Hot starting question

DMC94

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Technical question: My '94 refuses to start for approx 1/2 hour after I drive for about twenty miles or more. What could be causing this REALLY annoying problem, and is there a relatively easy fix. NO check engine light comes on as well.

ceieio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT COLOR="Black">DMC94 - Could you provide more detail around "refuses to start" when hot? Does it turn over? Is the cranking speed normal when hot? Does it sputter and cough or just act like it is out of gas or no ignition?

Maybe we can scare up some ideas.

Thanks,
Ceieio</FONT c>

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DMC94,
Do a search on fuel pumps, I have read about start up problems concerning the fuel pump on these cars.
Just another avenue for you to consider while trouble shooting your problem.
Chuck

OP
OP
DMC94

DMC94

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Regarding further clarification on "refusing to start": There is no response from the starter. When I turn the key, NO sound occurs. Lights work, stereo works, all other electrical functions occur, but no evidence of ignition whatsoever. The starter is new and the bushings on the clutch pedal have been replaced with metal from the original plastic thanks to the staff at Dan Cragins Viper Shop (the next stop for the car if I can't find a fix)

ceieio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT COLOR="Black">
That's an odd one. Given the symptoms, my guess is a weak electrical component. Since you have no noise whatsoever, perhaps it is the engine starter motor relay in the power distribution center. When the car is acting up you can pop the relay and try a quick jumper (with the car in Neutral!!!) to see if the starter solenoid will engage.

You need to locate the battery lead connector and the relay output connector (The relay has 5 sockets under it on my 96.) On mine, the battery lead is at the 9 o'clock position, and the relay output is at the 3 o'clock position. If you can remove the relay and get the solenoid to engage by jumping while the car is balking, then the relay is the culprit. Just be careful not to run over yourself.

Since the starter is new, is this an ongoing problem that a new starter did not fix, or an unrelated one?

Also, poke around near the starter itself. Look for loose or dirty connections. Heat raises electrical resistance so a marginal connection can turn into a failing one after a little heat soak. Been there and done that on a brand-x car before.

Good luck, this one sounds tricky!

</FONT c>

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery