Hennessey does 10.77 @ 133mph

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hennessey does 10.77 @ 133mph in '08 Viper

With just exhaust and header mods on a badly prepped track. Also, notice that he hit 135mph on street tires in the 1/4 mile. Here is a paste;

Just got back from the 1/4 mile. Here is the short report (the longer report, pics and videos are coming later):

1. 2008 Viper SRT10 convertible. 100% stock engine, airbox, suspsension.
2. Mods: Hennessey long tube 1 7/8 stainless steel headers with Burns collectors flowing through full 3 inch. stainless exhaust with mufflers and no cats. Also ran with Stoptech cross drilled rotors which save about 8 lbs per corner.
3. Car dyno'd 608 rw hp SAE on the Dynojet a few days ago.
4. 93 octane pump gas - about a 1/2 tank.
5. Car was run at full weight which was 3462 lbs with fuel and no driver.
6. First 4 passes were on BFG 345/18 drag radials running about 15 psi.
7. All of the drag radial runs were in the 10's with some tire spin and wheel hop.
8. Air temps started around 50 deg. and ended at about 56 deg. Track was cold. Track prep was OK but not great as we ran out of VHT today. I need to give the track owner a hard time about this as he should have been better prepared for us....
9. First run was 10.91 @ 133 mph, 2nd run was 10.83 @ 132 mph, 3rd run was 10.77 @ 133 mph and 4th run was 10.91 @ 131 mph. The best 60 ft. was the 10.77 run with a 1.77 short time.
10. Switched over to the street tires and aired them down to 15 psi. Got way more wheel hop and tire spin on these.
11. Best run on the street tires was the first run at 11.33 @ 135.2 mph! That speed is shockingly fast. Next run was 11.4 @ 133 mph. 3rd run was 11.8 @ 133 mph and the traction had pretty much gone away. So we didnt make any more runs.

OK, there you have it. First time for a stock motor 2008 Viper with bolt-on headers, exhaust, rotors and drag radials goes some solid 10's.

The 2008 Viper is one impressive package all the way around. I am sure this is just the begining.

More info. later on. I am tired and want to go watch some football.

Last edited:

Dave T(BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its too bad he didnt run it completely stock (including tires/wheels) a few times before adding the mods. It will be the same ol' story..."its not stock".

OP
OP
A

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are plenty of other Viper owners who can do stock runs. All he did was modify the exhaust and headers. A good dealer, like Ringgold Dodge could do that for you, before it leaves the showroom. Based on trap speeds vs. times, the driver or track were not the best. 135mph is very fast for a basically stock car.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its too bad he didnt run it completely stock (including tires/wheels) a few times before adding the mods. It will be the same ol' story..."its not stock".

Those are decent times, but I think you could almost run those times with just tires without the mods. I think the reason a lot of people like to see them run stock is we all know of a ton of 10 sec modified cars, especially vipers!, so you don't get that excited to see one with headers, exhaust, no cats and Drag Radials just break into 10's with over 700 crank horsepower at least I don't. I think some of these Northeast Viper Owners will be getting some times close to the ones Hennessey ran today with Bone Stock vipers in the spring when the tracks open with the good air, or sooner if they rent the tracks.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A good dealer, like Ringgold Dodge could do that for you, before it leaves the showroom.

A dealer will not remove your cats.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Mopar man. It surprises me that you have knowledge of a dealer that has removed cats from a Viper. It is illegal to do so unless the cats are damaged and require replacement and probably constitutes a violation of their franchise agreement. If they are taking this type of risk, I wonder what else may be occurring at that dealership. Does the general manager of the dealership know what his service department is doing? Sorry for the off topic post.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geezuz krist....makes one wonder...do I spend 20k on mods, or simply get an 08...decisions decisions decisions.

But, we are in legendary times here w/ our beloved car. Is it just me? or do others realize these numbers are light years ahead of our competition for a basically stock naturally aspirated car!

WOW!

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Mopar man. It surprises me that you have knowledge of a dealer that has removed cats from a Viper. It is illegal to do so unless the cats are damaged and require replacement and probably constitutes a violation of their franchise agreement. If they are taking this type of risk, I wonder what else may be occurring at that dealership. Does the general manager of the dealership know what his service department is doing? Sorry for the off topic post.

What does it matter to you? I know of a great Dodge dealer that will remove your cats if it makes you , the customer happy. My dealer goes way overboard to make me happy and they get my money for it , lots of it. And , yes they prep cars for the track also , is that a sin? :rolleyes: Now go **** a tree..........

Last edited:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What does it matter to you? I know of a great Dodge dealer that will remove your cats if it makes you , the customer happy. My dealer goes way overboard to make me happy and they get my money for it , lots of it. And , yes they prep cars for the track also , is that a sin? :rolleyes: Now go **** a tree..........

Sharing data and opinions in a mature fashion is the main purpose of this board. A wise old man once said that if a dealer is willing to flaunt the Feds, it might not have any qualms cheating on the customer. A dealer can lawfully prep a car for off road use. A dealer cannot lawfully remove cats. Many Viper dealers provide exceptional service, including mine. Hopefully, few knowingly violate Federal law.

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bobpantax who cares! Why do you care? You don't strike me as a tree hugger I mean you have a Viper with a Blower. Come on

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sharing data and opinions in a mature fashion is the main purpose of this board. A wise old man once said that if a dealer is willing to flaunt the Feds, it might not have any qualms cheating on the customer. A dealer can lawfully prep a car for off road use. A dealer cannot lawfully remove cats. Many Viper dealers provide exceptional service, including mine. Hopefully, few knowingly violate Federal law.

who is this guy?

:bsm:

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A thread about a 10 sec run in an 08 & we're posting about how coniving a dealer is or isn't if they remove the cats for you. Oh brother.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mr Pantax,

I guess all the Speed GT Vipers and Vipers running in Le man have cats......

A dealer could prep a car for whatever you request. It is not their responsibility to oversee if you track the car only or run it on the street.

No go back to driving your S/c Viper at the speed limit and running 13's down the 1/4 mile, you definatley wouldnt want to waste gas or burn up those cats by using the gas pedal.

1Need4Speed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok going back to the original post:headbang:

Awesome run with the 2008. Keep the fast times coming!

Trying running a 700 hp car down the strip with stock tires. It requires a lot of skill with the clutch. So why not Drag Radials there basically street tires anyway.:dunno:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bobpantax who cares! Why do you care? You don't strike me as a tree hugger I mean you have a Viper with a Blower. Come on

It has nothing to do with tree hugging. It has alot to do with supporting reputable dealers and the posting rules of this site. Off road use is different. Cats are not required for off road use. Enjoy your Vipers.

1. Personal assaults, threats, stalking, promotion or suggestions of illegal activity, use of copyrighted material, fraudulent statements, or comments derogatory to any social group or individual will be subject to deletion.
  2. Posts attacking other posters rather than disagreeing with the post will be subject to deletion

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
userSRTbro_