how do does your stock gen II run?

BullRider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just finished a ROE install with a 160 degree t'stat, but prior to that, I ran at around 200 consistently, even in the hot weather here in South Florida. I'd say that 210 is pretty normal though. If I remember correctly the service manual shows that the fans don't even kick in until 210 degrees.

I wouldn't worry too much unless you climb higher than 220 on a regular basis.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Normal on mine here in Texas and I have a 180 degree stat. Which here in Texas seems to do very little for keeping the car cooler sitting at a traffic light when it's 110 out.

OP
OP
M

mdurbahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I will try to burp it. What temp is the hash mark before 240? When I cruise in 5th and 6th its around 190 but if I am in stop and go or cruise at 4th or something it bounces between 190 and that hash mark.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
What year Viper, mdurbahn??

Not a 2001 by chance??...or 96-98?

Is coolant level OK?
Is oil level OK and normal looking?
Is heater working?

OP
OP
M

mdurbahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What year Viper, mdurbahn??

Not a 2001 by chance??...or 96-98?

Is coolant level OK?
Is oil level OK and normal looking?
Is heater working?

96. Oil is new, looks good. Heater and coolant level are ok, so I am going to flush it today and put in a new t stat if I can find that cooler one at the parts store.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks...you know, as long as you in the area changing the T-stat...some would recommend changing the timing chain cover gasket.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so what does it mean if the heat inst hot?

It could mean you don't have the controls set right, or that the control valve isn't functioning. Maybe even the vacuum operated duct system is malfunctioning. Also the chance there is no coolant flow through the core but you'd be surprised how many people don't know how to operate their heaters. ;)

OP
OP
M

mdurbahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ah ok, I checked after I had my new fluid in and the heater does work well. If it is nice today I am going to see if the flush changed the operating temp at all. Everything that came out looked new and clean still.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a normal temp reading on those totally inaccurate gauges.

mach4444

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am here in naples and mine does the same thing. if I am hopping on it in the lower gears it will go up to 220 hash mark or so but given the chance it will drop back down.
cruisning in 5th or 6th hovers around 190 no matter how hot it is outside.