Hot 60 foot times with BFG 18" 345 at Bradenton Dragstrip

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hot 60 foot times with BFG 18\" 345 at Bradenton Dragstrip

Just in from test and tune @ Bradenton Dragstrip...... weather conditions not idea for drag racing. I went late because it was so HOT today. I arrived at track at 9:00pm.... and when we left it was 10:50pm and 82 degrees and enough humidity it was almost hard to breath.

I had one air gauge with lowest reading was 20psi and my one I use with my Mickey Thompson ET streets that starts @ 15 psi. Fuelman gave me some pointers to run BFG. First to set at 17.5 psi....Well...The best I could tell I ran them about 16psi.

They are hard to do a burn out .... when you start to smoke them, they pull sideways. First pass I launched somewhat easy ....@ 3000 RPM. I also shifted easy.
They hooked HARD out of the hole, also shifts were very hard. Bradenton had prep track very well for a test and tune!!!

Well first pass was a 1.586 @ 60 foot .....NOT bad for 18" BFG Drag Radial on Pruner rims.

I thought that went well and it was getting late ....so I needed to make another pass and bump it up a bit....Lets run harder on the next pass.

This time ....I had a good little burn out. Went to line and launched at 3500 RPM...... It launched HARD and TIGHT ....so I brought up RPMs at shifts ....HARD and TIGHT shifts every time...... got down to time slip shack and could not believe my eyes.....

I ran a 1.498 @ 60 foot on the BFG. I did not think these Radials were capable of running that low of a 60 foot.

I was running Pruner skinnys on the front.

It was a fun evening..... but Florida sure could use some cooler weather... I guess I am dreaming .... maybe in another 6 months.

Cudaman :usa:

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Hot 60 foot times with BFG 18

Wow amazing 60ft times on drag radials :eek: what did you run with such an impressive 60ft time btw :D

OP
OP
C

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Moundir.....It was all right but I should have run up RPMS higher before shifts and needed to throw on a intercooler or aftercooler.
10.59 @ 134 mph

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

EXCELLENT 60'. now thats where i want to be on BFGs.

16psi and a launch of about 3500? sounds like a good recipe.

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Cudamna, one question; why were you on BFGs? just testing em or doing some R and D?

OP
OP
C

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

rdustman.... mostly curious.....Fuelman and myself have a little information gathering (R and D , J and P) going on for John Pruner.

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

do you think the results you got are reproduceable for a almost stock viper? (headers/exhaust mods) obviously with practice

OP
OP
C

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have over 700hp at wheels ..... I would think you could get close with practice, but not that low. Fuelman is getting "good" numbers on them, he is not stock either, but less mods than me ( but he has more mods in progress).

It would be interesting to see what kind of results a stock Viper could get out of them. They would be the cheapest "bang for the buck"(@ dragstrip) for a "creampuff" (18" rimmed car). They mount on a stock 18" rim... NO brake modifications and for less than $400 , you would get lower a ET. But do NOT drive these tires in the rain !!!!

rdustman are you stock ?

Cudaman

SMCBUILDERSINC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Cudaman, Can you describe the mods done to your engine in detail? Sounds like you are running almost as fast as some of the DLM cars with 800-850 rwhp.

OP
OP
C

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

SMCBUIDERSINC....Give Larry Macedo a call ... he built motor and knows the details. Like the color of your GTS...maybe we should be posting how fast the Sapphires are!

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ive got exhaust mods, vec1, tubes/filter. what i meant was can a stock or mod similar to mine produce those numbers (60' numbers) on the bfg's. ive been using them since may and im wondering how much more to expect out of them.

OP
OP
C

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would consider you stock. What is your best 60 ft @ what RPM & what PSI?

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

best 60' 1.753 17.5 psi, launch between 2500-3000. I bog at 2500 and spin at 3000

OP
OP
C

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would try 16.5 psi @ 2800 and leave at 2800 until aprox 20 to 40 feet of track and then get into RPMs smoothly but hard. Do NOT launch at 2800 and put it to floor .... give tires a chance to hook and go down track as you are getting into your torque and power band. That is your starting point adjust from there. Good luck ....let us know your results.

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ill give it a try and let you know next week. get out there and drive that 71 cuda! or you could send it up here for some TLC, LOL

OP
OP
C

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

rdustman.... did you realize you are almost "over the hill" you are getting ready to do your 1000 post.....should I send you the 71 Cuda?

OP
OP
C

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I did my 200th before you did your 1000th.... I get to keep the Cuda.
Sorry,

Saleen-Explorer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Cudaman - are you going to be up at Bradenton this week? W're going to be up at our lakehouse in Lake Placid for about 10 days, might have to take a drive up to Bradenton if your going to be out there :D Love to see your Viper tear the track up.

Moroso is closer to where I live, Boca Raton, but it seems there are more Vipers in the Orlando area that run at Bradenton.

By the way, awsome 60ft times ;)

OP
OP
C

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I live in Bradenton. E-mail me. You should come to Bradenton/Sarasota .... they are have hugh offshore this Sat and Sunday right off our beautiful white sand beaches and it is FREE to watch. Here is link http://suncoastoffshore.org/powerboats.htm

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Any problems with the bias, skinnies, on the front and the radials on the rear?
It seems there has always been conflicting feedback on that combo.

OP
OP
C

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

HP....I checked with John Pruner before I ran....Bias on front with radial is fine ....But NEVER run radial front and bias rear. When I ran thru traps I was doing 134 mph and straight as an arrow.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dayyyyyum. I knew the BFGs were good, but I had no idea they were sub-1.5 good. Congratulations!!!

I'm taking my Benz out later today to try to rip off a 1.6 60 now that I've read this.

Regarding mixing bias & radials, here's the scoop. As a general rule, bias plys have slower transient steering response than radials. Thus, if you turn the steering wheel, the radials will generate cornering force more quickly than will the bias plys. That's fine if the radials are on the rear and the bias-plys are on the front: you get slow steering response, but the rear end tracks the front nicely. It's bad, however, if the radials are on the front -- the front end of the car responds to steering inputs immediately, but the rear lags. Feels like transient oversteer, and it's easy to get into an oscillation and go sideways.

So net net: bias plys all around, good. Bias front, radial rear: good. Bias rear, radial front: bad.

OP
OP
C

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Excellent explanation Professor Treynor .... I always like to hear reasoning of why not instead of just do not do it.

Ben... I was just as surprised as you with the low 60 foot.

Fuelman and Pruner had suggested I try them!

I will continue to race on MT ET Streets.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score

..maybe we should be posting how fast the Sapphires are!

My best 60' so far has been a couple of 1.65's. Stock car. 15 psi hot and launch at 3800.

Ward without a doubt Sapphire's are the fastest Vipers. :D

OP
OP
C

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

1.65's. Stock car. 15 psi hot and launch at 3800

Sweet time for a "stock creampuff"

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Cudaman; whats with the teaser, offering me the cuda convert then yankin it outta my salivating grasp before i could even educate the tires on it, LOL ahh well, im holdin out for a all stock hemicuda convert in plum crazy anyway. and i will get one eventualy, its a mission i intend to complete.

OP
OP
C

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ahh well, im holdin out for a all stock hemicuda convert in plum crazy anyway. and i will get one eventualy, its a mission i intend to complete.

My Cuda was so upset you wanted to pass her for another! I can not even get her to come out of her garage!