HID headlight/LED parking install

Vman455

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just finished installing HID lights in both low beams and foglights on my '02 GTS. I searched the VCA forums before I started, and encountered many threads that advised changing the polarity of the wires leading to the bulbs if they won't light. Well, when I installed the kit for the lowbeams and turned it on, they did not light, so I reversed the polarity to the bulbs--still no go. Switched ballasts, checked and rechecked connections, no light. Turns out, I could have saved myself the trouble by reversing the polarity to the ballast, not bulbs: when I did this, both bulbs fired up and work perfectly. Just a note to anyone installing HID lamps: if they don't light, you may want to try flipping the harness that goes into the ballast before you rewire the bulbs themselves. The fog lights were no problem, just the lowbeams had to be reversed.

I put in 8000k, and was surprised at how white they look, with just a hint of blue. I also installed LED parking lights that shine white (6500K) and flash amber. You can get them here:

TYPE 1 DUAL COLOR CHANGING HID WHITE/AMBER 60 M-SMT TURN SIGNAL BULBS 3157 3157NA 3057 3155 3357 3457 4157 | V-LEDS.COM

If you install the LEDs, you will need an electronic flasher ($15 at the local autoparts store).

Cheers,
Jon

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I installed HID in my low beams. They made my high beams a joke. Since I use my fog lamps as Daytime Running lights tehy stayed incandescent. High beams were a waste of time. So, I used HIDs for high beams as well.

It takes about 30 sec for the highbeams to warm up when turned on and sometimes that's annoying, but I'm happy with their performance.

Ted

OP
OP
V

Vman455

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You did the high beams too? Were you able to find 9011 HID bulbs, or did you use 9005?

And here are the pics. Sorry, I was in a hurry so they're not too good, but at least you get the idea. I've included one of the old halogens for comparison.

Attachments

• Viper 089.JPG
    Viper 089.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 215
  • Viper 090.JPG
    Viper 090.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 169
  • Viper 093.JPG
    Viper 093.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no such thing as a 9011 HID bulb.

Vman, I sent you a pm but Ill ask here. What is this electronic flasher and where do you put it? I like the look of those bulbs, I have seen them in person on a maxima and they had a great glow.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
2001 was a 9006, I think, but just use the low beam as they fit fine. The 9011 is an interesting looking bulb, but I didn't notice any extra candlepower from the incadescent.

I mounted both of the transformers to the rear healdight coverplate. One trasnformer in and 1 out.

You must be registered for see images

Jonb sells the Gen3 HIDs as they fit into our Gen 2s and Jonb feels that the factory pieces are MUCH safer units than all the ebay units.

Ted

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a guy who sells very reliable HID's, I have been dealing with him for years. The ballasts I use will both fit inside the OEM headlights, they are the size of a credit card and roughly 1/4 inch think. The run 160 shipped overnight. All color spectrum's available and they come with a 1 year warranty. If I ever do my high beams I will be adding them but I am going to get the gold color for my fog lights. will look good.

I believe the 2001's were 9005s for both. 9011 oem high beam, 9005 HID high beam. 9005 HID low beam. H3 HID fog.

vipervegas

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe you guys can help me, I just ordered H3 and 9006 for the low beams because that is what the owners manual says. The H3 fit fine as fog, but the 9006 don't fit, it looks like they are 9005. Is the owners manual wrong? What bulb size did you put in? I have a '02 GTS.

vipervegas

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, Pollup for the info. I'm going to send the 9006 back for the correct 9005.

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
vman, those corner lights look cool
if you could wire them up to come on with the ign. they would make great DRLs

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got both balast boxes in the back of the headlight.. I changed them for the slim line ones..
I will get pics...

RickViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Maybe you guys can help me, I just ordered H3 and 9006 for the low beams because that is what the owners manual says. The H3 fit fine as fog, but the 9006 don't fit, it looks like they are 9005. Is the owners manual wrong? What bulb size did you put in? I have a '02 GTS.

