests in front of the radiator but not enough to hurt cooling.

JonB sells the Cone Kit and probably is a little more sophisticated than my setup. It will have detailed instructions also. Not sure on the price.

I have tried several different cooling options and this one is without question the best and extremely efficient. If you are gonna do any tracking at all, do this mod first.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

We have the G2 Cone Cooling Kit on our website (very soon for SRT10 too)
We also have Titanium backing plates for the pads, to help stop some heat transfer
We also have LOW MILES TAKE OFF CALIPERS that cost way less than 4 seal/boots/piston kits!

Last edited:

SCCAviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Have 3 new OEM brake cooling kits. Only ones in existance. Melted many dust covers before use. Also have set of covers and whole F calabers for sale.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Have 3 new OEM brake cooling kits. Only ones in existance. Melted many dust covers before use. Also have set of covers and whole F calabers for sale.

For a GenII? Never seen one. Got pics?

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Chuck, what size duct hose did you use? Do you have any pics of your setup? Thanks for sharing. - Tony

OP
OP
S

SF Final 286

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Yes it was the dust boots that melted off and left a metal ring. The metal ring just fits onto the caliper bore opening and is part of the dust boot.
So I just rebuilt the calipers.
The job was easy.
Just did some research on the web.
Here are some links that may help anyone else with questions like mine.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HdFdmueLsA[/media]

Brake Caliper Rebuild - Do-It-Yourself Instructions For Racers - Circle Track Magazine

Rebuilding Brake Calipers

Hope that helps someone.