"Home made" MAGNAFLOW off road!! best exhaust 4 price

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
\"Home made\" MAGNAFLOW off road!! best exhaust 4 price

Guys, I couldn't be happier.

I just had a muffler shop install for me the 3"I.D., 6"O.D., 30"long MAGNAFLOW round muffler.

These mufflers are just about as long the stock ones plus the catalitic. HUGE!! and just a tad fatter, they completely fill the cavity.

I had all 4 cats removed, and installed this monster instead. of course, no more crossover pipes, I must have saved 10 feet total exhast.

Price: Mufflers $ 100 each
installation $ 400 (including custom mandrel bent tubing)
O2 sims (installed by yours truly) $140 for both.

Total price for a bad-ass off road 3" exhaust installed: $ 740

The best thing this muffler is so long, it is barely any louder than stock from idle through 2500-3000 rpm. and at WOT it sounds mean, nice but not too obnoxious.

I am a happy camper.... if anyone needs more details, contact me.

Dagger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Hmmm, I just purchased new exhaust from Atro Racing. He mentioned that the actual mufflers were made by Magnaflow. My mufflers are only about half as long as the stock, but I also removed the cross-over and went with real side-pipes. I also left the stock cats in place. You mentioned that your setup wasn't louder until WOT. Not in my case. From the very first turn of the key heads turn. I absolutely love it :eek: I alos went with full rolled chrome Corsa tips from the mufflers back. Very nice :2tu:

OP
OP
Z

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
Re:

well, it does have a nice roar when I start the car, and nice rumble at idle. Maybe I was just afraid that it was going to turn out like my old '95, where I removed the cats and installed mufflers about the same size you have on now...

I was 25 years back then, and I though there was no such thing as too loud... Oh no! this was INSANELY loud... to the point that my ears would hurt!! I needed to return and custom made tips that looked like a trumpet, to focus the sound out... but still too lound and obnoxious.

Now the 30" MAGNAFLOWs compensate for the lack of cats without the restriction that the cats impose. The car does feel faster, and in a car this fast that is impressive.

TedK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

How much clearance is left in the sills with those 6" muffs? I tried that on my 2002 and had to replace them with custom 5" muffs, not enough air space between **** and sill insulation and you will have problems.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

I tried those mufflers on our system and they sound crappy. Way to much rumble and not the F1 sound that my customers are looking for. Go to short mufflers. the 3" are to big and 30" long ones are way to long. Like I said I have your setup on the car right now and I lost a ton of power and the exhaust note hurts ones ears when you drive down the road. Seeing I am on a 5 day holiday in New Hampshire I will have to live with it till I get back in the shop. By the way, what did you do for tips?
Robbie

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

I tried those mufflers on our system and they sound crappy. Way to much rumble and not the F1 sound that my customers are looking for. Go to short mufflers. the 3" are to big and 30" long ones are way to long. Like I said I have your setup on the car right now and I lost a ton of power and the exhaust note hurts ones ears when you drive down the road. Seeing I am on a 5 day holiday in New Hampshire I will have to live with it till I get back in the shop. By the way, what did you do for tips?
Robbie

The whole exhaust thing is subjective, when it comes to sound. If he likes it then so be it.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

The whole exhaust thing is subjective, when it comes to sound. If he likes it then so be it. "You quote: "

You are quite correct in the above statement. We have our mufflers made by magnaflow to our specifications and they are polished stainless steel. The bigger you go with the inlet/outlet size along with the longer, you will end up with a exhaust note that rumbles and resonates quite a bit to the point that it hurts your ears when you stand on it. On a viper we have found that staying with a smaller diameter muffler that is wrapped with heat insulating wrap gives you the best performance and sound. By keeping the heat in the pipes and exhaust you make the exhaust scavenge better therefor producing a better sound and more power. We recommend that you only go with 3" if you are planning to add a turbo or blower. Just ask Dagger or yelloh if they do not agree. But like you said before "The whole exhaust thing is subjective, when it comes to sound. If he likes it then so be it."

Robbie

OP
OP
Z

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
Re:

I like the exhaust sound. I don' know about that "F1" sound from a slow-revving V-1....

