Here's how to find out the age of tires

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here\'s how to find out the age of tires

I never knew exactly how to determine the age of tires until today. I was enlightened by someone who works for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:

1. Find the U.S. Department of Transportation tire ID number on the inner side wall. It begins with the letters "DOT".

2. The two numbers or letters right after DOT identify the plant where the tires were made.

3. The final four numbers show the week and year the tire was built. For example, "3197" means the 31st week of 1997.

I'm sure many of you knew this already, but it's useful for those of us who are catching up. :p

If you're considering buying a set of Pilot Sports (or whatever) off eBay or from a friend, ask them to give you the ID number on the tires. It doesn't do any good to get a great price on a set of tires if they are too old to be safe!

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Here\'s how to find out the age of tires

5 to 6 years should be the maximum!
Especially on a Viper.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I never knew exactly how to determine the age of tires until today. I was enlightened by someone who works for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:

1. Find the U.S. Department of Transportation tire ID number on the inner side wall. It begins with the letters "DOT".

2. The two numbers or letters right after DOT identify the plant where the tires were made.

3. The final four numbers show the week and year the tire was built. For example, "3197" means the 31st week of 1997.

I'm sure many of you knew this already, but it's useful for those of us who are catching up. :p

If you're considering buying a set of Pilot Sports (or whatever) off eBay or from a friend, ask them to give you the ID number on the tires. It doesn't do any good to get a great price on a set of tires if they are too old to be safe!

Sorry I had to chucle a little :D , this is "Tires 101", also look on the sidewall for an oval patch also on the sidewall with the letter "C" stamped on it. these are Viper specific tires.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Most, if not all, of the overstock 335/30/18s from a couple years ago were made in 2001. I discovered this by checking the date code on the first set I bought. They got down as low as $138 per tire. I called Michelin back then to see how long the factory warranty was in effect......6 years from Date of Manufacture.

I stocked up over a year's time or so on prices ranging from $138 to $168.......5 sets. Sold one set so that I would be in line with the 6 year warranty. I'm now getting ready to put my 4th set of rears on the car. I'll have one set left from the huge fire sale on these tires. I did pay full dollar for the first set back in 2001. All my tires had the "C" stamp on them.

Steve

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score

The date code changed in 2000 from a single digit year to a two-digit year to make it easier to discern a '97 from an '87.

"01" won't be repeated until 2101, pretty hard to mistake the origins of a 100 year old tire.

95RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have a rear set with the stickers still on them with a date code of "113" I would assume this was 11th week of 93'. Does anyone think these will be worth for just running around town or manybe for restoring back to factory 10 year from now. On that note I have my factory tires with 15,000 miles on them. Should these be replaced?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have a rear set with the stickers still on them with a date code of "113" I would assume this was 11th week of 93'. Does anyone think these will be worth for just running around town or manybe for restoring back to factory 10 year from now. On that note I have my factory tires with 15,000 miles on them. Should these be replaced?

Only value of either is for a parked show car. I would not drive to the corner with either set.

95RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for the info. Looks like a new set of shoes is in order.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte