How best to protect the SRT-10 -- ideas?

BishopTx

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Okay this is my new ride, http://gallery.viperclub.org/showphoto.php/photo/7482/size/big/sort/1/cat/500 , and as you may expect I'm very motivated to protect her as well as possible.

I just got the clear bra installed on the front end to mid hood and mirrors.

My dilemma is how to protect the car on the underside sills and right behind the tires. I've seen so many SRT-10's with rock chips in those areas, especially as the sills start to round down and go underneath the car..(in fact I've not seen a SRT-10 that's been driven that doesn't have some chips in those areas). The car panels go a good ways underneath the car.

Some may say that's just part of ownership and it's not a big deal because you can't see 99% of those issues. But it is a big deal to me. Paint chips can lead to problems down the road, and plus I was my Snake to be perfect.

I asked the ClearBra guys if they could put some protection in those problematic areas but they said that it gets too hot in there (exhaust and whatnot) and that the ClearBra coating would probably peel off or do something its not intended to...

So that leaves me with my dilemma.

Anyone else thought about this, or are as anal about keeping their car perfect as I am..What have you done.

And BTW - the ClearBra on the front, bumper, mid-hood and mirrors = worth every penny.

Chris

kmg99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had the 3M material applied to the side sills and behind the front and rear tires with no issues. Just make sure the material on the side sills is dry before driving for an extended period as the water used to place the product will boil out. Temperature has not proven to be an issue.

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought clear plastic film about 7 inches wide designed to protect paint chips from Eastwood. They can be applied and take off at will without any damage to the paint. I am afraid of anything permanent-worrying of discoloration from the heat over a period of time. Also any damage to a sill from an inadvertant ding will complicate repair with any permanent fixture. I also use the material(Eastwood) behind the large rear tires. I have a white mamba and am as fanatical as you when it comes to paint chips.

OP
OP
B

BishopTx

Viper Owner
Reaction score
this stuff?

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=2530&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=film

it doesn't come off due to the heat from the side sills?

How visible it is compared to the ClearBra materials.

The folks locally told me the ClearBra materials could not go on the side sills due to heat -- you guys are obviously saying that's bogus..weird.

At first they were going to do it..and said it would require custom cuts and cost about $900 in addition to the $400 I already paid for the hood, front and mirrors..then they backed off when I asked about the heat issue.

Any more advice from you all is appreciated.

Chris

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Crud to "custom cuts". If they just bought it in bulk, it can be cut on the car. No biggie. I have it on my sidesills and, although it has shrunk a tiny bit at the seams, it doesn't seem to be the worse for wear. However, I will really know once I drive 550 miles to Dallas!

I would not have a Viper without it. Soon as I get my new car, it ain't going nowhere until it gets it's prophylactic.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My clearbra covers the entire side sills, and the panels behind all four wheels, as well as the forward facing portions of the mirrors.

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, that's the Eastwood plastic protector I have on the vehicle. I use in areas that are not noticeable (. If you use under the sills, the heat will cause some bubbling. I have 500 hundred on the car and just took off the sill applications.cleaned and reapplied(new strips). The other ones are still holding in the most vunerable areas. I applied the material to the front area when I drove home from the purchasing dealer about one hundred miles and then took it off. Areas of application are not visible in my case.

homesite

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That Eastwood plastic protector is the same exact stuff as clear bra uses.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte