Hotter air hotter engine?

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lets say that your Viper is running above the thermostat temp.
Lets say that 200F is common for your car when in traffic on an 80F day.

Now, the weather changes and you are in the same traffic on a 100F day.

Does your car just run 20F hotter?

I believe that I remember something about the heat transfer being more efficient when the temp delta is higher, but I might be wrong about that.

My Viper doesn't run hot at all but I have heard some talk about the guys in the SouthWest having hot days.

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive out to Death Valley now in then in all my cars and they all seem to stay relatively cool and never overheat.

GT40DOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I LIVE IN SO. AZ. AND IF I GET CAUGHT IN AN AFTERNOON "PARKING LOT" MY GTS , WITH A/C ON,WILL CLIMB TO 225-230F. THAT IS WITH AN AMBIENT OF 100-105F. WITH THAT AMBIENT, THE ASPHALT ,IN THE SUN, WILL BE 150-155F. IT IS TOUGH ON COOLING SYSTEMS DOWN HERE. MAYBE THAT IS WHY SO MANY CAR COMPANYS HOT WEATHER TEST HERE. "DUH"

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I LIVE IN SO. AZ. AND IF I GET CAUGHT IN AN AFTERNOON "PARKING LOT" MY GTS , WITH A/C ON,WILL CLIMB TO 225-230F. THAT IS WITH AN AMBIENT OF 100-105F. WITH THAT AMBIENT, THE ASPHALT ,IN THE SUN, WILL BE 150-155F. IT IS TOUGH ON COOLING SYSTEMS DOWN HERE. MAYBE THAT IS WHY SO MANY CAR COMPANYS HOT WEATHER TEST HERE. "DUH"

OK, BUT CAN YOU PLEASE STOP YELLING, thank you. :D

OP
OP
J

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh yeah, yelling. I could hear it all the way over on the "Snake Pit".

Anyway,
I was talking about a mythical car that was already running above the thermostat temp.
In other words, the cooling system was operating at max with the fans on.

If the outside air temp goes up 20F, does the car run 20F hotter?