Help with question on new K&N on my Viper?

mamba20

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got my car on Friday, and installed the K&N today. After doing the install I realized that in the directions to install the K&N, it states that I must disconnect the negative on the battery before install. Does this need to happen? Is it really necessary? If so, how do you access the battery? Can I do it now, after I've already istalled the K&N(meaning, just disconnect and reconnect negative terminal).

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Nelson
p.s. Also, the snake has 65 miles on it now and was wondering if it is wise to have had installed this set up now or should I have waited until the breakin at 500 miles? :confused:

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I did mine I did not disconnect the battery. If you do want to disconnect it then pull up the bottom piece of the trunk carpet and you'll see the battery box cover on the left. There are about 8 or 10 bolts that hold the cover on. Remove them, pop the cover off and then you can disconnect the battery.

Hooking up your K&N before 500 miles should not make a difference. The car detects the change in airflow and will "learn" to adapt to it. This would happen the same wether you installed it at 5 miles or 50,000 miles.

Good luck on your install.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nelson, no need to remove the battery cable, but there is a trick to getting the air temp sensor out of the oem air intake. I have heard to use a lubricant as it's somewhat difficult to remove, but I don't want to get anything like that on the airtemp sensor, so I take a razor blade and cut a half inch slit near the opening, and it come right out. You can easilly repair that if you ever needed the oem air duct.

By the way if any off you guys ever want to remove the battery cover, use an electric powered screw gun. Those screws will wear you out removing them.

Skip White

vipersrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<and you'll see the battery box cover on the left. There are about 8 or 10 bolts that hold the cover on. Remove them, >

-what a fun task that is, possibly the worst design of the car other than the windows slamming the top at times

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:

"<and you'll see the battery box cover on the left. There are about 8 or 10 bolts that hold the cover on. Remove them, >

-what a fun task that is, possibly the worst design of the car other than the windows slamming the top at times "

Beats having to take the rear tire off to get to the battery...(RT10)

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have ever done just about any mods, they always
start with removing the battery cable. Just a safety/
liability issue for the company that sent you the stuff.

Herc

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did your K&N have the holes properly sized?
I have still heard of some guys having to drill theirs.
Did you loose the skip shift after the install.
Mine happily disappeared. :D

OP
OP
M

mamba20

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did your K&N have the holes properly sized?
I have still heard of some guys having to drill theirs.
Did you loose the skip shift after the install.
Mine happily disappeared. :D

Interesting that you say this, because I've always shifted gear to gear in sequence. Not exactly sure what the skip shift is? Can you educate me? The holes on the K&N were properly sized, thank god.

Now I'm just dealing with the left quarter panel issue that I just posted a thread on.

Nelson

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the mechanic that did mine didn't use any kind of lube and my skip shift is still there i guess he didnt' break anything!

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Several of us SRT-10 owners who bought the first run of K&N filter kits noticed that the skip shift was eliminated after installing the K&N's. I even put my stock setup back on and my skip shift reappered. There have been no ill effects to the loss. I heard speculation that it was due to the positioning of the air temp sensor, but I cant confirm that.
I did have to drill out the holes in my K&N setup. They were severely undersize. Your car will have a whistle if you have the undersize holes.

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the skip shift?

If you drive forward, from a stop, at a slow to moderate pace then the car is supposed to force you to do a first to fourth gear shift. This exists to help with gas mileage and is there because there is some kind of EPA drug deal that gives the manfacturer a break on severe gas guzzlers (at least that is what I've been told - trying not to talk out of my butt too much). If you drive your Viper in a spirited manner, you will rarely/never be forced to do it. I have only had it catch me once.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Didn't disconnect battery - no problems

Did have to drill out holes, works great now.

Did loose skip shift. Thank God.

OP
OP
M

mamba20

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your comments. Got it installed succesfully. I did notice the skip shift though, but it only happens when I start off extremely slow and rev up only to about 1500-2000 rpm when I change gears and then it locks out 2nd and tries to get me to go to fourth. I rarely change gears like that so, I should be ok..

Thanks again! :2tu:

vipersrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your comments. Got it installed succesfully. I did notice the skip shift though, but it only happens when I start off extremely slow and rev up only to about 1500-2000 rpm when I change gears and then it locks out 2nd and tries to get me to go to fourth. I rarely change gears like that so, I should be ok..

Thanks again! :2tu:

-the skip shift in my z06 is between 18-22 mph, its appears about the same for my viper

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32