Hood Pad & Removal Tool Questions

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took a hood pad that had been ordered for my '96 GTS (since sold) and painted the logo on it in argent and red. Time to install on my 2000. What is the hot setup on a tool to remove the old clips? I am hoping to not damage the orignal. And, do the clips just break off leaving a piece inside the hood cavity? According to the parts book I have, all Vipers have used the same insulation pad since they started using the black pad. So, I am guessing it is safe to assume that this '96 GTS pad is the same as the one I am removing from my 2000 GTS. (The reason I ask is that the factory pad on the 2000 seems a tad thicker...but it is on the car so it is tough to tell.) Thanks!!

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matt,
some of the clips will break off leaving a piece in the hood cavity. othere will come right out.. in any case i replace all 19
clips i had on my 2001 when i took my pad off painted it then reinstalled it.

If you take your time and go very slow and carefully you should not have a problem getting the hood pad off without harming it.

good luck and post pics of your new one...

JIM
patriotx.gif

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No pic of the tool.. just looks like a modified
straight blade screw driver. it has a small V like indentation in the blade. To grip the push pin.
you apply some downward pressure and they just pop out.

Someday i will get a digital camera!!!

JIM

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matt,

I've got a tool I'll let you borrow. It came with the painted hoodpad I ordered from JonB. Like JIM said, it looks like a standard (but wide) slotted screw driver only it is crooked and has a v shaped cut in it that allows you to get under the fastener and the crook in it allows you to pry. (kinda like a small wonder bar or crow bar)

Anyway, shoot me an email with your addresss and I'll send it to you. Please do send it back when done.

Paul

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim (jimandela)

Did you order the new clips from the dealer, or did you find some that worked just as well or better at a local parts store...and if you ordered them from the dealer, do you know the part numbers?

OP
OP
M

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Paul, if they are as cheap as listed above, I'll get one locally...otherwise, I'll be in touch. With all the resto work I have done...I might even have one. What did you guys do to avoid damaging the pad with the tool while removing the clips. Finally...I bought a box of 25 or 50 of these clips from an auto body supply house, they are the same ones my '72 Plymouth uses. The are the same as the ones from a dealer..and much cheaper. I can give the part number and maker if anyone wants it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc