How do I figure out if my brake rotors need to be turned/machined or not??

gthomas

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peoples Democratic Republic of New Jersey
I have always turned the rotors as part of a brake job. Measure them first(at the shop) to make sure they are not too far gone.
If you have to ask that question, ask a friend to go over and help/show you.
In a nutshell, the assembly with thr pistons will be held on by a couple of bolts. Then remove center cap, bearing, etc..

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: How do I figure out if my brake rotors need to be turned/machined or no

You do not have to remove anything but pads in order to get the rotors off the front!! The rear is even easier, however there is a trick to replacing the rear pads and rotors. It's a piece of cake. I can change front pads and rotors in under 30 mins. That includes jacking and removing wheels!
PM me if you need some advice. Do not remove the wheel hub from the spindle. There is no need to. There are onlt two bolts holding calipers in place, but they don't need to be removed if you know what you're doing.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

SF, you might want to buy a service manual. Not too much on the car is really tricky, but a few things will be easier with directions and a picture or two. They seem to be on eBay a lot.

You don't remove any bearings whatsoever to replace pads or rotors.

Once the pads are removed, the rear brake caliper is mounted on pin slides, so the caliper moves in and out relative to the car. This lets you get the rotor off without removing the caliper.

The front caliper is bolted directly to the knuckle and does not move. Even with pads removed, I don't think there's enough wiggle room to get the rotors out. You have to take out the two bolts holding the caliper (don't have to disconnect hydraulic line.) Maybe my studs are longer (!!) or Tracy can give me the hint I need here.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Call me! So much easier than punching a keyboard!
You also have PM.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I do not believe the rotors need to be resurfaced every time the pads are changed...otherwise I would go through a set of rotors every track weekend and that's not the case.

This is on my track car of course and this might not be true of a street car with 20,000 or 30,000 mi. on a set of pads.

Nevertheless, I have had shops automatically turn the rotors on the family cars when replacing pads and so every third brake pad change you need a new set of rotors.

Certainly if there are uneven brake pad deposits from improper bed-in or improper pad selection this may be necessary, but definitely not routinely IMO.

gthomas

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peoples Democratic Republic of New Jersey

I forgot to disclose that I personally haven't work on a car since 1991, and that was the way I remember it. Nor have I waxed a car since 1995, or taken a tire off since 1996.
Yeah, I'm referring to normal wear.

Reaction score

SF Your Region is Northern California, Welcome!

Come to the BAMF and Viper Days. Three days(this Fri. Sat. and Sun.) of open track at Thunderhill with complete track side service and support(oil changes tires for sale with changes, brake pads installed, total brake system installation, etc). No rotor resurfacing that I know. I do not consider resurfacing as an option for performance cars. Brake rotors get warped and resurfacing is a way to get a flat surface but the rotor is then thinner and will warp faster with less material. If the rotors are warped get new ones.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just so long as we understand that rotor "warping" is not really "warping" but a non-smooth surface that results from uneven brake pad material deposition from the reasons I mentioned above.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score

SF Final 286,

Were you at infineon today running you final edition?

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

SF,
You can resurface your rotors, I've cut mine several times. Since I have a machine shop I can control the amount of material removed. Most of the time it takes .005-.010 off each side. The rotors can warp, but most of the time the bounce you feel in the peddle is from build up of brake pad material. If you come up to Viper Days this weekend, look me up. I will have a Silver Panoz race car. If you do not want to track your car, you will at least have a nice drive to and from the track.
If you can make it up, You will see cars up on jacks being worked on. This is a great place to see all kinds of mod's. :cool:

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Depends on the level of scoring, as warpage isn't that common that I'm aware of (depends on the level of track time and if you can brake like Rich Bontempi, and even he replaces his rotors due to stress cracks rather than turn them).

Over 60,000 miles on my old '95 RT/10 and never once had to resurface the rotors (including numerous autocross and track days). When the stock pads wore out, I replaced them with Porterfield street pads, then when those wore out, I replaced those with EBC Greens (which are my favorite for street and autocross). Never had any problems; the rotors were indeed slightly scored and were probably approaching where they needed to be turned.

So, sure, you can turn/resurface them (according to the shop manual), but, you likely don't need to do it unless you have some severe scoring or warpage that is adversly affecting your braking or braking feel.

OP
OP
S

SF Final 286

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Thanks for everyone's input. I decided not to machine the rotors and just put the BM3's on. The pads worked great and no squealing either!

However, I did not change the rear pads cuz I couldn't figure out how to remove them.
Can anyone tell me how to remove them? I did not see any pins holding them in. I know they are different from the fronts and from non ABS cars. The fronts were really easy thanks to Tracy's explaination over the phone. He did a great job talking me through it.

Hey Randy I probably don't brake like Bontempi does, but I try! Where has Bontempi been, he used to come to our CFRA track events all the time but I have not seen him in over a year.

Yes GTSR-001, I was at Sear Point Tuesday. Were you there?
That was my 1st time there. Was running a little cautious. Lap times 2:06 range.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Hey Randy I probably don't brake like Bontempi does, but I try! Where has Bontempi been, he used to come to our CFRA track events all the time but I have not seen him in over a year.

I tried to talk him into coming with me to the CFRA event at Sears Point last November, and he never showed. I know that part of it is because he wants to run his SRT, yet doesn't want to put a roll bar on it, which CFRA requires for his run group (as it should). However, he still has his stock '96 GTS which is what he was beating everyone with, so I don't know why he doesn't go.

Yes GTSR-001, I was at Sear Point Tuesday. Were you there?
That was my 1st time there. Was running a little cautious. Lap times 2:06 range.

So, we have four Vipers in CFRA now?

2:06 cautious? Hell, I spun the car at CFRA last November at turn 4 on my FIRST lap (and I thought I *was* being careful on the cold tires and dew-covered track, and all that); I was only doing 35 or so - but the 5-year old unused Hoosiers I had on the rear seemed to not grip like I was used to, at least from when I did a 1:45 at Laguna Seca. I was spooked for the rest of the day, and never got under 2:12 according to my hot lap timer. I felt like I made us look bad that day (another reason I wanted Bontempi there) - glad someone else is out there to defend our honor.

Anyone know what the shelf life of Hoosiers are? I'm guessing 5 years under my house wasn't a good thing?

OP
OP
S

SF Final 286

Viper Owner
Reaction score

hey randy,
have we ever met before?
I don't remember seeing any black vipers.
I know of only Bontempi (blue/wht GTS) and Mike Saal (yellow GTS).

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score

hey randy,
have we ever met before?
I don't remember seeing any black vipers.
I know of only Bontempi (blue/wht GTS) and Mike Saal (yellow GTS).

Perhaps not - sent you an email.