Help with tonneau cover for RT/10

KHitman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm hoping one of you with a tonneau cover for you RT/10 can help me. It appears the one I got "included" in my purchase didn't come with some retaining rod that forms the front of it against the dash. I figure I could fabricate one, but don't know the diameter of it. Would someone mind measuring the diameter of theirs and let me know what it is? Plus, does it look like its just an aluminum rod or are there sections in it?

I plan on having the top off a lot and would like to try out this cover.

Thanks!!!

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check inside the trunk. Look under where the deck lid bolts to the underside in the trunk. It is bowed from one side of the trunk to the other. That is where they are all kept on the Gen II RTs.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as Kevin - I've got a Gen II with a brand-new tonneau cover, and seem to be missing the rod, and its not on the rear roof of the trunk.

I used the tonneau cover on my Gen I all the time, and would love to use the tonneu cover on my Gen II. (Gen I tonneau covers are attached via snaps across the top of the dash.)

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could always try a fibreglass rod like the ones they use in HP kites. They flex and you can have them made any size. I don't know the length, because I don't have mine either, but check your local hobby shop to see if they can make them or order them.

OP
OP
K

KHitman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'll have to give that a shot. I'll start working on making one and let you guys know the details (length, diameter, etc) when I get it working.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'll have to give that a shot. I'll start working on making one and let you guys know the details (length, diameter, etc) when I get it working.
Please do - that would be very helpful. Thanks...

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat, I was told it's bout 4 foot long. I was thinking about using a $10 Bicycle flag pole from Wal-Mart.

ELW98

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Help with tonneau cover for RT/10 (ANSWER)!!!

Just measured my rod..........(you know what i mean), and it is exactly 68 3/8" x 1/4"

Your welcome :)

Ernie

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get to say it this time, The year matters. On gen 1 cars there is no "rod" there are just snaps around the dash.

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you make your own "Rod" make sure you put some tight fitting rubber vacuum caps on the ends so that the ends of the rods don't scratch your interior. Mine had a loose end on it, it came off and I didn't notice it when I was bending the rod on installation and it left a permanent scratch on the A pillar.....it was a fine day.

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you make your own "Rod" make sure you put some tight fitting rubber vacuum caps on the ends so that the ends of the rods don't scratch your interior. Mine had a loose end on it, it came off and I didn't notice it when I was bending the rod on installation and it left a permanent scratch on the A pillar.....it was a fine day.

Good to know Thanks.

paul fettig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for bringing this topic up as I have the same problem- no rod. Does anyone have a picture of the cover installed?

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One suggestion would be to go to where they make boat coves, as they use various diameter fiberglass rods to hold the cover up. We have a cover on our boat and it came with four rods.

Also, was the tonneau cover an option or did it come with all RT's? I know the hardtop was an option.

pgbeek

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Go to your Dodge dealer and have him look up the part. He should be able to give you a print out of the part.
Their is a company (X-2 builders) that sells wrecked vipers and parts you might want to check with them?

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that I think of it, Chuck might have those or, he knows of some good Viper specific parts sources. One of the many reasons he is know as...The Wizard! :)

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I was unable to find any pictures of an installed tonneau cover I just went for it on mine and I will post some pictures.
Even though my window sticker shows and tonneau cover ordered from the factory the mounts on the A pillars were not there, nor were the snaps in back. The instructions and not very plan on the location of the a pillar mounts. I finally just moved it around till I thought it fit the contour the best and drilled and mounted it, I think it is OK but who know if that is where it should be.
The strap that are supposed to go around the driver's side mirror are not long enough to reach. Also if I put the buckle in the seat belt on the DS I can get the guide in the window channel.
Other than that it working.

Attachments

• DSCN0486.jpg
    DSCN0486.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCN0487.jpg
    DSCN0487.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCN0488.jpg
    DSCN0488.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN0489.jpg
    DSCN0489.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN0490.jpg
    DSCN0490.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 17

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More pictures

Attachments

• DSCN0499.jpg
    DSCN0499.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN0500.jpg
    DSCN0500.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN0504.jpg
    DSCN0504.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCN0506.jpg
    DSCN0506.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN0503.jpg
    DSCN0503.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 8

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few more with Tonneau removed so you can see the location I put the A pillar mounts.

Attachments

• DSCN0515.jpg
    DSCN0515.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN0516.jpg
    DSCN0516.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCN0517.jpg
    DSCN0517.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN0518.jpg
    DSCN0518.jpg