Honest Opinions PLEASE.......................

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay I am SERIOUSLY considering.......................Selling my GEN 1 and buying a 00' Steel Grey/Cognac....OR..........................Upgrading the Hood and Front Fascia to a GEN2 and Having the entire car repainted Ferrari Grigio Alloy Blue................Which desision makes more sense.....have the "unique cool car" or save a few $$$$$ and have a perfect OEM car that is newer with actual windows?????......Note the GEN2 upgrades on my car already......

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sell the Gen I and get the newer car. I am selling my Gen I because I never get to drive it anymore with three kids. So a couple days ago I bought a SRT-10 RAM truck. Although the truck is a lot heavier it is nice having all the new gadgets, 6 seats and still having a Viper engine. If I didn't have the kids and didn't need the extra seats I probably would have gone with a late Gen II Viper in steel grey...so that is my two cents!

OP
OP
V

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd go with the Gen II since that's clearly what you want ...
You picked that up from my post......You are good you.....NA NA...YOU got a Gift my friend.....seriously you are right....I have just been trying to convince myself the side exhaust is enough of a reason to keep my GEN 1...But you hit the nail on the head....THANK YOU...

joshwars

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bet to do the Gen 1 updates and do it right, your probably out the same money to do the paint/body upgrade, or damn close. I would do move to the Gen2.

danalt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would go for the gen II course that is what i have,
and i like that color i would love to have a cognac interior in my yellow 01 but they only made one of those!

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you absolutely love the GEN 1, procedd with it. Dont expect ever to get you dollars back.
Actually people will give you grief about car being wrecked and repainted (even if it isn't...) They always assume that when they see a completely new color.

Sounds more that you like the comfort/looks of a GEN2. You may want to sell this one and buy the one you like better.

ryan94rt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
if i were you i'd go with the gen 2 too...if you do all those upgrades you will actually devalue the car...and you'll never get the money spent back out of it!...the gen 2 will give you all the luxuries you are looking for...and there are a few of the steel grey with cognac on ebay right now...that color combo is awesome and so is the saphire with cognac!..take a look you may get a better deal on that one!

my 2 cents

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd go with the Gen II since that's clearly what you want ...
You picked that up from my post......You are good you.....NA NA...YOU got a Gift my friend.....seriously you are right....I have just been trying to convince myself the side exhaust is enough of a reason to keep my GEN 1...But you hit the nail on the head....THANK YOU...

You could always buy the Gen 2 and convert it to side exhaust

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a past green 95 owner maybe we have similar likes. I changed to a Black 2000 RT/10 for the windows and new hardtop. It was only slightly better. The top is still a PITA. The best choice in my opinion is the 3rd one SRT/10.There is nothing you won't like and prices will be similar. Dare I say that I now only keep my GTS because of it's looks it is now my 2nd favorite car.

OP
OP
V

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you everybody for your input....I have a lot to consider....If I keep the GEN 1....i am only going to do the GEN2 hood and Fascia and keep it Green...that might be a good choice to keep me happy....Thanks again..

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is a very hard choice. I think the Ferrari Blue is an amazing color choice but economically that is probably not the best decision since G-D forbid you ever need to sell the car, you are not going to get any of that money back. Go with the newer car and I guarantee you will be happy. Good luck with your choice!!

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really like the smooth custom look of a gen 1 car.Rather than modifying its best points I'd go for a late GTS 01 or 02.Best built of the 2nd gen and abs brakes.Its hard to beat the smooth looks of the classic gen 1 except possibly by a gen 2 gts. Bruce

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The first Viper I drove was a 1995 Gen I for a day as a rental. I loved every minute of it. I bought a Gen II RT/10 because it is IMO what the designers would have done had they not rushed the 1989 concept Viper into production. (with the exception of side pipes)

Your decision should be based mostly on how long you plan on keeping your Viper. Getting it customized would be worth it to you if you never sell. If you like to trade in often get a Gen II or III. I personally am never trading in, only adding more Vipers even if it takes years till my next one. Good luck, :2tu:

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say keep the Gen I and mod it up. I think the Gen I is way more fun to drive any day than the Gen II.

My gen I with Heads, Cam and Headers makes more power than my Gen II and the torque is 100 More Ft lb's at the rear wheels.

Had the choice of which one I wanted to hop in today and chose the Gen I. Fun Factor for me is way better, maybe that is because I like the RT myself.

I guess either way you can't go wrong and the graphite is beautiful.

If I had to choose between a stock Gen I and a stock Gen II I would take a Gen II.

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went from my Gen I to Gen 2 and there is a BIG difference!! I've never looked back....but do miss my first Viper!! :)

OP
OP
V

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool. Thanks a bunch guys...my only fear jumping to the GEN 2 is that it will be too perfect to "customize"....I love taking a cool car and making it an "awesome" car...it gives me a feeling of accomplishment.....Does that sound stupid???

S

SUN RA KAT

Cool. Thanks a bunch guys...my only fear jumping to the GEN 2 is that it will be too perfect to "customize"....I love taking a cool car and making it an "awesome" car...it gives me a feeling of accomplishment.....Does that sound stupid???

Just customize it under the hood. :headbang: