Hot lapped a 2008 ACR today at Willow Springs

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

The car is absolutely unbelievable. Rocman let me drive his '08 ACR today at WSIR with the HPDE 4 group (fastest time trial group) with NASA. I was running pretty much against all track cars in a bone stock street car. Not only that, we didn't put on the track splitter, there was no alignment yet, I forgot to adjust the shocks to what Mark Jorgensen suggested, it was 100 degrees & 80% humidity in a $100K+ car that wasn't mine.
Impressions:
This car is incredible compared to my track prepped Gen2 on Hoosiers. The grip is phenomenal, the Pilot Cups gripped wonderfully and wore well. The ACR is surprisingly forgiving on the "Fastest Track in the West", novice and intermediate drivers will love it, it's actually easy to drive (comparatively). Minor corrections were easy as pie and the car ate up those fast sweepers.
It's a pass anywhere run group, so I passed track cars on the inside of the turn 2 sweeper for those of you familiar with the track, it held the line. At a 100 degrees the brakes never faded (stock fluid), it never ran hot, it didn't whimper at anything, just delivered on demand. As with all Vipers it did push, especially later when it was "greasy". An alignment, the splitter and a shock adjustment would of remedied this. I was surprised that at the beginning of the day with 48 cars registered when it came to my (3rd) last session I gridded in the top 10, props to Redsled his full blown race Viper was faster.
Times:
1st session 1:37xx (feeling out)
2nd session 1:34xx (getting better)
3rd session 1:33xx (never thought I break session 2's time in those conditions)
Conclusion:
This car is a monster, Mr. Pemberton was correct when he said I wouldn't find its limits in 1 track day. Completely sorted out and a little seat time and good weather there is not a doubt this old fart could go in the high 1:20s :nod:

Keller

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK F-IT! I have been trying to talk myself out of buying one of these:mad:
Thanks for making my decision easier:2tu:
This will be my next car.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the write up. that car sure is a beast. How many other cars do you know you can drive to the track and run those kind of times? None. That is an awesome car for sure.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Now, sign up now for NASA's National Championship event at Mid-Ohio! There were easily 200 cars there this past weekend. Some serious competition.

Ahem, 'bone stock street car' is true, but come on, $10k aero package, another $5000 for the rotors and wheels/tires. Redefines 'stock.' LOL

OP
OP
S

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Now, sign up now for NASA's National Championship event at Mid-Ohio! There were easily 200 cars there this past weekend. Some serious competition.

Ahem, 'bone stock street car' is true, but come on, $10k aero package, another $5000 for the rotors and wheels/tires. Redefines 'stock.' LOL

The rotors weren't that much :rolaugh:

Oh, and it wasn't corner weighted either :D

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
damn that guy in the pic looks like ALL BUSINESS. nice write up ron.

how did rocman do out there ?

rocman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
damn that guy in the pic looks like ALL BUSINESS. nice write up ron.

how did rocman do out there ?

I didn't do bad considering it was my second time on the track, and my first time driving my ACR. I was only able to get a 1:40. I know where I made mistakes, and I just got to get up the nerve to go a little faster around the corners, although I was going 125 around turn 8. :) I royally kept screwing up Turn 1, and turn 4, but got all the others right. When I am used to the car, my times will improve. I now have around 40 laps under my belt.

I hate not doing well, but I have to keep telling myself that I am still a beginner. I was passing a lot of people though, and I got the car going over 140 down the front straight. :D

NK BREKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rocman,

You were flying man! :drive: This was the only time I was in front of you. Big thanks to Kala for the awesome shots!

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

02 Graphite GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rocman,
You also lost at least 2 seconds from the drool that all of us left on your car!!
Your ACR is absolutely awesome and you should be proud of your times, especially for your first time out in it.

Lance

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
What a day Sunday was. I'm still recovering - just got the car out of the trailer last night.

Definitely not the best track conditions that day - just too hot and humid for this track.

We had a group of about 18 Vipers at this NASA event - it was very cool that we were able to get our own run group. Thanks NASA!

Drivers were at various skill levels from first timers to advanced "time trialers" with one racer. Everyone seemed to have fun.

Rev, Chris and I ran 1:34's - 1:35's in our street cars during the last session on Toyos.

Rocman, you did very well for your first time in the car. With a little more seat time and practice at Willow, we'll be eating your dust in the very near future.

What a cool car that new ACR is - very intimidating to look at on the track. Really glad you and Ron could make it out.

Hope to see you guys at the track again next time.

Dan :drive:

PS Wing and splitter from Autoform have arrived - should be on next time.

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark,

The funny thing is, during the video, your car looks like a Predator Shark swallowing up the competition in the video.

Really Sinister, Really Cool!

Jay K.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car is amazing. I still cant believe it whipped the new GT2 in the Road and Track mag by a full 2 seconds.

OP
OP
S

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car is amazing. I still cant believe it whipped the new GT2 in the Road and Track mag by a full 2 seconds.

A lot of it is the aero, my buddy had his sorted out '08 coupe hit a 151 mph in the brake zone into turn #1, the car was driven by one of the best Viper drivers today. A lot has been made of the rear wing drag but the un-sorted ACR hit 147 mph in the same spot driven by me, not nearly as good a driver as the coupe drive. The run out of turn #9 into that straight is unreal in an ACR and it also took turn #1 faster :headbang:

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The 08 Viper ACR is a track star period. It is and will be a legend. In 10 years it will still be the standard by what other production street cars are measured with at the track.

Dodge needs to get off it’s ass, and go break records at the “ring” The Viper will then get the respect it deserves.

OK I'LL DO IT. I was asked to post my unedited version.

The Viper is and will continue to be a legend. The 08 Viper ACR is a track star period. In 10 years it will still be the standard by what other production street cars are measured with at the track. The 08 ACR as with past Vipers, brutality beheads it’s foe, with ease. Wave after wave of other supercars step to fight but leave with: faded brakes, blown engines and mangled body panels. The Viper is the Automotive Spartan of our time.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mohed2003