Hennessey 2008 ACR in One Lap of America ..... looking good !!!!

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i found this quote on ferrari chat

Did you know the One Lap times are the aggregation of three laps? Did you know that the ACR Viper is pretty trick with ECU tied to steering angle, electronic rear diff, traction control, and Hennessy bolt-ons? That ACR Viper is an absolute monster, and definitely not something you can buy straight off the showroom floor.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i found this quote on ferrari chat

Did you know the One Lap times are the aggregation of three laps? Did you know that the ACR Viper is pretty trick with ECU tied to steering angle, electronic rear diff, traction control, and Hennessy bolt-ons? That ACR Viper is an absolute monster, and definitely not something you can buy straight off the showroom floor.

That misinformation came from another driver of the event that posted on 6speedonline.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like I said you are going to see everyone come up with every reason in the book why the ACR was so dominant. Way to go SRT team for creating such a beast.

DEKE01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm one of the, if not the biggest advocates of the ACR, and ON A PORSCHE FORUM.

This is my first and most likely last post to you. Your statement above shows you what you are, someone who loves to stir the *** and argue just for the sake of arguing, a Troll.

I don't think you should be banned, you should be ingored. That's far worse punishment to Trolls. I hope my fellow VCA members and enthusiasts will follow my lead on this. Bye Troll

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No TCS/ E-Dif/ ECU tied to steering diff.
It's just basically a 650R with the tires changed to PS2s and a less agressive suspension.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No TCS/ E-Dif/ ECU tied to steering diff.
It's just basically a 650R with the tires changed to PS2s and a less agressive suspension.

No way man... the only way anything can beat a gtr is with an SR-71 engine stuffed under the hood... that's all of the TEN cars that beat the gtr! :rolleyes: :rolaugh:

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are a lot of guys from the one lap that claim they got the info on the tires from Winkler himself. One thing is for sure, this is a tire that tire rack carries specifically for the Viper, so the truth will come out eventually, no need to continue speculating. He said it's worth about 1.5 seconds per lap over PS2.

That still only brings the gap down to 6-16 seconds at most of the one lap tracks and maybe a loss to the mongoose at one of them (mid america I think).

Also that the TC and Stability is a prototype which was being tested and should be available in a couple of years on the Viper, so we'll likely have to wait a little longer for confirmation of that or not. Still rumors, but coming from quite a bit of sources of the drivers at the one lap. And quotes from winkler himself.

does he post here?

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are a lot of guys from the one lap that claim they got the info on the tires from Winkler himself. One thing is for sure, this is a tire that tire rack carries specifically for the Viper, so the truth will come out eventually, no need to continue speculating. He said it's worth about 1.5 seconds per lap over PS2.

That still only brings the gap down to 6-16 seconds at most of the one lap tracks and maybe a loss to the mongoose at one of them (mid america I think).

Also that the TC and Stability is a prototype which was being tested and should be available in a couple of years on the Viper, so we'll likely have to wait a little longer for confirmation of that or not. Still rumors, but coming from quite a bit of sources of the drivers at the one lap. And quotes from winkler himself.

does he post here?

Bluestreak --

Just an FYI, when the 2008s were coming out I actually asked Luke at Tire Rack the question regarding the Viper-spec PS2 tires (they are designated "C1" on the Michelin and TireRack webistes). Luke reported that there is no difference in the rubber compound from the "regular" PS2 and the Viper version. As I recall, there may be some fairly minor differences in other aspects of the tire but nothing significant.

I am also still unclear regarding rumors of an electronic diff and other ECU mods on the One Lap ACR. The tuner has reported that other than a header/exhaust and K&N filter(and possibly brake?) upgrade the car is essentially stock (in fact even less than stock given the replacement of the sport cup tires with PS2s and the use of a less aggressive suspension setup for the PS2s). Is Chris the driver reporting directly to you or is this second-hand information? Thanks.

/Rich

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

does he post here?

You realize the SRT engineers that built the car said it didn't have any of that crap. Go check the SRT chat thread from last night.

patgilm

Enthusiast
Reaction score

does he post here?

