Hot Battery Charger

dans69ss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just picked up a battery tender from Sears and plugged it into the cigarette lighter. I noticed that the unit was very warm to near hot...is this normal? Just wanted to make sure it's not a fire hazzard. I have another trickle charger Schumacher (brand) and it also seems to get pretty warm during the charging process. :confused:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the same topic here... I have a basic battery charger that is 12v with a 6 and 2 amp option. Now if I leave it on 2amp, would that be the same as the branded "Battery Tenderer"? Or should I spend the money on the name brand?

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get the Battery Tender Plus (the Battery Tender Junior is ok for a motorcycle). I used to have problems with the batteries on my boat and motorcycle. Both are seasonal and I never remember to start them once in a while so I'd end up buying a new battery for each every year. Got a Battery Tender for the bike about a year ago and leave it plugged in all the time, the battery is like new always. I liked it so much I got one for the boat too. Look them up and you'll see they are much different than a normal charger, even set at 2 amps (I've got one of those too).

Gibson_L-5

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Consider the CTEK as well. A much better unit.

CTEK from now on...Came with my F430 (model 800) with Ferrari logo, also standard from Ason Martin, Bentley, ect..purchased 2 CTEK 3300 units which have settings for glass mat, Optima, motorcycle ect....Hard to beat Battery Tender warranty-Lifetime, but I have sent 6 back in the last year, which they charge 10 bucks each. Seems their chargers are fairly sensitive to voltage surge from T-storms or low voltage from a long AC run.