I did not put chrome exhaust tips, I do no like them, I had the shop custom-make tips shaped kind of like a trumpet (flared out) so that the sound does not rumble in the cabin.

I had that problem back with my my 95 (I thought I'd lose hearing!!) and the shaping of the tips what an easy but incredible solution.

I do not know squat about music, or sound engineering but I guess that flaring on trumpets, sax, etc is for something after all.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Home made" MAGNAFLOW off road!! best exhaust 4 price
"

I needed to return and custom made tips that looked like a trumpet, to focus the sound out... but still too loud and obnoxious."

You made the statement above regarding Dagger's exhaust system that we built, " where I removed the cats and installed mufflers about the same size you have on now... ".

I am glad you like your exhaust system and I am sure we would all love to see a picture of your $740.00+ system. How much extra over the original price of $740.00 did those custom trumpet exhaust tips cost that you have custom made?

You did not install mufflers anywhere near the size diameter, length, or type we use in our exhaust systems. as you stated above. Our mufflers are custom made for our parent company to our specs by MagnaFlow.

Please be advised that we sold Dagger a engineered & tested exhaust system with high polished stainless steel exhaust tips that was completely wrapped with heat insulating tape for $1249.95. This price also included mufflers, pipe, mandrel bent S/S exhaust tips, and custom cut insulation for the inside of his car to eliminate the heat from the exhaust.

This system may be seen at our web site at http://www.members.aol.com/AtroRacingTeam/PRODUCTS/AtRoRacingsProductCatalog.

I again hope you enjoy your "Home made MAGNAFLOW off road!! best exhaust 4 price" system and hope it does not damage your vipers engine.

Robbie

OP
OP
Z

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
Re:

I did not pay extra for the tips, just flare out a 3" pipe, a little bit a a time and then spray paint black.

$ 740 installed, 3" off road exhaust including longer 3" flex pipes (to replace removed cat) with o2 sensors included.

And just how in the world is this going to damage my engine??? Stop trying to scare people away from it. it is just as safe as ANY exhaust out there.

The only thing that it may damage is the customer base of exhaust manufacturers, why pay more than double (including installation) when you can buy the parts yourself, and have a muffler shop do the work??

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

I can not believe you replaced your cats with a piece of flex pipe. Damage to your engine can occur when the ECM is not outputting the correct information to the engines ignition and fuel system that it was originally programmed for. If you have created a lean condition, I have no way of knowing what your "3" off road exhaust including longer 3" flex pipes" is really made of, then you will be burning up your valves and converters. A properly sized and designed exhaust system from myself, Corsa, Borla, Bellanger, or any other reputable manufacture works within the parameters that the factory ECM can handle. Once you remove your cats you have changed the input that the ECM receives. If you are going to run no cats you need to run the Dodge Competition ECM that is programmed for such use. A better way is to run Random Cats instead of no cats. By the way before you go off saying that your home made system is half the price of our engineered system you had better do your math over again. We are 40% more. That is $500.00 more for a complete system with stainless steel polished tips and a complete heat reduction kit that keeps the inside of your car cool. A proven system that makes dynoed power, sounds great, and does not damage your engine. But as you said above: "The only thing that it may damage is the customer base of exhaust manufacturers". You may be in for a surprise when you have a engine problem and try to get warranty help when they see your cobbled together system. But what do I know? My wife works for DC in warranty. $500.00 extra is nothing on a $100,000.00 investment in a Dodge Viper.
Good Luck.
Robbie

OP
OP
Z

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
Re:

My ECM receives the exact same information (voltage) from the O2 sensor sims than a stock car does, that's what the O2 simulator is for. therefore, no lean condition.

Your "system" (can any muffler and pipe be really called system?) is $500 more than my "system" minus installation. of course, if we add the random cats, etc.. we go well over more than $1,500 difference in price. that is significant. Just do the math (add 2xcats = installation)

in the 1 in 10,000 chance my engine ever blows (not for my exhaust, of course) I just bolt the old exhaust and tow the car to the dealer. simple, easly.

I will have this weekend my car dynoed, just to prove the h.p. increase. Someone up there claimed h.p. loss... again, trying to scare customers to buy their stuff... this is just a simple exhaust, one muffler, one pipe. Not a jet engine.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

"in the 1 in 10,000 chance my engine ever blows (not for my exhaust, of course) I just bolt the old exhaust and tow the car to the dealer. simple, easly."

