Help with oil leak!! Pics inside to help explain.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Okay,

I've been reading on the Viperboard about oil leaks and power steering leaks. Some of these leaks have caused fires like this post here: http://vca1.viperclub.org/ubb/Forum14/HTML/010002.html

I have this leak coming somewhere from the driver's side left throttle body. I have this sensor I suspect may be leaking, but not quite sure. Look at pic below. What is this sensor? It has something to do with oil. I pulled it out and there was oil in the hole. Is it common for this to leak?

You must be registered for see images

]

Below is a picture of another place I suspect may be leaking. The power steering hose to the steering rack. If it's leaking from here, then it would be from the top side because it's soaking the front top driver's side part of the engine.

I pulled the power steering cap off and the fluid level is very low.

My problem is that I'm having a hard time if it's the power steering hose or something else from the top end of the engine that is leaking. I did noticed that I had a small puddle of oil under the intake plenum. This could be cause by the oil getting pushed back from the front while driving.

I cleaned the oil up from the front with some carb cleaner and was careful not to get the red paint sprayed on. I turned on the car and let it run for a while. Nothing leaked. I took the car out for a 2 mile spin and when I parked it again, there was oil all over the front of the leftside of the engine. I can't tell it's power steering fluid or engine oil. They both have about the same color.

Is there a way to find out which is which? Any idea's for me? This stuff is covered under my warranty, but I can't get my dealer to fix it with out a bunch of excuses. I don't know why I bought an extended warranty. It hasn't done me any good.

I have to fight my dealer to get work done. Now I'm afraid to take it there cause I'm afraid the tech has an attitude towards me now. He might break something by purpose, I'm not sure. I guess I'm stuck fixing it myself. They had the car sitting for 3 weeks doing nothing while they fixed other cars that came in after I came in on a scheduled appointment!

I'm mad about this, but there's nothing I can do. I got no support on this stuff from anyone...just excuses. but anyways..don't want to ramble...any suggestions would help! I'm afraid my car is going to catch on fire if it's not fixed. Does warranty cover engine fire?

Thanks in advance.

shifter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ab,
Go to your local auto parts store and buy some florescent leak detection dye. We use it all the time to track down oil and A/C leaks. Put some in the power steering reservoir (it's perfectly safe), run the car around until you get the oil leak back, pull the car into a dimly lit garage, and run a black light over the engine where the oil is. The dye will emit a greenish hue. If no dye escaped, then it's not the powersteering reservoir.

You can then put some dye into the engine oil and try again.

The Dye should help you pinpoint exactly where the leak is coming from.

After you find and fix the leak, replace the fluids which had the dye in them.

Good Luck.

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ab,

Is it just me or do you just have alot of problems? Seems every time I am on this BBS I see dilemma posts by you...and I thought my life was bad...

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ab,

I'm pretty sure that sensor is for coolant temp. Notice in photo #2 where your left thumb knuckle is. That's the valve cover breather ****** and it is *VERY* prone to leaking motor oil. Over the last few years, the engines have come with toothed nylon clamps for the hose that slips over the ******. Make sure it is snugged down good.

The low fluid level in your PS pump could very well be from a loose cap. Thermal expansion and engine vibration will cause it to loosen and leak fluid all over the place. Use a rag or paper towel to clean & dry both the female cap threads and the male reservoir threads. Fill the reservoir with fresh Mopar PS fluid and snug that cap down well.

The oil you see at the hardline crimp fitting may very well be from the two areas I just mentioned. It's very unlikely to be a hydraulic line problem. Wash the motor down real well and keep an eye on it.

OP
OP
Q

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
yep my cap is on tight on the power steering fluid. I will have to check that hose you are talking about on the valve cover.

Frank-No, I don't have alot of problems with the Viper. Just getting service done on it when it should be. I'm a talkative person and love this board for the resources it gives. So I will talk away.
tongue.gif
laugh.gif

Bill 96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try this....... wrap the suspect areas or fitting with paper towels. Use tape or rubber bands to keep them in place. Take a short ride then examine the towels. You will be able tell if the leak is coming from inside the towel wrap or from the outside. Usually works real good. Good luck.

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The tracer dye will tell you which oil is leaking and you can get it at NAPA Auto Parts. If it is the crankcase breather tube, here's a good fix that I have on my car. It is a breather puke can that catches any oil that gets thrown out of the valve covers into the breather tube. It keeps the small amount of oil from going into your airbox and into the air filter. It is made by K&P Engineering in Denver, 303-697-0662. E-mail me for a picture.

The steering pump tanks have also leaked in the past, and can be fixed by replacing an o-ring seal where it connects to pump. Or, just get the whole pump replaced on warranty as I did.

Jerry Scott
[email protected]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missjazzyfitness