I don't get it, everyone keeps talking about this so called TC and Stability control that the Viper had. I am sure they put this prototype on the Viper that was competing in the OLA and only had a few weeks to test it. Why would they even risk testing something like this in competition if it is just a prototype and not fully tested? Doesn't make one bit of sense. I love how certain people at 6speed continue to make this argument based on "reliable" sources even though JH already posted that there was no TC gizmo you guys are claiming. Now you are stating that this rumor is coming from the actual driver? Unbelievable.

Oh, and based on the SRT Engineer chat yesterday, here is what one of the engineers had to say but I'm sure he's lying too.

"Contrary to rumors about 'electronic diffs', traction control, etc., on the recent One Lap of America, the ACR Viper that dominated the road course events had a completely STOCK ViscoLok differential and it performed flawlessly."

Last edited:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't get it, everyone keeps talking about this so called TC and Stability control that the Viper had. I am sure they put this prototype on the Viper that was competing in the OLA and only had a few weeks to test it. Why would they even risk testing something like this in competition if it is just a prototype and not fully tested? Doesn't make one bit of sense. I love how certain people at 6speed continue to make this argument based on "reliable" sources even though JH already posted that there was no TC gizmo you guys are claiming. Now you are stating that this rumor is coming from the actual driver? Unbelievable.

Oh, and based on the SRT Engineer chat yesterday, here is what one of the engineers had to say but I'm sure he's lying too.

"Contrary to rumors about 'electronic diffs', traction control, etc., on the recent One Lap of America, the ACR Viper that dominated the road course events had a completely STOCK ViscoLok differential and it performed flawlessly."

The rumors are all b.s. These rumors were also beaten to death on the other forum where the tuner addressed them one by one as well as a few members who were present at some of the events. Chris, the driver, didn't start any rumors. Don't listen to these trolls. The tolls are here to stir the *** from other forums and have nothing better to do.

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
another point, if the car had e-diff and TC, how did it do so badly on the wet skidpad? the argument doesn't hold water............no pun intended

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats the problem with rumors. Once they get traction there's very little you can do to stop it. None of the 6speeders want to believe that a very mildly modded Viper could demolish there highly modded German supercars so easily and completely. The rumor allows the haters to digest the results without slitting their limp wrists. I love both cars but even if the Viper did have all that stuff on it it still would be less modded/expensive than the Porsche no? However there are no excuses/rumors that will make the truth go away.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats the problem with rumors. Once they get traction there's very little you can do to stop it. None of the 6speeders want to believe that a very mildly modded Viper could demolish there highly modded German supercars so easily and completely. The rumor allows the haters to digest the results without slitting their limp wrists. I love both cars but even if the Viper did have all that stuff on it it still would be less modded/expensive than the Porsche no? However there are no excuses/rumors that will make the truth go away.

I truly believe that the drivers got a rude awakening from the ACR. Think about it...in this day and age of TC, paddle shifters, turbos, cup-holders and every electronic aid under the sun the ACR handily spanked them with a stock, naturally aspirated engine without any electronic gizmo's. I don't think some people can comprehend this. So... there MUST be something illegal or out of the ordinary...that's the only explanation for them. They can't let people know they were beaten by an 'ordinary' race car. I find it quite funny actually. One thing is for certain...they are talking about the ACR whether they like it or not.

Luke@tirerack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
can I chime in ????

I do have some information about this subject ... the tires used on that car were so far from legal it's not even funnny ... we aired them up with a special blend of helium and Jupiter atomospheric gases which automatically gave them the ability to bend the space/time continuum .... how else could a Viper be fast on a road course ...

what? that doesn't sound believable ???

In reality I sat in the car, watched them put stickers on the car, wash the car, and many other activities .... including (here's where things get interesting) install a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 C1 tires which are indentical to the tires that came on the car from the factory and the tires which come on every 2008 Viper ... the tires were identified and branded with a specific marking to abvoid any of the competitors from using cheater tires ... if you read the rules every tire used for 1 Lap has to come from us and must be indentified and branded .... it is not possible to run a cheater tire .... there were other cars running the same tires from the exact same production batch ... the CopMagnet C6 Z06 was one of them ...

Chris did not have any tire advantage other than the sheer width the Viper uses ...

