Hood Pad?

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All cars are required to meet gov't standards for radiated electrical signals. With a non-metal hood, the Viper is free to radiate electro-magnetic interference from the ignition, electronic fuel injection, ECU wiring, etc. So having a conductive layer in the hood pad helps with that, and the pad is grounded at the two rear corners (somewhat marginally by shielding standards).

I happened to be in a EMI screening facility near San Jose last January and saw them testing the new Tesla Model S (power train/no body) for radiated signals. One helluva battery pack and power controller in those cars...

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting!

I removed the hood pad from my 2000 Dodge Ram and anytime I turn on the HID's I get static on the radio. Would a hood pad help this issue or is it just the HID's?

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to know the purpose of the hood pad & why is it grounded. Is it necessary (hood pad & ground)

After I bought the 2009 ACR and saw there is no hood pad and the paint on the hood is not effected I started taking out the hood pads out of all my Gen 2 Vipers because there is alot of engine heat in the cab so I take it out hoping I get less heat built up uinder the hood and I have NEVER had static in my radio, etc with that ground wire off them....so I don't feel it hurts a thing at all...my experience on the hood pads......

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to know the purpose of the hood pad
I think its offically called a silencer pad, which would imply that its purpose is to muffle sound.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery