High idle speed problem

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to clarify Craig's post, his 96 R/T was a Gen I engine. Although not the same, the problem may be the same. Old Rascal's car is a Gen II. Sorry dude, don't have a solid answer, but I would concur with Craig. A quick way to check is to get some carb. cleaner and spray around the manifold. If the idle changes you have identified the problem. Atleast this worked on my old Buick(same principal).

Mike

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While your Viper was at the dealers, did they disconnect the battery? If so the ECU will take a few runs to relearn the ideal idle.

A constant high idle almost certainly means you have an air leak in, on the inlet manifold. I believe '97's were prone to it! Usually its the intake manifold gasket itself, or sometimes the gasket between throttle boddy and inlet manifold.

I doubt it's the idle air control motor, but if it is this playing up, it will set a trouble code for the idle air.

Phone me if you want to chat if I can be of any further help. (Eves are best to catch me on the blower!)
patriotx.gif

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Old Rascal
I have a 96 GTS built latter part of the year - Had same symptoms- erratic unusually high idal that got progressively worse over two days. A conversation with my Viper Tech - replace the intake manifold gasket - work was done a few days later - bingo - diagnosis was correct - 20,000+ miles later and not even a hint of this problem resurfacing. Work was done under warranty.

If my failing memory serves, this problem applies to late 96's and early 97's.
Luck
Gavin

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Will not be related to the door switch.......

Virtually ALL the 1997 production run was affected (all cars thru 11/18/97) and even some late 1996s. There was a TSB regarding a large batch of improper IM gaskets, failed due to lack of waterproofing.

If this occurs, however, the idle usually does NOT correct itself!

Test: What happens if you turn the A/C on during high-idle? Wait exactly 3 seconds after A/C on, and see if it self-corrects. IF SO, you may not have an IM gasket problem, but a failed Idle Speed Motor ....also called Idle Air Control. It also has a gasket which could be the culprit if not the ISM

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc