How can I sell my car safely? I'm thinking about the payment..

Falconeer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How can I sell my car safely? I\'m thinking about the payment..

Hi all..

My GTS is for sale and I already have a couple of individuals who are very interested and stopping by to check the car out. What are your guys experiences regarding the payments when you sold a Viper yourself? I'm thinking about what kind of payment you preferred to be sure not to be tricked.

Any info is appreciated!

Thanks,
Erik

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Re: How can I sell my car safely? I\'m thinking about the payment..

Do the actual transaction in a bank- Its secure, lots of cameras. Use a certified cashier's check, that the bank verifies as legit while you and the buyer are there. If this is not possible, then just wait for the funds to clear. Then and only then, sign the title over. If that don't work, hunt them down and kill them.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Cash is king! When I sold my 96, he brought cash in a Wal-mart bag, no ****. :eek: :eek:

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I went to buy a BMW M6, very low mi, in PA. Seller refused for me to bring cash and said cashier's check was fine. I fly into Pa and we went to the bank to notarize title and he asks the clerk if the cashiers could be faked and the clerk answers it was possible but not probable. Long story short, seller refused to accept the cashier's check. It was a Saturday and of course, my bank was closed. Seller finally let me take the car, he kept the title till the cashier's check cleared, and sent me the title several weeks later. I wanted the kill the seller by the time I left. Never will do this again.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Have the funds wired directly into your account. When your person at the bank says they have been successfully transfered, you are good to go.

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Go for the wire transfer, especially if the person is not local. Its guaranteed and you don't have to worry about phony documents. I sold my 94 R/T a few years back and the guy wired the money directly into my account. It might cost you $10-$15, but its worth the piece of mind.

2001ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It works a lot easier if you use a bank that's national. When I sold the Prowler the buyer flew in and I picked him up at the airport and we went straight to his bank (Bank of America) and had them issue me the cashier's check. Then we went to my bank and deposited it. I felt safe since the check was issued straight from his bank right in front of me... everything worked out fine.

SNAKE BITE

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Yes, as stated wire transfer is the best way to do it. I have made many transactions like this.

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wire transfer,all the way. I bought two, and sold one that way, and it is the safest way. On my '98 I bought in Buffalo, I showed up at the seller's house first thing in the morning. After checking out the car (it had been previously inspected and approved by a Viper Tech), we signed a contract, I initiated the wire to his account, then we went out and had a leisurely breakfast, and when we returned to his home, he called his bank, verified that the money was in his account, and signed over the title. I then loaded the car on my trailer, and headed home. Couldn't have been smoother. The only down side was that when we hit the NY Thruway (this was on April 1), it started snowing and sleeting like crazy. The car had only 1200 miles on it, during my first 30 minutes of ownership it got pounded by more rain, sleet, and snow, then the past 4 years under the previous owner.

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Cash is king! When I sold my 96, he brought cash in a Wal-mart bag, no ****. :eek: :eek:

Cash is great, as long as it isn't counterfeit.

Do the in-the-bank deal. That's the safest.

Matthew Klinger

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I bought and sold a car over the internet, I had the same concerns you did, esp when the $$ was being transfered. When I sold my car, I had the buyer wire me the $$, I called the bank and they reasured me that it was there and could only be touched by me. I then signed and notaried the title and overnighted it to him. When buying a car, a bank check was good enough for the seller. He had a lean on the car so I had to wait til he recieved the title, but the car was registared in my name and there was a paper trail so I wasn't to concerned

Bottom line is, listen to the person you are dealing with. Both men I dealt with were straight with me and I was likewise. If its too good to be true it probably is.

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

As the seller, wire transfer is great. But the buyer won't want to transfer the funds until the deal is closed and the title is signed off.

A cashier's or bank check is fine. Just have the buyer get the check before the sale completes, and call you with the check number and bank details. You can call the bank and verify that the check is real, and that the buyer can't stop payment on the check without having possession of the check. You give the buyer the signed title, and he gives you the check at the time of the deal.

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Cash is great, as long as it isn't counterfeit.

Do the in-the-bank deal. That's the safest.

Yep, I had both. Buyer payed with cash. We met at the bank, had a teller recount, check, and deposit it and then I signed over the title. Actually went very smoothly.

OP
OP
F

Falconeer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for all the replys!

You can never be too carefull about something like this.

Erik

bth1

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I just sold a classic car for 25k cash. I was sitting in a parking lot at 7sm counting the money. I then paid for my Viper in cash. No problems.

I wanted to go the Wire transfer route but the buyer was afraid to take out more than 7k from his account at a time because it can supposedly be reported. Similarly I have been told that deposits of over a certain dollar figure that can also be reported.

One thing if you go the wire transfer route, you may want to set up a separate account just for the wire transfer. That way you do not have to give out an account number that you use frequently. Then you can close the account down

Got_Vnum

Viper Owner
Reaction score

As long as you are dealing with a Nigerian buyer who will send you a chasiers check for more than the sale amount then have you send back the difference Western Union, you are GOLDEN! :p

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte