Hood Paint Bumps 94 RT/10

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have about 15 pin head sized bumps that have formed on the hood of my 94 RT/10 just to the left of the driver sider "speaker". What causes these and can they be wet sanded or will that only make the situation worse? If stripping and repainting the hood is the only option, what is a reasonable cost and will the repainted hood hurt resale more than the bumps?

OP
OP
S

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would hope this is not from Zaino. I doubt that is the cause.

From prior posts these seem to be a hood issue only. Not sure if the hood is a different type of composite than the rest of the body or if any filler used on the hood under the paint was incompatable with the composite and is causing this. This may be a long term composite issue just like you never see an old Corvette without paint cracks. (And like you never see an old non composite car without rust.

I have heard of issues due to repeated cold to hot cycles in cold climates or cracks due to improper placement of hands on unsupported front of hood while closing. My car has been in Florida its entire life, so change from extreme cold to extreme heat has never been an issue. The bubbles seem to be my only problem and they seem to be multiplying.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sounds like the old paint separation from the composite problem. Do a search for paint bubbles on hood.

BINGO. Quite a few of these were fixed under the 3-yr warrantee. Miles and climate eventually conspired, but it USUALLY happened sooner, as the hood and filler cured (out-gassed). NOT THE ZAINO !!!!!!!!!!!

(But it might be the fault of the VCA officers of that era.................... Ooops, that was ME !! )