How common is engine replacement? 1993-94 RT/10?

cayenne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all,
From my research on the forum here...I've learned that the head gaskets were a problem on many of the early RT/10's.
I've also seen a number of these used cars saying they have had the engine replaced....did Dodge replace many entire engines on these models for this reason or others?

I've got my eye on a '94 not far from me...car has 11K on it, and dealer says engine only has 3K on it....so, I'm wondering why an engine replacement? Is this common or should it raise a red flag for me?

Also, passenger side pipe is slightly banged up....how much, ballpark, would this cost to repair? Trying to figure out a good price to offer on this car.

Other things I saw on the car...the carpet on drivers door appears very 'fuzzed' out...but, passenger side looks pretty new. Is this common with use?

When you open the drivers door, on the doorjam part of the dash...there is a 2-3 inch crack in the dash....is there a problem with dash cracking? How much would ya'll guestimate that this would take to repair.

I drove the car...first viper I've driven...man, talk about fun. I think this car has set for awhile...it did on occasion give off small backfire till it got warmed up. Is this common or a danger sign?

Thanks in advance!!

cayenne

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The engine in my 94 was replaced under an extended warranty while the original owner had the car. That was at 95k miles and it was due to head gasket failure.
I don't know the details of exactly why they didn't just replace the gaskets.

The car you are talking about sounds like a "driver". The small items you speak of sound like a car with many more miles than 11k.

Without knowing any more about it other than what you have said, I'd say it should be selling for 29k or less.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine has 35,000 miles and none of what you said is common on mine. No engine replacement, no head gaskets, no fuzz, no cracks and no muss. Now, the backfires you speak of, if they occur during deceleration it is a common effect and not indicative of an issue. If it happens under power then something is wrong. Don't take a lumpy idle as backfire, which all Vipers have a lumpy idle.

OP
OP
C

cayenne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The engine in my 94 was replaced under an extended warranty while the original owner had the car. That was at 95k miles and it was due to head gasket failure.
I don't know the details of exactly why they didn't just replace the gaskets.

The car you are talking about sounds like a "driver". The small items you speak of sound like a car with many more miles than 11k.

Without knowing any more about it other than what you have said, I'd say it should be selling for 29k or less.

That's cool....I offered him just over $29K....
I'm sure he won't take it immediately, but, with the market we have here for high perfomance cars (not that great) in southern LA....I'll bide my time. I'm still looking around the country, but, would be so much easier to get one close to home. Closest vipers for sale I've found to me are about 720 miles. Most are over 1K miles away, and would have to go through the hassle of independent inspectors...airplane tix...BUT, the drive home would be fun.... :)

I gotta get the hard top for this thing tho....I live in New Orleans...no covered parking...and LOTS of rain...

I'll also get a full car cover for when not out....anyone got links/recommendations on a good cover for a RT/10?

tia,

cayenne

XS TORQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cayenne,
I have not heard of many engine "replacements", but many were sent back to Arrow (who build the engines for Dodge) for head gasket replacement. While they had them, they would basically do a complete rebuild. Many of the head gaskets failed for 1 (or both) of 2 reasons. First, the original gaskets were not very good. Second, some of them have issues w/ the cylinder liner "creeping" and messing up the gasket (caused by item #1?).
Anyway, everyone I have spoken with that had their engine sent to Arrow got an even stronger car when all was complete.
The dash crack - that's the first I've heard. Is it where the screw holes are? I guess I could see that happening. You can buy a replacement dash for a few hundred $$. I just had the dash in my 94 painted flat black w/ flat clear. It really looks nice!
I have seen the "fuzzed out" carpet before. Many people just "give it a haircut" (or burn it, but that could be hazardous!). That is common.
An 11,000 mile Viper for $29k or so sounds like a SMOKIN deal to me. Sounds like a great time to be in the market for a used Viper!
Feel free to email me or PM me if you have any specific questions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery