Hot AS HADES NEED YOUR INPUT

ronviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sunday i went to a friends for BBQ as i was about to leave i had my keys in my hand. One of my friends buddy grabed my keys and gave me the keys to his older 911. I was caught off guard and did not want to create a scene but i was pissed. He goes up the street in first gear and punched it the car went side ways , he comes back right away scared as hell. I am still upset at myself for not stopping this idiot, i had visions of him hitting the parked cars on the street. I didn't want to appear VAIN but it just doesn't sit well with me even now. Should i have said what i felt, which was all four letter words. I am very ticked off with myself!

AZVIPERS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, I would have had a few words with that guy. I use the insurance excuse all the time and everyone seems to understand.

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No offense, but, man, you're easy. A guy who's not one of your close friends -- just a friend of a friend -- walks up to you, hands you the keys to his old POS 911, and figures that entitles him to take your $70,000 Viper on an oh-sh*t! joyride. And you let him! I'd be careful, because if the word gets out, total strangers will be beating a path to your door with the keys to their Mustangs and Camaros and riced out Hondas looking for a chance to try their hand at wrestling the big snake around.

Seriously, you are very lucky that idiot didn't total your Viper and take along a couple of the neighbors cars with it. Most Viper owners won't let anyone drive their cars. And, as you see now, for good reason. (There was a message posted on this board a few months ago which featured a picture of a red GTS on its side down in a deep ravine and the title "My Dad wrecked my Viper!") Just chalk this up as a learning experience that fortunately did not have an unhappy ending. You are not being a **** for refusing to allow someone to drive your car.

I have let a few others drive my Viper. But I carefully choose the venue, I am always in the passenger seat, and the experience is preceded by an admonition against sudden applications of throttle with the wheels pointed anything but straight ahead. The guys I've let drive my car were just happy to have an opportunity to pilot the beast; ragging it or flogging it were the farthest things from their minds. I guess I'm easy, too...

OP
OP
R

ronviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is the first time anyone has driven my car, i was at the dealer when the car came off the trailer not even the dealer has driven my car. I didn't want people to think because i owned a Viper that i worship the car and create a scene. In hind sight if it happened again i would react differently and tell him where to stuff it. I did no want to look pompous however i have to live with myself and i am not happy for not saying what i felt. Hopefully this makes sense.

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How would you like to give your keys to complete strangers day in and day out? I do. If you are going to give your keys to anyone, give them a little info. Point the car straight when accelerating hard, don't downshift in corners, watch curbs/valance, etc. It's YOUR job to tell them. I always ask what kind of performance car they have driven in the past... to get an idea if they have any knowledge of what they are about to drive. One guy the other day says " nothing, just my cavilar" These kind of drivers need 20-30 minutes of orientation......

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Don't feel bad. It's your car you worked hard for and if got wrecked, then that idiot is out nothing and you are out a lot. I don't like rude people who pull that kind of crap.

I was at a gas station and this idiot teenager comes up to me and demands me to fire up my car. I looked at him and said "do you always tell people what to do, Punk As*!" He looked at me and didn't say anything.

Later on the gas station attendant told me that the kid said the Viper sounds like a tractor. Well, I saw the kid's ride and said.."yeah". Little redneck kids in Louisville KY cruising Preston Hwy...hmm...future hamburger flipping kids!

OP
OP
R

ronviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to all who replied i was more mad at myself for not reacting to the situation properly, i was totally caught off guard. How many people have the nerve this guy had it's unusual to say the least.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is probably the #1 scenario which happens between my self and personal friends and aquaintences. Here is how I handle it, friends who I think are capable of driving it are more than welcome after all it is just a car. If I feel that they cant I laugh it off, not making a sceene but just giving them a smile and change the subject. If the person is not a friend of mine than the answer is simple no. If you dont want to offend em use the laugh/change subject option.

However if my friend pulled that kind of crap where he went sideways in the car and he was not doing it intentionaly then I would have a few choice words to say. And never let him drive anything I own again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4