That statement says it all

OP
OP
Z

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
Re:

Oh boy...How about this quote from you??
"I can not believe you replaced your cats with a piece of flex pipe. Damage to your engine can occur when the ECM is not outputting the correct information to the engines ignition and fuel system that it was originally programmed for"

Obviously you do not have any expertise, so in this case better read and learn before further embarrassment/loss of future customers.

A -Only the MAIN/FIRST O2 sensor is what determines Air/fuel mixture. Therefore, removing the cats DOES NOTHING to affect the mixture. Capische? :bonker:

B -2nd 02 sensor is only there to monitor the catalytic's performance. If the O2 level is the same, then there is either no cat/cat is not working... therefore if O2 voltage is the same in both sensors the "idiot light" comes on so you go back and replace/fix the cat. This is to comply with EPA regulations. it has NOTHING TO DO WITH PERFORMANCE... again, NO EFFECT on the mixture. Just an insane improvement of gas flow.

Just because my built my exhaust does not mean it is less efficient than one with a fancy name. I've been racing and building cars, motorcycles and jetskis for over 15 years now (damn, I am getting old!) so I know what I am doing better than many of those "aftermarket experts" out there who put two pipes together, give it a fancy name and cuadruple the price for the consumer.

There you have it. :D

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Good luck my friend and my best wishes to you. You have no clue. Now you claim to be a expert. Your earlier post say, and I quote, "I do not know squat about music, or sound engineering.........." I will not be responding to anymore of your posts on this subject but will be gladd to answer anyone's elses questions.
Good day,
Robbie

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re:

FatHo Racing, you are an idiot.

Anyone who has ever removed cats on an OBD-II car is [******] laughing their ***** off at you.

You have ZERO credibility, you two bit parts *****.

OP
OP
Z

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
Re:

Mk2, Miami Mufflers, 185th st SW and around 72 ave more or less..

But forget about having the cats removed if they do not know you... (they've worked on my cars since I first got my driver's license!) They'll build the system but you have to install it yourself. (bolt-on only, of course)

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

KENNY,
"FatHo Racing, you are an idiot.

Anyone who has ever removed cats on an OBD-II car is [******] laughing their ***** off at you.

You have ZERO credibility, you two bit parts *****. "

You really show the kind of man, oops I meant child, you are with that kind of language. Where were you brought up, in the streets? maybe you were not brought up, therefor you mouth.

As for cats, with all the high flowing cats on the market today there is no reason on earth to not run them on the street. What makes everyone who removes cats, which are required by law, feel they are better than the rest of us law abiding people. As one who has ashma from racing I can tell you there is a reason for cats and that is to help keep our polluted air clean but I guess some of you do not care about clean air. Cars without cats belong on the race track only which is why Mopar make a competition EMC for racing.
Robbie

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re:

KENNY,
"FatHo Racing, you are an idiot.

You have ZERO credibility, you two bit parts *****. "

You really show the kind of man, oops I meant child, you are with that kind of language. Where were you brought up, in the streets? maybe you were not brought up, therefor you mouth.

As for cats, with all the high flowing cats on the market today there is no reason on earth to not run them on the street. What makes everyone who removes cats, which are required by law, feel they are better than the rest of us law abiding people. As one who has ashma from racing I can tell you there is a reason for cats and that is to help keep our polluted air clean but I guess some of you do not care about clean air. Cars without cats belong on the race track only which is why Mopar make a competition EMC for racing.
Robbie

Mopar also provides O2 sims with that Race exhaust for those who want to run it without the Race PCM. I know, I have it on my car. Oh, but that's right O2 sims are 'snake oil'.

My car runs clean enough to pass a sniffer taste without the cats. But no emmission testing is required in my state.

ROGUE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

As for cats, with all the high flowing cats on the market today there is no reason on earth to not run them on the street.

Since you seem to know oh so much about "racing cats" just what (and no marketing b/s, true facts) separates a "racing cat" from a stock one? Do you have ANY idea what kind of restriction they place in the exhaust?

