Hennessey Motorsports BUYER BEWARE

Serious Eric

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While you have my sympathy, I should say your research of the various tuners should have included a trip through this board's archives. You would have found numerous vocal customers, both satisfied and otherwise.

The only real way to safeguard yourself when it comes to such custom work is to KNOW the shop's reputation from it's customers, not from it's own marketing efforts.

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even well balanced, objective, fair and open minded readers may have some cause for concern given the proliferation of these type posts. Pretty hard to ignore .........

BurnR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
and the hits just keep comin'!!!! I still want to know if AZVIPERS got his bezels or his refund after HMS's promise on this board....the page on that thread has been removed.
You must be registered for see images

BurnR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
could be OCD

I am real, I loved his products....two orders; two problems...fool me once shame on him...fool me twice shame on me...no third time.

ROE Racing...great customer service and Sean builds great stuff
Parts Rack...JonB is a God
Autoform....my car looks great and Jerry was beyond helpful
MGW....got my stuff two days before I was supposed to and just wish they had more do dads that I could buy ;-)

This tells me two things...1) this board is costing me a ton of money and 2)when customer service is done correctly everyone wins....I have spoken to John H on multiple occasions and he was very nice...then when there is a problem it is like he never existed...total bummer.

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This story and others about HMS just continue to amaze me. I can not see how this guy and I talked with, and used the same John Hennessey. I just completed the installation of the Venom 650 package. I even had it done in Atlanta and not Texas. As you can imagine, it required LOTS of communication and the shiping of parts here to Atlanta. I can confirm: NOT ONE GLITCH. I got everything and more than I asked for from John. He was always available - somtimes it took him a few hours to return calls but he did. He even called to check in on the progress and to offer assitance. NOW GET THIS. He is flying in to Atlanta on Friday to sign off on the final product. How can he treat me so well, and others of you so bad??? I just have a problem with it. I can substantiate that I am who I say I am and that I do have a newly completed Venom 650R. I am beginning to wonder if some of these tales are not just - fairy tales. Now, having said that, I am sure that I will be flamed. I am also sure that there are true and accurate tales of HMS and poor service - and this may well be one of them. But I for one can tell you that for all the smoke I am seeing, I encountered absolutly no fire.

Regards,

Reaction score
Over the years John has always been very personable. I have read good and bad over the same period. A couple weeks ago at our Viper autocross school one club member drove a Miata with a Ford V8 because his car was months late from HMS. His salesmanship is great but his ability to meet commitment dates seems to be lacking! I feel Keeping commitments is a basic building block of our character. Hope John hires some one to manage his production schedule and make reasonable customer commitments and provide good customer service so we can see post about HMS that resemble those of Woodhouse, PartsRack, TNT, Dan Cragin, etc.

pj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting questions - so what would you expect to be that action of last resort? Vinne makes a stop in to visit the man himself?

No. Legal action - regardless of the outcome to the defendent - is sometime necessary.

By the way - don't count on being able to close shop and open a new one the next day and NOT expect to be held liable. If it were that easy, then nobody would ever have to pay a judgement.

(This is not a commentary of the HMS story - this is a merely a comment on the post above mine. Most tuners have their supporters and distractors - even Mr. Wilks had people in both categories.)

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've tried to warn people of tuners out there who are less than reputable. In response to Martin, I think everyone who read your post, no matter what they feel about Hennessey is very happy that you had a good experience. You are not the norm, though. Knowing what I know about his practices, you might not even have what you think you have. If I were you I would be inclined to test your car against a dyno. I'm sure he gave you the dyno results and I hope they match up.
I also feel he has done alot for the Viper community and is probably the spark that ignited many mods and tuners as well. Maybe it's because there are more tuners out there (more competition), that we keep hearing stories of people being ripped off. One would think it would make him more consciencious? I cannot go into my details in a public forum because of pending legal action, but anyone who hasn't already emailed me, please do so and I will tell you about what happened to me. I don't want to see anyone else losing their hard earned dollars. My wife always said that if anyone out there really new me there would never be a question in their mind about my truthfulness. Of course there are always two sides, but please don't ignore it when so many people come forth with similar experiences. It's not just a coincidence!