Hey "wah it's not 700 hp" folks- learn a lesson from the digital camera world

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the early days of digital camera sales, the resolution capabilities of the first consumer models was far below that of 35mm film, and well below what you needed to even make a good 4x6 print. Slowly but surely, the imaging sensors improved, and 1 megapixel cameras gave way to two megapixels. Three megapixel cameras upped the ante further. During these primitive times, you could be reasonably certain that the 3MP camera would produce results superior to the 2MP camera; sure, other factors played a part, but the megapixel count told you all you really needed to know.

But as time went on, megapixel counts climbed. Five! Eight! Ten! Twelve! Twenty!

Yet something had changed. Your cousin's new off-brand 20MP camera that he bought off of QVC was producing images far worser than a well developed, refined 12 megapixel Canon camera. What gives? 20 is more than 12 right?

Most camera buyers have finally caught on to the fact that once you get above a certain threshold, the megapixel count, while still important, is not the end-all-be-all of the results you will achieve, and that extra megapixels are useless if the rest of the camera can't make good use of them. And while resolution still continues to tick upwards, the established manufactuers since abandoned the "megapixel race" to focus more on reifnement and the overall package.

So yes, the new Viper makes 10hp less than a variant of the Mustang. Big f***ing deal. Stop being fixated on a single number and focus on what matters: the overall package and what it will do on a track. A package which mechanically speaking is improved in just about every way in the 2013. Dismissing all of these improvements and the car as a "total failure" just makes you sound like a rube.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't believe how much complaining the Gen V has produced before the damn thing is even released. For months people have been ******** and moaning. Is this really what the Viper community is about?
Well said.

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know, I had this same discussion just this evening with my wife while we were reclining in the sack. I explained to her repeatedly and with concise logic that it's not the size that matters, it's how you use it. She wouldn't buy it either.

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SkyBob:3059441 said:
You know, I had this same discussion just this evening with my wife while we were reclining in the sack. I explained to her repeatedly and with concise logic that it's not the size that matters, it's how you use it. She wouldn't buy it either.

Hahahahahaha

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

hilarious analogy and very true when it comes to HP

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hehehe...good one skybob.

All I know for certain is this.

The gen4 was rated at 600 hp but routinely dynoed 545 rwhp.

The zr1 was rated at 638 hp but routinely dynoed 550 rwhp.

The gen4 and zr1 both did 0-150 mph in 16.4 seconds.

By this proven logic....

A 640 hp 3300 pound viper with 3.55 gears should absolutely destroy everything in its path and given the aventador a hell of a run

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good call. We've come to love the Viper for the big motor and high HP numbers, but it's so much more than that. It's not a ponycar, it's not a musclecar, it's an American sportcars (argueably an exotic), that challenges the world's best on every level... at a fraction of the cost.

Hmm, maybe I missed this, but I didn't see the Mustang at the top of that Nurburgring list either.

So yes, the new Viper makes 10hp less than a variant of the Mustang. Big f***ing deal. Stop being fixated on a single number and focus on what matters: the overall package and what it will do on a track. A package which mechanically speaking is improved in just about every way in the 2013. Dismissing all of these improvements and the car as a "total failure" just makes you sound like a rube.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice analogy Majicboy.

Ive got a nice NikonDLSR camera and when people ask me how many megapixles it is I say. Not sure the max but I usualy shoot between 3and6mp. Then they reply well my iphone/androidphone/crappypointandshoot camera has more MP tthen that. I shake my head and say. Lets do a quick comparison. You take a pic on your phone at 5mp and ill take on one my camera at 2mp. Which do you think will look better?

And that is the kickoff for me taking them to school...;-)

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm an audiophile and I would make the same comparison with WATTS. People just want more WATTS. More WATTS does not always equal better or louder sound. I can get more, louder, clearer sound out of one of my older 80 WATT Denon receivers than people can get out of a 500 WATT newfangled POS big-box store receiver. It drives me crazy when people always ask "How many WATTS?" I say, let me turn it up and make your ears bleed without any distortion... Same analogy. Nicely put MagicBoy.

OP
OP
M

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thank you for highlighting the exact insecurity that most people who are fixated on Horsepower comparisons seem to have. :rolaugh:

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cant believe there are complainers making complaining threads complaining about the complainers complaining about the new Viper:crazy2:

For the complainers complaining about the complainers just remember things dont get done if you dont complain. The complainers are one of the reasons the new Viper looks like the Icon its based on. Without us complainers you would still be getting K-cars:smirk:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah this is nothing SB.
You should have seen it when the Gen 3 was introduced...:)
Or did you?
It was a war zone.

AZMotorgod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love the new car.

I say let it car speak for itself. I can't wait for it to hit the road and see what it can do.

I bet everyone (maybe even the media) will be impressed overall.

By the way, did anyone else get the impression that Ralph was inferring that maybe the Viper may get a boosted (supercharger maybe) option when he referenced the fact that the internals were forged, and he said "I'll leave it at that" during the VCOA event.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love the new car.

I say let it car speak for itself. I can't wait for it to hit the road and see what it can do.

I bet everyone (maybe even the media) will be impressed overall.

By the way, did anyone else get the impression that Ralph was inferring that maybe the Viper may get a boosted (supercharger maybe) option when he referenced the fact that the internals were forged, and he said "I'll leave it at that" during the VCOA event.

Yup and I even asked Ralph about that and he gave a strong hint that's what's in the works!!! :headbang:

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new car is out in front of it's competition and in reality it is a base platform for things to come. We know nothing about the evolution of the GEN V, but I am sure SRT does.

Bruce

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21