As one who has ashma from racing I can tell you there is a reason for cats and that is to help keep our polluted air clean but I guess some of you do not care about clean air. Cars without cats belong on the race track only which is why Mopar make a competition EMC for racing.
Robbie

Asthma from racing? BWAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA thats the funniest thing i've read here in quite some time. F1 drivers who breath in tons of carbon dust... they don't contract asthma from it. I've been breathing open exhaust fumes from leaded racing fuel since I was 4yrs old, nothing wrong with me so far.

And what you think that there is some magical barrier around the race track containing the air, to keep it from polluting the rest of LA? Give me a freakin break. Why is it that every third word you type is either total bull#&($, or trying to peddle your "engineered" (just who is the engineer, cause he should be fired) crap. You're not doing anyone any favors here, just go away, your disservices are not needed. We already have one guy who can take our $$ and lie to us about parts, don't need another.

OP
OP
Z

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
Re:

Atro racing...

I honestly feel sorry for anyone buying anything else other than T-shirts from you. You obviously know as much about engine tuning as I know about mortality death rates of praire dogs....

First, your argument was that I was going to "blow up" my engine because I had no cats...

Now, you are a tree hugger, and we should keep our cats because of "pollution" and "asthma"??? [******]??? Hahahaha!!...

Make up your mind and keep to one answer dude!! I feel embarrassed for you! :eek:

Save some face man... kill yourself!

rleminv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: \"Home made\" MAGNAFLOW off road!! best exhaust 4 price

Guys, I couldn't be happier.

I just had a muffler shop install for me the 3"I.D., 6"O.D., 30"long MAGNAFLOW round muffler.

Total price for a bad-ass off road 3" exhaust installed: $ 740

The best thing this muffler is so long, it is barely any louder than stock from idle through 2500-3000 rpm. and at WOT it sounds mean, nice but not too obnoxious.

I am a happy camper.... if anyone needs more details, contact me.

Wow, here's a real happy Viper owner that is sharing his cool experience with an exhaust that he seems pretty satisfied with and the best FatHo can do is pick a debate with him.

Does this mean unless we buy all our mods from FatHo and have him bless the install or do it himself we can't share our satisfaction of a Viper experience without his .02? Why do I have to keep going all the way to Bumfck, USA just to drive the damn car and then will it be ok if I choose differently?

Zorro, love the exhaust and your style. Makes me proud to be a hod rodder and know guys and gals out there are still doing it that way. New school is awesome and old school still rules! :2tu:

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

TO THE ABOVE PEOPLE WITH THE VERBLE ATTACKS
FIRST OOF LET ME SAY I AM SORRY.
When you make a comment like that you are really showing your ignorance. You do not know me, have never met me, and have not spoken with me in your whole life so to make such a comment is just as wrong as what I did regarding exhaust sims .Everybody makes mistakes, I am far from perfect, and I am man enough to admit that I screwed up when discussing the sims that take the place of O2 sensors and I am sorry. I had never heard of them before, we never used them in NASCAR.I was wrong to call them "Snake Oil" as I have been educated in there use and there are people using them successfully. But to say I do not know what I am doing in my field is slanderous and just as wrong as me calling sims snake oil. I have never felt that it is right to recommend a product that I have never heard of or have tried personally as we all know there are a lot of snake oil products out there like that ECM add on module that some guy on eBay was selling awhile ago. I do not know of anyone, except god, who is perfect and knows everything that is out there on the market in the performance world today. We have many happy customers who have bought our exhaust products, along with other products, and they do not feel they have been ripped off as they feel they received a high quality product. If there is any doubt in anyone's mind as to the quality of our products or our before and after sales support you need to go no further then these to post from two customers that bought our exhaust systems.

http://www4.forum.viperclub.org/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB21&Number=666969&fpart=&PHPSESSID=

http://www4.forum.viperclub.org/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB21&Number=682797&Forum=All_Forums&Words=10664&Match=Username&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=682797&Search=true#Post682797

We have been in business since 1979 and have a perfect record with the Better Business Bureau. Again I am not perfect but I must have done something right during 27 years in business with with the 2500 customers that I have.

Again I am sorry, and apologize, for coming on as strong as I did but I am as passionate about vipers as the rest of you.

Robbie
AtRo Racing Products

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960