Hemmings Talks About New Viper in 2008

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sharper fangs for the Viper?

The Dodge Viper will go down in history as one of the fastest and best-handling cars ever. Since its introduction, it has received more power, more creature comforts and it’s still the horsepower king.
Well, for 2008, it will get even more power. Sources tell Hemmings that the new Viper will have 650 horsepower. You ask, why 2008? What happened to model year 2007? We've been told not to expect a 2007 model and that the year will be skipped, kind of like what happened to the 1983 Corvette. On the outside, the car looks pretty much the same from spy photos we’ve seen. The hood has some vents behind the air intake at the front.
A rumor is that McLaren in involved and will push the horsepower up to 650. This is likely in response to the new Corvette “Blue Devil,” which is stirring things up at the GM camp. Stay tuned.
- By George Mattar

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The C6 Z06 guys have to be screeming [******].
The sun only shined on them for a few months, and now the Gen IV has the foot back on their necks:)
I think DC better put up or shut them up. (them being the media) If the Gen IV doesn't have 650hp they'll think DC F'd up.

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

sshorty

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My only concern (not that I'll be buying one, but for those who would be) ia the cost. I mean, if Mclaren is doing the motor, that's going to add on to the already high priced exotic. Are we going to see regular production, non-special edition cars, nearing 100k? One of the great things about the Viper is its price. It undercuts all the other exotics by considerable amount of money. Even now, with the coupe's MSRP around 90k, it's still $30k less than a Porsche Turbo. I'm just wondering if DC ever thought about price and how much that could affect the sales of this amazing machine. I am glad however, that GEN1 and 2 cars have come down into the 30's and 40's for cars in great shape. This new car sounds like a sick ride, lets just see what actually happens and what it costs.

rleminv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The more exotic, rare, limited it is the more expensive it will be (the obvious) and the more DC will be guaranteed a sold out production run with a long list of potential buyers that will wait and spend MSRP+. IMHO, a McLaren version will only enhance a $80K "regular" GenIV version's sales. I hate to be negative, but does anyone think DC will put 650HP in a Viper and sell it for less than $100K? Additionally, I wonder if electronic nannies are going to be required for that type of HP/TQ in a DC production vehicle? What will that do to the purists that have repeatedly thumbed their noses at such a concept? Should we be careful what we wish for?

Could they be releasing a limited production vehicle that is like the Z06 is to the vette?

Lots of questions and no answers, that's me. :confused:

So...I'll keep enjoying what I have, not worry about the future, keep modding mine and having fun putting rock chips in it! :2tu:
Larry

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe it is time for Viper to produce two different models. The standard model with around 500 hp, and the enhanced version, selling at a premium with some additional styling, traction control, anti-skid, and hp. (King Snake?)

Some owners do not really want more hp. They would not be happy with huge increases in price to get into the Viper Game. Others would be more than willing to step up to the plate to get an ultimate Viper.

Maybe even require owner to take a manditory ViperDays or Skip Barber class before getting the keys.

The Legend would continue. :evilmad: :headbang: :evilmad: :headbang:

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe it is time for Viper to produce two different models. The standard model with around 500 hp, and the enhanced version, selling at a premium with some additional styling, traction control, anti-skid, and hp. (King Snake?)

Some owners do not really want more hp. They would not be happy with huge increases in price to get into the Viper Game. Others would be more than willing to step up to the plate to get an ultimate Viper.

Maybe even require owner to take a manditory ViperDays or Skip Barber class before getting the keys.

The Legend would continue.

I think a new ACR version could be the Z06 for Viper. Give it more HP and leave it rawer than the standard Vert or Coupe. That would make everybody happy:)

OK, I was joking about the last part.

2005 Silver SRT/10

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My deposit is already with Bill!!! Waiting to take delivery of a Z06 asp-kicking Viper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andrew,

Great thinking, new ACR model this time with more juice (and maybe motons and quaife...), 10K or 15K over base (after all they have already offered more juice for 12K over on the VOI.9 ride).

That makes good sense.

-J

K

Kaya

My only concern (not that I'll be buying one, but for those who would be) ia the cost. I mean, if Mclaren is doing the motor, that's going to add on to the already high priced exotic. Are we going to see regular production, non-special edition cars, nearing 100k? One of the great things about the Viper is its price. It undercuts all the other exotics by considerable amount of money. Even now, with the coupe's MSRP around 90k, it's still $30k less than a Porsche Turbo. I'm just wondering if DC ever thought about price and how much that could affect the sales of this amazing machine. I am glad however, that GEN1 and 2 cars have come down into the 30's and 40's for cars in great shape. This new car sounds like a sick ride, lets just see what actually happens and what it costs.

Great comment...but it's just like the Corvette...I bought a 2000 hardtop car (predecessor of the Z06) for 38k, then they came out with the 2001 385 HP Z06 and were selling almost every car for way over sticker (MSRP was around 50K) so the car was not a new body just new engine, exhaust, etc and went up in price 12 K....then we see the 2006 Z06 and they are selling for over sticker and I was told if I want one for sticker it will be 2008. Sticker is between 65 and 72K and the Blue devil is supposed to be over 100k. People will still be standing in line.....for every one.

I think Dodge won't loose...they may cut people like me and you out on the affordability....they will just develop some different customers to take our places. That's how it all works. Obviously GM pushed me out of the Vette and into the Viper because I could get an awesome new performance car that is faster than my 02 Z06 for a very, very good price....

Just my two cents......

JBsZ06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds great...and I believe the Mclaren Viper is a stop gap...

I believe there is a possiblity of the 2008 Viper to have three tiers...

650 hp killer viper..
510 hp Viper SRT/10 and then?

A similiar sized car with different sheet metal or composite body panels utilizing a heni V8..

If I were building a business case to keep the almighty Viper profitable for the corporation....

Thats what I would do...

Just a total [******] opinion and nothing more...

Thanks for the heads up.

sshorty

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But it's a viper, no V8, V10 only, its an image thing and would probably cost too much to have more than 2 engine choices especially when the 3rd engine is quite different. The challenger will fill in the lower cost v8 gap...the viper is an exotic and should always have a v10 like the 911 will always have a flat 6

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:

On the outside, the car looks pretty much the same from spy photos we’ve seen.

Geez...I hope they change the body style. Thats why I'm still stuck on Gen II.

So your saying if the Gen IV comes out with 650hp & 700 lbs of torque your not going to buy one if it looks like the Gen III?

Honestly I hope people don't buy. It'll keep the price down. But if DC/CAAP makes the new GEN IV 650HP, I’ll but it sight unseen. I have that much confidence in them. I also have said, once Dodge announces a 650hp Vipe under $100k, the market will be flooded with Z06’s & Gen III, and I would hope GEN II’s

2005 Silver SRT/10

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would agree that the price and production should be inversely proportional.

I would expect that this car would be over $100k and around 1,500 or so produced. The SRT should be as exclusive as it once was or as any halo mark.

Is Pemberton taking deposits? You can sign me up.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Hearsay on Hearsay equals Squat

Gen IV VCA HP Pool - the new Mass Debation game brought to you by the VCA Forums. Gentlepeople: The Gen IV coupe is now available from Woodhouse Dodge. It consists of a 2006 coupe with suspension mods and an after market Paxton installed by Mark Jorgensen and his merry band of Vipertechs. It comes with 700 plus HP at the crank and is completely reliable for everyday driving.

With the foregoing said, my pool entry for the real 2008 Viper is 550 HP and 150 lbs lighter with a somewhat different front fascia and hood. Is it worth waiting for? Only if you are not addicted to everyday Viper use and do not feel comfortable with the level of power provided by boost.

mit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
650 horsepower and my GTS is on autotrader(sight unseen). I didn't see the need to trade up to an SRT for 50 horse(and admittedly better brakes and suspension) when I knew they would up the ante over the Z06 a short time later. It looks like that short time is upon us. I am out of Warranty on Jan of 2008. Timing might be perfect.

At this point, I will be shocked if the car does not materialize and I expect it to come in right at $100K. I would not anticipate a tiered Viper although it kind of makes sense.

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The C6 Z06 guys have to be screeming [******].
The sun only shined on them for a few months, and now the Gen IV has the foot back on their necks:)
I think DC better put up or shut them up. (them being the media) If the Gen IV doesn't have 650hp they'll think DC F'd up.

2005 Silver SRT/10

I don't they will be screaming too much, the 650hp Blue Devil Vette should hit the streets the same time and the new Bad Boy Viper. It's said to cost probably the same at the Viper at right around $100K.

All I can say it's GREAT to be an American :laugh:

EXECMALIBU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back in 2002 when I mentioned on this Very site the idea of a FACTORY Special Option "HI-PO" or "Super Viper" at additional cost..I was hammered into the ground for even mentioning such a thing!!

Any of you guys remember at that same time many of the all knowing members on this site also said that no car company would ever build a car with over 500 HP "FOR LEGAL REASONS"..

A year later D/C built the SL65 and the SLR McCLAREN..604 HP and 640 HP..Now they are thinking about a 650HP VIPER AND A 740 HP SLR!

The idea of a special order "Viper S" IMHO is a great idea!

Every other car is available in a HI-PO version! (911 TURBO S, ZO6, SL65 ETC)

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since the Viper is already limited in production to @ 2000 units per year, having 2 engine choices is financially unsound. Also, if I buy a Gen IV I don't want to hear people always asking "Did you get the fast or the slower one?"

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same engine / three models.

SRT/10
SRT/Coupe
SRT/ACR Coupe = $10k-$15k extra

Make that four
SRT/10 ACR VCA limited edition:)

2005 Silver SRT/10

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BINGO!

Since the Viper is already limited in production to @ 2000 units per year, having 2 engine choices is financially unsound. Also, if I buy a Gen IV I don't want to hear people always asking "Did you get the fast or the slower one?"

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
BINGO!

second this motion!!!!

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bobpantax is right. Buy the un-appreciated srt/10 for a great low price (new) from Woodhouse. Have them install the Paxton before delivery for 10,000.00 more.

And start kicking Z06 and Ford GT a$$ NOW !

Even if you want the new Super Viper later you'll have fun for the next 2+ years.

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yer all wrong...

Gen IV will be AWD, and sorta engine retro, with 12 cylinders. One slant 6 to power the right side, one the left. Differential throttle will provide tank-like steering. Why slant 6? Durability is the # 1 factor, you see.