"Highway of Death"

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Last week MY highway (20) was on the news designated "Highway of Death". We've had a huge increase in traffic deaths the last year. For some reason the drunks have decided to gather and travel together. We've also had a couple people die at the wheel, then crash ("possibly alcohol involved").

I would like to state that this is a narrow 2 lane highway through the mountains, lakes, along rivers and other various obstacles like cliffs and deep ditches. Perfect Viper highway! Also works well for all performance and supercars. The scenery is awe-inspiring and the highway has few straight sections. The famous Bella Coola hill is along this highway as well. It's the steepest grade allowed in North America and falls from about 3600' to sea level in about 10 miles. Lots of switchbacks and lonnng drops if you slide off the road. Sections of this hill are 1.5 lanes wide, although there is pull offs so there isn't much danger. If you use your brakes to slow you down this hill, you may need new ones at the bottom. It was decided that this hill should stay gravel for winter safety reasons. An Alberta couple drove off the edge of the road and died last weekend.

The highway is paved all the way to Anahim Lake (200mi from William's Lake) and from the bottom of the hill to Bella Coola (50mi.) I live near Anahim Lake and never take my Viper down the hill, but the rest is awesome driving. There are 3 corners I haven't made at more than 50mph in my Viper. There wasn't much for police presence out here as they always had enough crime to deal with. Up until recently nearly all accidents were single car and occaissionaly there was a death.

Less than a month ago a car load of kids (15-20) got drunk and then decided to go to Redstone Reserve after school. Crashed and burned on the highway. Last summer there was an accident involving 2 drunken drivers. One drov through the stop sign, across the highway and into the deep ditch on the other side. His friend followed and rammed the back of the Minivan into the other car smashed into the ditch. Some died, and lots were hurt. That's why it'd being called "Highway of Death"

This is the Ultimate highway I've driven in North America, perfect for a Viper. Seldom ever see cops and very low traffic for this stretch of highway. If you speed you'll probably be the only one that knows about it. Now, because of a few stupid drunks we're going to get a name for this highway??? Tough on advertising,"Come drive the famous Highway of Death." Anyone interested?

Sheep Creek Hill

You must be registered for see images

Bull Canyon

Top of Barr Hill (5600' altitude)

On guy informed me that he had made the 200mi. trip in 1hr. 45min. I don't think I believe him since he was driving a pickup. I've never gone that fast as there are a few Deer etc. o the highway sometimes. I haven't heard of anyone crashing because they were going too fast.

I love my highway! I call it my highway since I repaired and built over 100mi. of it and put down the first layer of pavement only 9 years ago.

Ted

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, Ted--I DID just read about this in our local paper, believe it or not!! I'm sorry that the highway is named that, but it will just draw MORE dare-devils I'd think, sorry to say.
WHAT is the car above your gorgeous GTS? Looks like a Mitsubishi 3000GT? You have beautiful scenery, I've always loved your pictures...keep up the good work...enjoy 'your' road, you've earned it~~~juli

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's one of Ted's infamous Stealths! How many ponies are in that one, Ted?

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's one of Ted's infamous Stealths! How many ponies are in that one, Ted?

AAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH......of COURSE it's his Stealth......how MANY times have I even told him how much I LOVE both of his Stealths...thank you, Jason! ~juli

OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yah, my winter "supercar". The green one has 500hp on tap with parts for 650 in the garage. I bought two because I turned 100,000mi. last week. I've put about 40,000mi. on this car in just about 2 years. It's highly modified with all the goodies including a trailer hitch for when I take the wife Xmas shopping.

You read about our highway in NY? Wow, I guess it's famous. Seriously though the Bella Coola hill is famous in North America and Hunlen Falls is 4th highest in the world. 800 lakes within 50mi. When shall we expect you?

Ted

OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score

She's wearing ice radials now and the pic was week before last. Snow on highway 40mi. from home and Black Ice the rest of the way. Stealth's still shiny and uncrashed!

8" new snow yesterday and my (to me) 1,000 Moutain Cat hasn't shown up yet, bummer.

Ted

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, Ted, we've read about your highway in our Albany paper...and I apologize for NOT recognizing your Stealth...I'm kicking myself about it~~~geesh! Oh, wouldn't we LOVE to cruise up to Canada...no time, we don't even get to our own NY/CT events sadly, but thank you! ~juli
**I don't see any of your pics when I click on the red x box...just imageshack's site? BUT, I DO recall your Stealth on the lake, was it? With the ice radials on it, didn't you post that pic? LOVE those cars!! **

OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yah, guess the snow clouds are too thick and screwing up my satellite connection. Should have posted, but it became an X instead. Post some tomorrow instead.

Ted

OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oh great it's uploading this time.

Another 4" snow this morning
Here's a pic when I had both Stealth's loaded up to run away from the Lonesome Lake Forest Fire back in 05? Had all my parts loaded into the cars and another 5 cars loaded with tools and other parts ready to head out of town. We were on Evacuation Alert for 2 weeks.

Ironic that my Motel burned down in 06 anyway. Still lost tons of tools, but the fire didn't get the to the back garage and I got my Green Stealth out of there in time.

Ted

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Ted...yeah, that's NOT the pic I remember...wowwww....GREAT pics there, you've got some wicked snow~~~good thing the STEALTH gets thru it all!! LOVE your pics, keep em coming...great picture for the Domestic Driver magazine!! ~juli

V

Venomiss

Great pictures as always. Really wild about your highway being labeled-the only one I've heard about is in South America.
Do you think more people will be giving it a test out or less people?

OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There'll probably be a few more Vipers testing out the Hwy, but less of the "pansy" type tourist.

We've had people come here all the way from Georgia to see 1 of North America's 4 "wetlands". A large percentage of our tourists rent a car in Van and drive here. Most European Tourists are German and Swiss. They come for the "Wilderness Adventure". Japanese, Chinese and Pakistanis don't seem to like it here - too far away from "people herds"?

You can find "artic wasteland" here by our two glaciers. 800lakes within 50mi. Painted mountains 30mi. to the west, Bella Coola Valley seems like Peru, the shape of many of the trees in the forests are reminiscent of Power/vortex areas in Sedona. I don't understand why this entire area isn't super crowded throughout the summer. There's still lots of places in the Mountains where only a few white men have ever stood, although snowmobiles have taken us white guys throughout most of the closer mountains. I guess most people just prefer crowded cities to quiet and less travelled places?

There's still large lakefront properties here for +/- $100,00. One of the few places you can still buy a decent house for under $200,000. Only thing is, you can't get rich here. Lots of people get rich, then come here.

I travelled the world a little, just to make sure this was the best place to live. I invite you to "come see".

Ted

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I love my highway! I call it my highway since I repaired and built over 100mi. of it and put down the first layer of pavement only 9 years ago.

Ted

Ted,

I know the feeling!
I-10_pave.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Haha, it's kinda cool that you can say, "My highway" and mean a little more than just 'my tax dollars at work'.

In my case it means that I REALLY know all the curves and hills on this one.

Ted

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kodiakleather