How can I idle my 97 GTS up just a hair?

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The little painted screw just angers the coumputer and creates idle hang when I screw it in , so I set it back to stock. the set screws at the base of the throttle bodies would likely do they same. My car idles fine untill I run the A/C , then it surges down a tad too low when I stop at a light with the clutch in. It will almost die or will die every once in a while while running the AC. I did the new battery thing and may slap in a new 02 sensor if that will help. I have the Mopar Perf. computer. ?????????????????

Rollin4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the same problem,idles great until i come to a stop with the clutch in.The idle drops low or dies.

Remove your air box to gain access to the throttle bodies. Remove the Idle Control Motor and clean the Throttle bodies and IAC of carbon build up. When removing the Idle Air Control, be careful not to damage gasket that attaches it to block or loose the O ring that is inside. Use throttle body
cleaner and replace. Should take care of your dieing problem.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
If the iac and other items are ok consider there are
Lots of old posts noting how the mopar performance ecu would bring a lower idle. ~250 on the early gen 2 and ~400 rpm lower on the newer gen 2 cars (the newer ones had higher stock idle speed). A slower idle combined with your lopey '97 cam... well....

try a search on the words

idle ecu lower

I think you want the electronics to control the idle speed, not the mecchanical screw. Jason has the ecu-reprogram that can change the idle speed, what temps the fans come on, etc. and can flash the mpp ecu also.