Hennessey (bad) business article in AutoWeek

The Joker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting reading. Please note from the article:

According to a lawsuit filed in Salt Lake City, Utah resident Taig Stewart sent his Viper GTS to Hennessey last May for an engine upgrade to 1100 hp along with several other modifications. For that he wire-transferred $142,500 to Hennessey. The lawsuit states the parties agreed the car would be done by mid-July 2001. As of press time the car was still sitting under a tarp in Hennessey’s shop in Houston. Or most of the car, anyway. Stewart’s suit claims Hennessey sold the car’s engine, transmission, wheels, tires and hood. The suit seeks return of the money, the Viper and “no less than $1 million” in punitive damages.

Hennessey claims he’s just slow in getting the work done.

“My side of the story is we’re planning on finishing his car and planning on giving him everything that he paid for,” said Hennessey. As for the parts being sold, “That’s totally false. We’ve got all his parts in the shop except the hood and he wanted to do a lightweight hood.”

Stewart is not the first unsatisfied customer. The longer we dug the more dissatisfaction we found. Here’s a sampling:

On Nov. 14 a New Jersey court entered a final judgement of $133,674 against Hennessey on behalf of Viper owner Gary Dan for a botched conversion.

William Walters said he is out over $22,000 after shipping his Corvette to Hennessey for a head and cam package that was never done; he did have five rods bent and a head gasket damaged on the dyno in Hennessey’s shop during an experiment Hennessey tried with nitrous oxide.

Jerry Johnson said he had to file suit in Placer County Court in California to straighten out registration and engine computer problems on a Viper he bought from Hennessey. n Jon Belinkie said he loves the changes made to his Viper but had to sue in his home state of Maryland, then register the judgement in Texas, to recover overcharges Hennessey made on his American Express card.

Rick Ryan said he had to hound Hennessey for eight months by long distance from Marietta, Georgia, to put the proper wing and stripes on his Viper.

Mark Lublin said he sent his Viper cylinder heads to Hennessey for new valves but when the heads came back he found the “new” valves were actually used; a cam that was delivered to Lublin in a Hennessey box turned out to be a stock Chrysler cam. Lublin was finally refunded $5,715 from American Express but only after nine months of disputing the charge; and he got no money from Hennessey.

Bruce Iannatuono said he ordered $8,500 worth of Hennessey parts for his mechanic in Baltimore to install but was only able to use two-thirds of what was shipped, and then only after haranguing Hennessey for six months on an order that was originally promised in five weeks.

Most of the complaints come from outside Texas. Hennessey, some said, tends to take better care of local customers.

“If you were out of state, man you were fair game,” said Kyle Kent, a former employee at Hennessey Motorsports. When an out-of-state car came in it was sometimes parted out, with the wheels, tires and whatever else looked good going to other cars waiting to be finished or sold outright, according to Kent and others inside Hennessey Motorsports. Then Hennessey would call the car’s owner and try to sell him an upgraded kit. If the customer balked, Hennessey would take parts from other cars in the shop, or just let the job sit.

Kent described one typical disassembly on an out-of-state Viper. “The motor and transmission went into a Durango John was putting together, the brakes went to someone else, the hood went to a guy in Ohio, the rear bumper to South Carolina, man you name it. We had multiple cars like that.”

Another common practice was putting stock parts on what was supposed to be an upgraded car.

“One customer spent $130,000 to $140,000 and that guy thought he had purchased a Venom 650R package which he thought came with the stroker motor,” Kent said. “John told him he was getting a stroker. He was just getting heads and cams.”

Hennessey denies any wrongdoing.

USAF BAD ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it's only a matter of time now.. they probably could have dug up a dozen more stories just like that... the worst part was the former employee and how they parted out stuff.. if I worked there and found out that was going on I'd be outta there and shouting to high heaven about him.. If he goes down with criminal charges, you can bet the employees who participated with full knowledge will be right there with him... they'll probably get some slack to testify against him though...

Eddie N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hennescrewed.com is available for anyone who wants it, but it seems like its only a matter of time now..

i guess my conspiracy theory torwards mostly non texans being screwed was correct..

