How do 18" BFG drag radials hook on the street?

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do 18\" BFG drag radials hook on the street?

I'm looking for some more traction, and I've read a lot of good things about the new BFG 18" 345/30/18 drag radial, but most of the reports seem to come from track use at well under 20 psi tire pressure. My question is how much do they improve traction over Pilots at a streetable (28-32?) tire pressure?

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: How do 18\" BFG drag radials hook on the street?

I've got them in 17" on extra rims for the strip. I've driven them on the street and they hook up great, even with nitrous. They corner badly, to the point it is more a straight line car. The Kumhos are probably a better dual use tire.

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: How do 18

I've got them on my DLM car. I like them a lot. A little wheelspin in the cooler weather but DEFINITELY better than stock!!! It gave me the edge over the race with the zo6 :laugh: . They don't corner too well though :p .

-Lou

OP
OP
R

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Which Kumho are you talking about, and does it come in 18 or only 17?

Lou, I'd say that 800+ hp gave you a little edge too! :)

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ronnie,

If your looking to use these tires mostly for street purposes, I'd recommend the Kumho V700. Unfortunately, looking at the TireRack catalog, the largest is in 17" and your Viper is on 18's. For your car I'd recommend the BFG or the Hoosier R3SO3. Give me a buzz when you get a spare moment.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you drive your car in the rain at all you will poop your pants with the drag radials :eek: For a kick A$$ street tire that outgrips,outhandles and outlasts the Khumos check out the michelin pilot cups. Expensive but well worth it, they also come in 345s on 18" rim ;)

OP
OP
R

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't drive in the rain, so that's not a problem. The real problem (and the reason I don't already have the BFG's) is that I've got 19" wheels and I hate to give them up. :(

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you drive your car in the rain at all you will poop your pants with the drag radials :eek: For a kick A$$ street tire that outgrips,outhandles and outlasts the Khumos check out the michelin pilot cups. Expensive but well worth it, they also come in 345s on 18" rim ;)

Did you get these on yet???

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've got them in 17" on extra rims for the strip. I've driven them on the street and they hook up great, even with nitrous. They corner badly, to the point it is more a straight line car. The Kumhos are probably a better dual use tire.

Did you mount them using 10" front wheels?

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I just put them on the back and kept stock front tires. Bad move?

8AVETTE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have the front and rears on my ACR. They are two months old and have 700 miles on them and are now ready for the trash. My DLM level 3 of only about 3 weeks have destroyed them in 3rd gear. Thanks Doug, Ha Ha.But I must say they are much better than stock.

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

they drive just fine and hook damn good if psi is right. only question i wonder is how many street miles are they good for???

TomMiriViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have the front and rears on my ACR. They are two months old and have 700 miles on them and are now ready for the trash. My DLM level 3 of only about 3 weeks have destroyed them in 3rd gear. Thanks Doug, Ha Ha.But I must say they are much better than stock.
:eek: you poor soul :laugh:

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Spinning BFG's in 3rd gear??? :eek: :eek: lol you need slicks to drive that on the street. :cool:

Max

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sun Diego,
I guess my question is what size are you running and on what size wheels. The largest size I see the 17" coming in is 315 which is too small for a 13" rim and too big for a 10" rim. The next size is 275 which would fit fine on the front 10" rims used on the rear. The 18" come in 345 which is about perfect for 13" rims.

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have 315 on the back 13", and 285 Michelins on the front 10". What is a better rear tire for the 13" for the drag strip?

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't think there is one. The Nitto 555R comes in the same sizes. I had heard that the 13" rears were too wide to mount 315's on but am glad to hear that they are working for you. I may try that set up also.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I had my 17" BFGs on front 10" rims, a friend had his on rear 13" rims. Didn't seem to make any difference when we were both at the strip together. Doesn't seem like anything to worry about..

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Keep the Nitto's on the 10" wheels. Logical points to a sealing and safety issue on 13" wheels.