Last edited:

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe what ViperTony said about the other drivers not believing the got there A$$ spanked by a nearly stock viper that didnt have all of the special features of newer race cars is of course their excuse. The reality guys is that we are going to see more and more ACR's on the track truly dominating the rest of the competition and honestly until then, I dont think most will be believers. The only way they will believe is when they see a truly stock ACR hand a Porsche or the like a true pounding on the track, which is going to happen, even against the ZR1. OK I know that may stir some pots, but I dont think the ZR1 will stand a chance. I agree that the ACR was not that highly upgraded other than small bolt ons, but it was still upgraded. Stock goes a LONG way and says alot. And when the stock ACR does what most of us think it will do, then there will be no excuses out there PERIOD.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Woah there guys, I beleive I said it was rumor. I also asked for clarification and if some of the engineers post here, which they do and they said differently, so end of story. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I dont trust anything with JH behind it which is the only reason I beleived it, aside from the numersou respectable drivers that competed in the event. Most are car guys and love to talk cars, I dont see the one lap as a step on the next guy, win at all costs event, so I didnt think all these guys would have just made something like that up especially when they have intricate details on how the parts have been developed etc.

As far fetched as TC on a Viper sounds, pro drivers making up stories of TC on a Viper is even more far fetched. So dont get your ******* in a ***. The ACR handled it's business as it should have (most hp, most downforce, biggest tires, factory driver). I dont think anyone needs excuses for getting beat by it. It was the best car in the event.

Also concerning the tires, I was told in 2006 at a Road Racing event by a Corvette tuner that there were new tires coming out for the Viper that were hybrid PSC/PS2 and not because of competition, he just really wanted some as did I after hearing about them. Combine that with all the speculation over what tires were coming with the Viper and the special PS2's and a special tire isnt so hard to beleive, but if they are what comes for the Viper, who cares?

Red Coachwhip

Enthusiast
Reaction score
About the GT-R in Autoblog ("Stock Nissan GT-R fares well in One Lap"):
(...) Despite a few difficulties, in the end the car was praised for its comfort level and ample luggage capacity for the week long journey.
Linky: Stock Nissan GT-R fares well in One Lap - Autoblog

I'm REALLY looking forward to their follow-up article:
"The H******y Venom Viper SRT-10 (with hyperdrive), got a pity-behind 2nd place although it won nearly every track race of the OLA... but you can't fit a hamster cage in the trunk and it rides like a race car, so it sukz big time"

(OK, I might've overdone it)

Edit: could we stop talking about nonsensical rumors?

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My only argument... If the ACR had all these secret TC installed... why did it do so badly on the wet courses? I thought TC fixes all... especially one that can kick everyone else's butt. :rolleyes:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My only argument... If the ACR had all these secret TC installed... why did it do so badly on the wet courses? I thought TC fixes all... especially one that can kick everyone else's butt. :rolleyes:

Chris unhooked the rear-sway bar for the wet skid pad and its something he regrets doing. But I still call Bluestreak a TROLL. Why? The SRT engineers answered the allegations of the ACR in the on-line chat. Luke at Tire Rack also chimed in. And, whether you like him or not, the tuner addressed all of these rumors several times over. So, either everyone is lying and you've unearthed a great big conspiracy or its quite possible these people are telling the truth. There's also another possibility...its quite possible that the ACR team could be messing with the other driver's heads. Heck...I would. That would be a lot of fun.

j-rho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can somebody get Chris Winkler to post in here directly regarding the rumors around the traction control bit? See the link below posted by Mark DaVaia. You have to take everything you read on the Internet with a grain of salt, and sure, you could argue that he's trying to protect his ego after having been tromped so bad on the dry track events, but c'mon, the guy has won the thing 5 years straight, does he really have that much left to prove in this arena?
6speedonline.com Forums - View Single Post - Fairfield County Motorsport in conjunction with EPL sends two 996tt’s to the OneLap!

As for tires, I think we are pretty sure now the car was running 2008 OEM non-ACR Viper PS2s, aka "C1", and that anything anybody said of this new tire's improved performance relative to the "old tire" (the 1.6 second thing) must take into consideration that the "old tire" was a crappy runflat.

If it were me prepping the car, I would've found a way to run the 345's up front too... :)

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can somebody get Chris Winkler to post in here directly regarding the rumors around the traction control bit? See the link below posted by Mark DaVaia. You have to take everything you read on the Internet with a grain of salt, and sure, you could argue that he's trying to protect his ego after having been tromped so bad on the dry track events, but c'mon, the guy has won the thing 5 years straight, does he really have that much left to prove in this arena?
6speedonline.com Forums - View Single Post - Fairfield County Motorsport in conjunction with EPL sends two 996tt’s to the OneLap!