- eddie -

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slightly off of this thread topic, but...I noticed something interesting in the article. One client paid with his Amex card, was able to dispute his bill/charge and, ultimately, got a refund. I'd venture that JH no longer accepts Amex, but we might all take note of this safeguard. I have found that Amex is simply the BEST credit card company when it comes to disputes. BTW, I have no personal experience with JH and have no realtionship with Amex (other than charging a lot of $ on my card). Just seemed to be the ONLY bright spot in that article. My .02

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CitySnake:
Slightly off of this thread topic, but...I noticed something interesting in the article. One client paid with his Amex card, was able to dispute his bill/charge and, ultimately, got a refund. I'd venture that JH no longer accepts Amex, but we might all take note of this safeguard. I have found that Amex is simply the BEST credit card company when it comes to disputes. BTW, I have no personal experience with JH and have no realtionship with Amex (other than charging a lot of $ on my card). Just seemed to be the ONLY bright spot in that article. My .02
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One downside with American Express, it will not refund for services.... only goods.

The one thing in the article that sort of stuck out was this comment:

“My side of the story is we’re planning on finishing his car and planning on giving him everything that he paid for,” said Hennessey.”

When this is what he posted on this site eight weeks ago:

"....His car will be returned back to stock and returned to him in the same condition in which we received it soon. I hope that the remaining issues will be worked out to everyones satisfaction as quickly as possible....."

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately there is a sucker born every minute and John has a built in homing unit and he will find them.Not only that, probably the closest he will ever get to jail is the deputy in the courthouse when he goes to court for those florida boys.The honest guys get scr***d and crooks get rich especially good ole boys, sad but true so I wouldn't start sounding the trumpets to the tuner police it ain't gonna happen.This stuff has been going on a long time and your just starting to hear the stories over the last few months and when someone reads a hennessey ad in the dupont registry after they bought their new viper and want to be the big man on campus they are going to call John and John is going to sell them a $40k set of exhaust, heads and stickers.If John gives them at least that,most won't know the difference and everyone will be happy.The way I see it the only mistake John made was getting greedy instead of giving the customer a little bit for their money he gave them nothing.I am definately not a Hennessey fan and I think all the stuff you are reading is true but there is an old saying a fool and his money soon part, and if you don't know better than to wire somebody 142k for an engine upgrade, I mean who in their right mind would do that?
Am I the only guy who believes in a deposit and balance due at completion and satisfaction? Hopefully I am wrong and he will get whats coming to him but I doubt it.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow...

These people must feel like **** victims.

Good luck to everyone that got 'Hennescrewed'. I hope you get your money back and then some..........

Later

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jamie furman:
Am I the only guy who believes in a deposit and balance due at completion and satisfaction? Hopefully I am wrong and he will get whats coming to him but I doubt it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are definitely NOT the only guy that feels like a deposit was in order. Trusting a name is one thing, apparently common sense is another. I am sorry Taig got ripped, I really am but...... who in their right mind would wire transfer 142K before a damned thing was done. I am stunned!

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm really glad that the press is finally getting wind of his practices. Maybe other mags will see this, do their own homework and run their own stories. Although not all who will potentially give John their money will see it, this is just one more step to educating the public. First the online community, now the magazines. Maybe one of the cable auto shows would like to run a story. If anyone has any contact with them, pass along the info. I'm up for an interview anytime.
As far as Taig sending 140K, I think some of you guys have it wrong. Think about it, many, many people have sent him 30-40K for motor upgrades. This to Taig was the ultimate upgrade which came with a hefty price tag. To me, that is way too much money, but to someone who might be considered very wealthy it might not seem like that much money at all. Something being considered very expensive is all relative to a persons income.

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to say Marc Lubin took a lot of **** for stating what happened to him over and over. He also posted a number of times trying to protect other people and got slammed over and over by Hennesites.

Marc it must feel pretty good to see it is finally out for all to see.

RECOIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure most of you know this, but MC/VISA purchases can be challenged too. It's not just AMEX.

I've purchased items with my VISA and had to dispute the charges because of unscrupulous vendors.

I never buy on the internet with a VISA check card. You don't have the same kind of protection.

Just FYI everyone.

Steve

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry for the unrelated post but have you taken that 800 RWHP beast out to the track yet?
smile.gif
That is a SWEET car!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gerald:
Taig had some interesting comments on the corvetteforum board regarding this subject. I must agree with his statements. It's in the OFF TOPIC section. Last time I checked it was on the 3rd page and is a few pages long.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=271892&page=3

Gerald
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Eddie N:
You must be registered for see images

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

NOW, NOW, EDDIE............PLAY NICE.
smile.gif
smile.gif

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
will he have a booth or setup at the upcoming VOI?

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by FikseGTS on 04-06-2002 at 04:35 PM</font>

don527

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A DUNKING booth maybe?
smile.gif

Sorry to intrude, but that one was just all set up waiting for someone to say it.

Don
'01 Z06

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery