high flo cats alone or add the Corsa cat back exhaust

Jersey Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Objective: add a richer louder sound with some popping when down shifting BUT do NOT want obnoxiously loud. Neighbors still seem to like me and I hope to keep it that way.
Plan: add ROE Racing high flow cats and insulation blanket to the 09 vert. Told it adds nice sound, gives a purrr and pop when wanted, but not a drone.
Considering: cat back system (Corsa) which I am told will give me 3" pipes / better airflow and some additional sound, but not real LOUD.
Question: is that correct, will the Corsa sweetin the sound without it getting radical loud.I still want to persuade my wife or daughter to go for a ride or be able to hear a cop:usa: siren :)

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: high flo cats alone or add the Corsa back exhaust

Jeff - I was going to go with the exact same setup: Roe HF cats with a Corsa. I was basically after the same criteria for my car. Per the direction of "The Wizard", I only went with the Roe HF cats and kept the stock mufflers. PURRFECT. Really wakes the car up, no drone, more bark, sweeter decel popping, but in no way obnoxious.

The Gen IV mufflers are fairly free flowing. Therefore, you're not going to get that much more out of the Corsa other than some nice tips and a hit to the bank account.

BTW, you may not need the insulation. I don't have it and my sills are just warm to the touch.

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Objective: add a richer louder sound with some popping when down shifting BUT do NOT want obnoxiously loud. Neighbors still seem to like me and I hope to keep it that way.
Plan: add ROE Racing high flow cats and insulation blanket to the 09 vert. Told it adds nice sound, gives a purrr and pop when wanted, but not a drone.
Considering: cat back system (Corsa) which I am told will give me 3" pipes / better airflow and some additional sound, but not real LOUD.
Question: is that correct, will the Corsa sweetin the sound without it getting radical loud.I still want to persuade my wife or daughter to go for a ride or be able to hear a cop:usa: siren :)

Jeff, I've been toying with this idea for months. Want a better/louder sound but not intrusive. Brian recommended his set-up and another member recommended corsa+cats(which he was gracious enough to give me a ride in his car). This set-up sounded awesome. But after my issues with the ETB CEL I don't want any issue and I believe you will get some with hi-flo cats.(I am not getting the MOPAR controller). That being said, I think I have no choice but to go with the corsa w/ stock cats. Purely for the sound realizing might get no bump in hp.

Last edited:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forget the insulation. It causes more issues than it helps and HF's will make a huge difference in the sills temp.

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jeff - I was going to go with the exact same setup: Roe HF cats with a Corsa. I was basically after the same criteria for my car. Per the direction of "The Wizard", I only went with the Roe HF cats and kept the stock mufflers. PURRFECT. Really wakes the car up, no drone, more bark, sweeter decel popping, but in no way obnoxious.

The Gen IV mufflers are fairly free flowing. Therefore, you're not going to get that much more out of the Corsa other than some nice tips and a hit to the bank account.

BTW, you may not need the insulation. I don't have it and my sills are just warm to the touch.

Jeff, I have the same set-up as Brian, Roe HF cats with stock mufflers and my comments are also the same as him. No cell light with the stock PCM either.
I am now debating if I should get more power with the Belanger headers, HF cats but again keeping the stock mufflers as I dont want any drone in my car, and not too loud either.

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jeff, I have the same set-up as Brian, Roe HF cats with stock mufflers and my comments are also the same as him. No cell light with the stock PCM either.
I am now debating if I should get more power with the Belanger headers, HF cats but again keeping the stock mufflers as I dont want any drone in my car, and not too loud either.

Your car did not throw CEL with the hi flo cats. Any other mods?

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Your car did not throw CEL with the hi flo cats. Any other mods?

No CEL with HF cats and K&N flat panel filter, stock PCM.
But taking out the 'stupid' rain deflector did throw a CEL when going WOT with either the Stock or Mopar PCM.
I cant understand that one yet ?

mjf6175

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chris (09 Venom).....remember that only a FEW get the CEL light with BOTH the Roe's+Corsa (like me, just my luck). As mentioned above, the Roe's+stock muffler does not throw the CEL. If I were to pick between Roe's+stock mufflers OR stock cats+corsa's I would pick the first choice just like Brian and SilveRT8.

Jeff...pm me if you like, come up to Edison when this LONG winter finally ends and you can hear my 08 which is Roe's+Corsa.

DPViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't use the insulation. I did on my 03 with a Corsa and it "trapped" the heat. It also held water in the side sill. I'd go high flows with the stock exhaust.

JKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score

On my GTS I did Corsa with stock cats, then eventually changed over to Roe High Flow cats and it was much..much...louder.

I have read on the forums that the Corsa on Gen IIIs is pretty loud with the stock cats and too loud for some owners who installed it

Also, it may make sense to do it in stages or find some-one in the area that has that exact setup before you pull the trigger. Good luck!

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did exactly that. Hi flo cats with Corsa cat back (from PartsRack) and very happy with NO CEL either. The sound is much better with both not to mention the much better looks of the tips over oem. Less heat and less weight too.

