help with 02 OEM Brake calipers... what happens when rubber seals melt off? What to

SF Final 286

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is a track only car. It is all stock except for stainless steel brake lines and kuhmo ecsta v700 tires. I was using some cheapo semimetalic brake pads at the last event. I had to use these pads because I had no options at the time. Well they wore down to the bare metal by the end of 5, 30min sessions. Now I am installing new brakeman3 pads. When I took the old pads off I noticed that the rubber seals around the pistons were melted off and all was left were the metal rings in them. Then when I compressed one side of the pistons the other side pistons just popped off!!!:omg:
This scared the heck out of me because I have never had this happen. All the brake fluid just leaked all over the place on the floor.

So my question is, What do I need to do?
Can I just push the piston back in? ... What do I do with all the air that is trapped in there? ... will bleeding the brakes remove this air?

What about the rubber seals, do I need to replace them? Can I run the next track event if I do not replace them?

Please help ASAP. Thanks.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Re: help with 02 OEM Brake calipers... what happens when rubber seals melt off? What

Tom, you offer great content...I just help with the index function!! :)

OP
OP
S

SF Final 286

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: help with 02 OEM Brake calipers... what happens when rubber seals melt off? What

Thanks for the info.
When replacing the piston seals, do they just push right in? and it will stay in place without any twsting or special procedure?