I order the 9005 and 9006 for low and high beam because thats what the guy on ebay say it will fit... and its been a problem, only the low will fit, but it fits in the high and low beam... i just found out that there is a 9005 low and a 9005 high!!!! so only one did work the low ones.. now my high beam still original and dont like the way it looks... i have 94 RT

OP
OP
V

Vman455

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The owner's manual is wrong on this one. The headlamps actually have 9005 lowbeams and 9011 highs (but 9005 fit). All the online fitment guides I've looked at (including Sylvania's) say the same as the manual. I haven't replaced my highs, but I may do that with 9005 HID in the spring, and mount the ballast on the outside of the headlight housing like RTTTTTed.

RickViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Finally someone finds the right answer THANKS!! now im going to send the correct info to the guys on ebay hope they have the 9011s or the 9005 highs for me... ANOTHER QUESTION?, i saw the LED for the fog lights, does anyone nows how they work?? are they any good??, also it says that they work for high beam too, there are ones with 4 leds and ones with 6 leds.. which one is better and wich one will work for my 94 RT.?? ANYONE?

OP
OP
V

Vman455

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, don't have any experience with the LED fogs/highs. I replaced my fogs with HID H3 bulbs, ballast mounted inside the fascia with double-sided 3M tape. Installation was simple.

I have read that LEDs are not as bright as equivalent incandescents, so I would check the light output before installing them as foglights or highbeams...Did you find these on Ebay as well? Link?

RickViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Item number: 140282099369 this is the 6 leds and the 4 leds is Item number: 140285312413. theyre both on ebay.

OP
OP
V

Vman455

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like the 6 LED would fit your high beams, the 4 LED your fogs.

Personally, I would be wary of using these just because of the low light output of LEDs. Note the disclaimer in the auctions (in Engrish) "Note: Since LED has low lum, due to safety reason, absolutely prohibit on low beam." They claim the bulbs are 10x brighter than standard LEDs, which got me thinking. I checked a couple of sites, and found some DRL replacement bulbs similar to these, and they're all between 25-40 lumens output. As a comparison, the 3157 LED bulbs I installed in my parking light fixtures put out 120 lumens each (with 60 diodes on each bulb), and HID bulbs put out between 2500-3500 lumens, depending on color temperature. Even if these are 10x brighter than standard LEDs, as they claim, that's still only 250-400 lumens...

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Reading the auction and
"Note: Since LED has low lum, due to safety reason, absolutely prohibit on low beam."

My guess is that "low lum" means low illiumination and as such "not allowed" for Low beam (below minimium requirement?). Daytime Running Lights are 50% of light and not for driving at night. The auction also says that your High Beams "can be converted to CITY LIGHTS". Read "useless for driving" is my guess.

I wouldn't buy them.

W 9005 LED Fog Daytime Running Lights DRL IS250 IS350 - (eBay.ca item 140282099369 end time 14-Dec-08 22:00:00 EST)

Ted

RickViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got an answer from this guys in case it may help for the high beam, the price wich they are giving its not bad, but still dont know if i can trust this guys...

Dear Customer, Thanks for your interest. The HyperFlux H3 LED bulbs in this auction will work for 94 Viper Fog lights. We have sold a set for 95 Viper before, which works great. If you also need to get one set Xenon White 9005 HyperFlux LED bulbs, the original price is 90.98 dollars, but we will give you for just 84.99 dollars shipped. To check them out together, would you please send us your paypal email address, we wil setup the special checkout for you.

Once we receive the order, we will send you within the same or next business day.

You should receive the order in about 3 to 4 business days for US domestic customers and 4 to 7 business days for International customers.
Thanks a lot for your business!

emo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After seeing Vman455's setup I went and install the same but I added white LED side markers,replaced all 6 taillights with LED's and 2 rear blinkers.
Thanks for the tips Vman!!!:2tu:

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to rehash an old thread but where is the electronic flasher located? Put the dual led blinkers in there and I obviously have the rapid flash.