Help with mystery fire.

MOUNTAINWOLF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yesterday AM, backed my viper out of the garage for the weekly drive to church. Left the car running to warm up, as I ran back inside for about 1 min., so the car had been running for about 2 min. When I got back inside the car, I smelled smoke... almost like wood smoke, so I thought someone nearby perhaps had a fire ? However, neighbors are not close enough for this smell, kinda strong and not exactly like a fireplace ? Then I see smoke start coming out of the driver side hood vent, not just a puff, but it is really pouring out of the whole vent, very visible, even on a sunny day. I shut the engine off, raise the hood, and start looking and sniffing on the drivers side. With the hood up, I see or smell no more smoke , inspect the manifold... nothing, check the power steering cap... feels tight, no visible fluid... brake master cyl.cap feels a little loose, so I tighten a little more , but no visible fluid and fluid shows to the max line. Walk around to other side, dipstick is tight, belts seem ok, I can't find anything. Running a little late, I decided to put the snake back in the garage & drive the vette. So, I lowered (not shut) the hood and started it back up. Started fine and I didn't see any more smoke, and no more strong smell (maybe a faint smell left). Pulled back in the garage and there it sits. Anyone have an idea what this was ? I never really suspected a belt or oil , the smell wasn't right. Like I said, sort of smelled like wood burning but not quite. Car is an 00' GTS w/ 26 +K miles (12 K on Arrow rebuild), it had been driven exactly 1 week ago & no problems. I don't want to just disregard, because the smoke really poured for about 5 sec.(until I shut off the engine), looked like a fire must be right under the hood vent ? Any ideas appreciated. :confused:

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mouse on exhaust manifold maybe----------

Seriously.

About 1 out of 10 times I open my hood I see a mousie scram for his life. Although Im sure the opening of the door would of scared him off in your case, he may have made a nest and you torched it. Nice. Im sure if it was something serious the problem would have not gone away and you say it smelled like wood or leaves burning so probably not oil or antifreeze.

Good luck.

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you don't have pets try these solutions. Buy a whole SH!TLOAD of glue traps and put them EVERYWHERE!!! If there are any mice running aorund, this will get them. Put them in the middle of the garage where your Viper goes so they are udnerneath. Put them in corners, on shelves...EVERYWHERE!!! I have had to do it before with amazingly good results. (Gross Fact - Once caught 9 mice on one trap...YUCK!!! )

Mr U-2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmmm...Any chance you might have had a few tree leaves or tree junk stuck in the engine bay?...might smell like wood burning. Keep us advised. :usa:

Paul

OP
OP
M

MOUNTAINWOLF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Guys, this is funny, because the thought of a mouse/rat nest did cross my mind. The reason I discounted that idea was because the car had only been sitting 1 week & I currently have 2 mousetraps cocked & ready in my garage (1 next to the viper). The reason I have mousetraps in my garage is because of a thread I read here about 1 yr.ago, about the damage these little monsters can do. After reading the thread, I bought a trap... caught one after a day. Reset... caught another, bought another trap & non-stop for about 2 months was catching field mice.. 14 total, then it stopped (maybe because of season change) Since I haven't caught in my traps lately, I assumed they disappeared, but maybe you are right & this one avoided the traps & found a spot to nest in the coils of the snake. I hope that was it. ps. No leaves or tree junk in the engine bay at all. Thanks for the replies.

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mountain: my philosophy is simple, for every one you catch, count on at least 10 more....( exagerated yes, but definetly good ). This was if you think you have 10 mice, set like 20 traps, and catch all them ********.

OP
OP
M

MOUNTAINWOLF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yea, I think it is going to be an ongoing battle with field mice considering the location of my home. My house/garage is only 3 years old, it is clean, no food has ever been in there, so I didn't expect mice. The fact is, I live in the middle of the woods in the mountains. I think the little ******** come in seeking shelter: what they eat, I have no idea. (probably have a diet of wires, gaskets, & hoses)

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well its time to get your hands on a good sized fire extinguisher, and go for another ride.
Caravan drivers never have these worries.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what they eat, I have no idea. (probably have a diet of wires, gaskets, & hoses)

Don't laugh,, we have a squirrel problem at work, plastic garbage cans have holes chewed into them, anything else that isn't steel or aluminum. The 'tree rats' even crawled under the hood of a 99 gr. marquis and ate, I MEAN ATE!!!!!, half the wire harness off the top of the engine!!!!!!!! Even the copper wire!!!!! Right down to the plastic couplers!!!! There wasn't a shred of wire or plastic sheathing to be found. Cost 450$ for the harness and a day to repair. Damn tree rats!!!!!!!

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If at first you said it smelled like ordinary combustibles
(wood, paper, etc) it was most likely bedding from a rodent's nest. Looks like he might be out of a home now!