Hennessy 650 for sale - what to look for?

GTS1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There's a 1998 Hennessy 650 (supposedly) for sale a few hours away from me. 39k miles on it and they asking under $40,000. I know Hennessy has a bad rap during certain years. But is there anyway to tell if this one has the claimed build? Other than taking it to a dyno and paying for a few runs?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What to look for? A place to run to away from away from the car. I would only offer what the car is worth in stock form and maybe even deduct some for the 650 upgrade.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hennessy does not have a good name in the viper world

Speed SG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would pass, I saw that car posted on their quite some time ago and obviously no takers......for good reason.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For starters, open the hood and make certain the engine is there. Then, well there's no easy way to determine if it has the V650 package or not. Many owners got ripped off thinking their vipers were upgraded when they weren't. I'd run away from it.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some V650's were built well, most weren't. Typically ones that were Texas cars are built correctly since John H tended to not want to be sued by in-state customers....preferring to rob out of staters. So if you find one that was titled first in Texas, or ideally Houston, you probably have a good one.

As one who bought one that wasn't done well and put it back into shape, the only way to tell about the engine upgrades (basically Greg Good heads, cam, port matched intake and bigger TBs) is to put it on a dyno (unless you want to tear it down......dyno is easier). They should make between 560 and 590 RW (mine is now 585 after Greg redid the heads and had the stupid torque but no HP cam changed out); anything in that range is not only respectable for a stock-casting Gen 2 but likely an indication that Greg did the heads.

The other upgrades (other than aero kits etc) were the Penske double adjustable shocks and Unitrax half shafts. Those are easy to see. The engine is where all the money is (or isn't) so I'm afraid you'll have to dyno the thing to tell what you have or don't have with that car. If your car has the aero package be prepared for the haters, the wing and fascia polarize audiences. I like it but recognize up front that even a lot of Viper people will spit on your car ;-)

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
another tuners build......

QUOTE=ineedaviper;3154754]There's a 1998 Hennessy 650

Any thoughts or suggestions?[/QUOTE]