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine did flag the CEL initially with the ROE HFs which were installed last spring. After some spirited driving, the CEL went away for the entire summer. During winter hibernation, I started her up and the CEL was back. At least I know how to make it go away. :D

alpha85

Enthusiast
Reaction score

just did the belanger complete system sounds great, no pop on decel though. what is the drone i keep hearing about?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

HF Cats and Corsa are way cooler than stock. Insulation Blankets are contra-indicated: Costs money, Traps heat, Traps moisture, promotes corrosion. Hi Flow Is COOL.

We want to craft the sound options for YOU, not me. Purr-pop = "burble" -- as opposed to abackfire-pop. There are substrate choices with 5-year warrantee Random Tech cats: Ceramic = louder than OE for sure, mellow-muscle tone. SHF Honeycomb Metal = noticably louder still. We dont use (restrictive and costly) flex pipes, neither does Belanger. Not Needed.

Corsa = no drone, no resonance, NICE burble. Quiet cruise for stereo / phone/ conversation.

I invite your call, thanks.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having gone through several variations over the years, I find this discussion to be quite frustrating. Overall, I'd abide by the opinions of Tator and JonB (there are others that will give you excellent guidance but I have less or no experience with them). Sound levels and tones are very subjective. Some find an exhaust system less cats and resonators (straight pipes) to be "ballsy" and completely right for the car. I couldn't drive with such a set up for 30 seconds. Different interests, use and perspective will cause wildly diverging opinions. And yet YOU have to lay down the cash based on opinions of others. Sort of like ordering a pair of audiophile speakers on line rather than after a serious demo in a retailer's sound room.

Anyway, best off finding a member that's got what you think you'd like and take a drive in the car. In lieu of that, make sure you know what you really want (sometimes loud is great fun...for the first weekend and then it's just a headache maker). and make sure to convey what you want accurately when you ask for an opinion.

Seriously, there are so very few who's spent 2G's on an exhaust system and then will tell you the truth about how they made a mistake. Be careful out there. ;)

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VCA events are your friends. Show up at the next local event, and listen to lots of different exhausts. Probably get offers to go for short ride to hear them, and make some new friends. (Might be a while before the East Coast roads are snow free)

pcc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have complete Belanger setup sounds great

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I understand is they simply use less hangers. The dont use the hanger that is used to hold up the stock cats.

JonB, If you don't mind me asking..why not? If they come like that from the factory. Doesn't the exhaust 'flex' somewhat in that area?

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to have the rear stock cat cut off leaving just the front on and run a 3in pipe to
a Borla muffler or just leave the stock one on which ever sounds best on my 09.

Herc

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously, there are so very few who's spent 2G's on an exhaust system and then will tell you the truth about how they made a mistake. Be careful out there. ;)

I'd have no problem telling you about my $4K+ mistakes with exhausting problems. :(

Half the problem was finding the right mechanics to deal with it in a competent manner. "Viper Certified" certainly doesn't mean much.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd have no problem telling you about my $4K+ mistakes with exhausting problems. :(

Half the problem was finding the right mechanics to deal with it in a competent manner. "Viper Certified" certainly doesn't mean much.

Wouldn't have minded being wrong on that one. Sorry to hear 'bout that.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
JonB, If you don't mind me asking..why not? If they come like that from the factory. Doesn't the exhaust 'flex' somewhat in that area?

the random tech cat is well-hung without needing the bracket in the right angle elbow area. There is plenty of room in the forward sill to accommodate normal flexing. We learned this technique from Lou Belanger. [Or I could brag that it saves 8 ounces of weight!]

SlateEd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's sounding like for Gen 4 the hi-flow cats are a great option because the exhaust already comes without X-over pipes...? How about Gen 3? My first priority is to lower the interior temps (not as concerned with the side-sill while getting in/out) but I don't want to raise the volume level much over stock.
Between
1. hi-flow cats with stock gen 3 exhaust
and
2. stock cats with a corsa exhaust
which setup would score better heat reduction inside the car? (and would one of them create a huge sound level jump?)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It's sounding like for Gen 4 the hi-flow cats are a great option because the exhaust already comes without X-over pipes...? How about Gen 3? My first priority is to lower the interior temps (not as concerned with the side-sill while getting in/out) but I don't want to raise the volume level much over stock.
Between
1. hi-flow cats with stock gen 3 exhaust
and
2. stock cats with a corsa exhaust
which setup would score better heat reduction inside the car? (and would one of them create a huge sound level jump?)

3. On your G-3, another great option is G-4 takeoff exhaust, with high flow catS well under $1000 and will achieve your goals PERFECTLY.

PLEASE CALL to discuss the 3 options?

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to have the rear stock cat cut off leaving just the front on and run a 3in pipe to
a Borla muffler or just leave the stock one on which ever sounds best on my 09.

Herc

Ended up with keeping the stock cats and getting rid of the mufflers, straight pipe from
the rear cat to the turn out. Best sound I have heard yet, quiet at constant throttle
cruise and low rumble at idle. No drone and I have had drone, Corsa.

Herc

Oh yea, about as cheap as you can get.

eliems

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So has anyone done highflow cat/muffler delete? How as that? Should give a power increase, cool things down and sound ..?

Also, did just deleting the muffler and keeping the stock cats throw any codes?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang