Hopping Mad Viper

BullRider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2001 RT/10: smooth tubes, otherwise stock.

Quick question. I'm not sure what's "normal" in regards to the VIPERs yet, as I've only had mine out a handful of times so far. When I punch it enough to break the rear wheels loose, the VIPER hops in a most undignified manner. Is this a matter of sticky Michelin tires trying to get a grip, or some other issue? I'm thinking maybe it could be a problem with engine mounts? Car has 57Kmiles.

Thanks, in advance.

Bob

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Normal if the road is even slightly bumpy. At stop signs and lights, the road is far from perfect because of the additional loads involved from braking and accelerating. These locations make wheel hop all the more noticeable.

Do a search for wheel hop and you find a lot of threads.

OP
OP
B

BullRider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like my hopping issue isn't isolated. Thanks for the thread links. I've yet to get my four wheel alignment done.. that might help some after that's all done.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BullRider,

You may also want to try the new PS2 Michelins as they may break away in a more controlled manner, rather than older and harder Pilot Sports.

I believe from reading previous posts, that a sponsoring vendor JonB has the best price on these tires.

Regards,
Aaron

OP
OP
B

BullRider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm shopping for new wheels and tires, but its a pretty hefty price tag that goes with that rubber. Convincing the wifey that the Viper needs $6K worth of add-ons is proving to be difficult. I will let everyone know about the alignment. Car is scheduled to go in next Friday for its structural tests and alignment (needed to insure here). Should know more by the following week.

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get some sticky tires like Kumhos and replace the tranny and motor mounts with poly , then go with a 3:55 rear gear , no more hopping...........

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm shopping for new wheels and tires, but its a pretty hefty price tag that goes with that rubber. Convincing the wifey that the Viper needs $6K worth of add-ons is proving to be difficult. I will let everyone know about the alignment. Car is scheduled to go in next Friday for its structural tests and alignment (needed to insure here). Should know more by the following week.

Structural tests? What the hell are structural tests?

ViperJay

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i have been a bullrider myself in the last month. since its gotten cooler here, if i put my foot even half way down i get wheel hop in first and second. i need some ps2's. last weekend i was coming out of a shopping mall making a left turn onto the main strip. i didnt have my foot on it too hard but the back end came right out. some old lady on the road almost pooed in her pants and pulled over. what could i do? i put my foot all the way down and hit second. damn that is just soooo much fun!

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Older discussions seem to suggest having all the nuts and bolts retightened to proper torque.

Colder weather seems to aggravate this condition. Also older tires that have gotten hard combined with cold weather does not help.

Make sure shocks are working well and not leaking.

You can usually feel this wheel hop all the way into your shifter.

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mines been doing this too lately, it has been slightly colder here but it still bothers me. As soon as I can I am going to go to poly mounts and see if that helps. I have PS's on and there only 2 years old.

OP
OP
B

BullRider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, everyone!

Where's the best place to grab poly mounts from? And how big a job is swapping them all out?

OP
OP
B

BullRider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Structural tests? What the hell are structural tests?

In Cannucky land up here, when you bring in a salvage car and rebuild it, you need to get the frame tested and evaluated by a frame shop before you can register and insure the vehicle. Makes sense, but its a royal PITA.:crazy2:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, everyone!

Where's the best place to grab poly mounts from? And how big a job is swapping them all out?

The tranny mount and crossmember is simple. Just need to get the car up in the air a bit.

See Dave's Big Brakes for parts.

The engine mounts are more difficult. There is a post in the Illustrated Upgrades section that shows a lot of that.

I plan on doing the engine mounts at the same time I do headers. Can't think of a better time than when the exhaust is out of the damn way!

The tranny mount I already did and it made a difference. Can't wait for the rest!

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In Cannucky land up here, when you bring in a salvage car and rebuild it, you need to get the frame tested and evaluated by a frame shop before you can register and insure the vehicle. Makes sense, but its a royal PITA.:crazy2:

Take a passenger to the frame shop with 38D's and a thin low blouse. On a very cold day...

You might pass very quickly.