How do I get the old shifter off???

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just bought a new shift knob. How in the world does the old one come off? I put two wrenches on it and twisted until I hurt, but it didin't budge. I was afraid I would break something like the linkage or inside the gearbox! Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Andy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Push the leather boot down far enough that you can see the shifter's nut, and one below it. The trick is to lower the nut below the shifter (really tightening it down). You don't have to move it very far. Just a quarter turn or so. That allows you to just unscrew your shifter. Screw the new shifter down, and now you will need the 2nd wrench to hold the shifter from turning while you tighten the bottom nut to secure the new shifter.

OP
OP
V

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! I'll try again tonight. I hate wheaties, they taste like sos maxipads. Now if I put some locktite on the wheaties first...

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're ever up in Durham, NC, I'll show you :) What's even harder than removing the knob is removing the shifter itself.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
...have a 17mm open end wrench and a separate 19mm open end wrench ready...and take care NOT to hit yourself in the face or head as you apply the power!!! (it has happened before)

OP
OP
V

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did it. I went home for lunch and decided it was worth another try. Just like the above advice (weasel piss nuts!) it came loose without any drama this time. I may now have either the coolest shifter out there or the tackiest. I found a chrome snake head (let's call it a Viper instead of a Cobra) that has red LED eyes! Hissssssss

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So said Viperfreak2

I may now have either the coolest shifter out there or the tackiest. I found a chrome snake head (let's call it a Viper instead of a Cobra) that has red LED eyes! Hissssssss

Oh, hell no...You cannot simply throw something like this out there, without a pic...POST IT UP!

OP
OP
V

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pictures? I'd love to.....I'll get my Viao out tonight and then someone will have to explain the process to post it here (again)

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did it. I went home for lunch and decided it was worth another try. Just like the above advice (weasel piss nuts!) it came loose without any drama this time. I may now have either the coolest shifter out there or the tackiest. I found a chrome snake head (let's call it a Viper instead of a Cobra) that has red LED eyes! Hissssssss

Heh-heh. Sounds quite fun. I want to see pics, too!

You must be registered for see images

MrYo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just took mine off last weekend. It didn't take too much twisting to remove it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang