Here is the New Coupe----any GTS Owners Considering Trading In?

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have the one and only viper i will ever own. i plan on keeping it forever. seeing how i am 38 years old and plan on living to be at least 80 years old that is going to be a long time. the look of the gen-II viper coupe is one of the best looking cars ever made in the world. the look is a classic and timeless. the next car i will be adding to my collection will be either a used ford GT or the new shelby GR-1 if they build it. i think that the gen II viper coupe looks better than the gen-III viper coupe. but on the other hand i think the gen-III viper roadster looks better than the gen-II viper roadsters, so go figure. i also think that the C-5 vettes look better than the new C-6 vettes. the new viper style and the new vette style are looking way to similar visually. i do think the new Z06 vette looks a little better than the new viper coupe though. the new viper coupe looks way to riced up to me. something about it screams asian car to me and that just makes me wanna hurl. i think that new redesigned mustang that has that retro 60's look even looks better than the new viper coupe to me. at least the new mustang looks like it was made in america as it should. all this german and asian styling influence on american cars is total treason. they even managed to totally butcher the dodge charger. what was once a great legendary muscle car from the 60's has now been reduced to the ugliest peice of crap to ever roll out of detroit.

get a clue dodge. ford has figured it out. they have redesigned there mustang to look like it did back in the 60's. bottom line if you can't design a car to look better than what they looked like in the 60's then don't bother. anything less is a step backwards. the viper is the only car that dodge has made since the 60's that looks better than anything they have designed since and now they have gone and changed it for the worse. total heresy. the worse thing dodge ever did was merge with daimler. german styling on american cars does not work and is a total abomination of our american heritage.

:usa:

mit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fast Freddy I agree with you. I do not like convertible sports cars. I prefer the SRT to the RT but vastly prefer the GTS to the SRT coupe we have seen.
This is probably the last Viper I will own. I really want something with the motor in the rear to park next to it.

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even thought it would never happen, sometimes I wish everyone here would contact DC and ask them just use the GTS body style exactly for the next Viper coupe. Change the wheels,suspension, engine, interior all you want...but don't screw around with timeless styling. Also, the GTS has a lower Cd (.35) than this Coupe (.39).

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not trading my GTS for that coupe!

Tell me though, is DC going to do with the SRT Coupe, what Pontiac did with the GTO? First year 500 hp, 2nd year 550?

I didn't expect the styling to change much, even with all the VCA input. But I am amazed how the power hasn't been increased? How wrong!!

Fiorano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no intention of trading my GTS for one. If I do add another car, it will be the new Z06.

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fast Freddy I agree with you. I do not like convertible sports cars. I prefer the SRT to the RT but vastly prefer the GTS to the SRT coupe we have seen.
This is probably the last Viper I will own. I really want something with the motor in the rear to park next to it.

if you look closely at the design of both the old viper and the new viper you will see that it seems that the even thought the gen-1 viper was produced as a ******* roadster initially that the car was designed to be a coupe. the rt looks to me like a coupe with the roof cut off.

on the other hand the srt appears to have just the opposite design in mind. the srt appears that it was built from the gound up to be a ******* roadster or a convertible. the coupe version of the srt looks like a roadster with a top stuck on it.

ChrisGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No coupe for me. I could have grown to like the looks of it, but with no performance enhancements to beat the new Z06, what's the point of getting the Viper?
I will probably end up getting one of the new Z06's.

Fiorano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From the talk going on here and with the new Z06 coming soon, I expect by mid 2006 that the SRT10 coupe will have no less than 200 days inventory just like the SRT-10 convertible.

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sticking with my gen 2 Coupe. Heck if I crash up the front end I should be able drop all the new Viper panels on it and have a gen 3!!!

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just looking at the rear end:

gas cap - WRONG

reflectors built in the rear arch - SO WRONG, what are they thinking ? thats just plain nasty and serves no purpose, that alone would put my off buying a coupe

90 degree square looking rear bumper edge - WRONG

Ugly, cheap 1980's looking wheels, thats WRONG to :D

Warren S

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No thanks. If it had the Comp Coupe/GTSR concept styling, weigh-in at 3,200 lbs and 550-600 hp, then yes.
But for this, no.

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do the SRT guys think of this coupe..they obviously like the new styling, could you guys chime in on this for us?? Thanks...AL...

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm not a coupe guy personally. But, I do like the car. I like it even better that Chevy has upped the ante and put the new Z06 in the same price/performance range as the coupe. Chevy is making a real leap by trying to extend the brand into this new pricing category.

A bump in performance for the Viper would probably put the car in the $100k plus column and narrow the market even more.

I do hope that they reduce the production numbers a bit. We learned 03/04 that they were too high for the vert.

BLUESNAKE367

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We will not know until possibly Thursday or Friday of this week what DC is actually going to give us in the new coupe. word is DC will unvail at LA show. everyone get ready for a stampede to the dealership, remember what they showed us at VOI8 was a prototype not the actual finished coupe. I have a GTS and no way would I sell for anything, but what I did today was talk with Bill P. at
Woodhouse Dodge and put down my deposit and order for the 2006 blue/white stripe coupe to make sure I get one later on this year......I am a Viper die hard, I lovem all since 1991, if DC builds a Viper I will buy it, They will not let us down, and no way will the vette rule anything except the trade in area of your local Dodge Viper Dealership.....

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With DC's official announcement, it looks like they have dropped the ball with the SRT-10 Coupe NOT getting any power increase. :eek:
I think that the styling is fine, but not adding power is the worst mistake imaginable.

The C6 Z06 uses carbon fiber body panels, and GM developed an aluminum frame for the Z06. Plus they did all of the regular hotrodding bits from forged pistons to CNC ported heads, straight from the factory.

If DC had simply CNC ported the heads they would have raised the power to 550HP+ which would have been adequate (625HP would have been newsworthy) :laugh:

But no. :(

TomSlick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Doesn't look like I'll be trading anytime soon. Happy with what I've got. Until I see something better, then I'll keep what I've got in my garage now. :usa:

HOGDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Huuummmm. Very disappointing.
I do not plan on getting rid of either of my GTS's. I have a 6 car garage but don't plan on the new coupe. DC dropped the ball. At VOI.8 they told us they would not let the Viper fall from the top of the heap. I think the Ford GT and the Z06, may be at the top of the heap. I am getting a GT (as soon as my dealer neighbor can get me one) and my other neighbor is the Chevy Dealer. I may have to start talking to him again ;)