As for tires, I think we are pretty sure now the car was running 2008 OEM non-ACR Viper PS2s, aka "C1", and that anything anybody said of this new tire's improved performance relative to the "old tire" (the 1.6 second thing) must take into consideration that the "old tire" was a crappy runflat.

If it were me prepping the car, I would've found a way to run the 345's up front too... :)

From the SRT Engineers:
Could you tell us about the perfomance characteristics of the new diff and how it compares to aftermarket units?

The all new GKN ViscoLok differential is a 4 pinion, speed sensing limited slip differential. All previous Viper differentials were a 2 pinion design. The 4 pinions in the diff housing give the new diff improved torque capacity compared to previous diffs. The limited slip mechanism is a self contained viscous shear pump... when wheel speed differential occurs, the pump feeds pressure to a clutch pack to provide the necessary rear grip. The beauty of the self contained internal pump is that there is no delay for engagement, and it performs very well throughout a wide temperature range due to the stability of the viscous fluid.

Contrary to rumors about 'electronic diffs', traction control, etc., on the recent One Lap of America, the ACR Viper that dominated the road course events had a completely STOCK ViscoLok differential and it performed flawlessly.

From Luke@Tirerack:
"In reality I sat in the car, watched them put stickers on the car, wash the car, and many other activities .... including (here's where things get interesting) install a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 C1 tires which are indentical to the tires that came on the car from the factory and the tires which come on every 2008 Viper ... the tires were identified and branded with a specific marking to abvoid any of the competitors from using cheater tires ... if you read the rules every tire used for 1 Lap has to come from us and must be indentified and branded .... it is not possible to run a cheater tire .... there were other cars running the same tires from the exact same production batch ... the CopMagnet C6 Z06 was one of them ...

Chris did not have any tire advantage other than the sheer width the Viper uses ..."

Stock tires, no elec rear diff or gadgets...You have it from the sources.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Damn even Davia is getting involved with the whining. Im disappointed to see that. Now its driver, elec diff, tires etc. I cant keep up with the excuses. He sounds pretty convinced of TC-Gate at OLA 08. I believe SRT when they say it was a stock diff etc and the spin outs at VIR just add to the believability of a non TC diff. I really believe a bonestock ACR would have done the same to Davia albiet the gaps would have been a few secs less.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Luke also said he questioned if the remote reservoirs on the car were OE. Meaning a trick suspension setup.

See where all of this is getting confusing, numerous reports from people there looking at the car.

Notice that JH didnt mention anything about the suspension changes, or is Luke now a liar too becasue he posted about a mod on the Viper? Cant take the pepper without the salt can you?

I agree, getting Winkler himself in here to chime in would settle all of this.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn even Davia is getting involved with the whining. Im disappointed to see that. Now its driver, elec diff, tires etc. I cant keep up with the excuses. He sounds pretty convinced of TC-Gate at OLA 08. I believe SRT when they say it was a stock diff etc and the spin outs at VIR just add to the believability of a non TC diff. I really believe a bonestock ACR would have done the same to Davia albiet the gaps would have been a few secs less.

TC does not make you invincible to spinning out, especially in the rain. Stabilty controls helps a lot, but you can ALWAYS spin a car no matter how many gadgets are on it.

j-rho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, do you not understand the difference between a traction or stability control system, and a differential? Just because the car had a stock '08 diff, does not mean that it could not have also been equipped with a racing-caliber traction or stability control system. The "electronic diff" thing was a confusing mess of a straw man that should be ignored.

ViperTony, I am essentially agreeing with what Luke posted WRT tires. My point there is that a tire need not have the Michelin PSC compound to be substantially faster than the old runflat PS2.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TC does not make you invincible to spinning out, especially in the rain. Stabilty controls helps a lot, but you can ALWAYS spin a car no matter how many gadgets are on it.

I know but it was suggested that the TC unit was tied into steering angle and all being a part of the elect diff etc. Too many variables involved in roadracing, especially in the wet, to make blanket statements but just trying to use logic on it. This is all idle chatter based on erroneous rumors so it all doesnt matter in the grand scheme of things.