How do I mount my Valentine?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just saw this message. Is it now illegal to use suction cup mounts for radar detectors in Cal.

"NOTICE TO DRIVERS IN CALIFORNIA AND MINNESOTA: State law prohibits drivers in California and Minnesota from using suction mounts on their windshields while operating motor vehicles. Other state or local laws may also prohibit drivers from using suction cups on their windshields. (See California Vehicle Code Section 26708(a); Minnesota Statutes 2005, Section 169.71)"

This is news to me.
:curse:

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah...but I see people doing it all the time. Just quickly remove it if you get pulled over. The same warning came with my GPS system, but I still use it anyways.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How do you mount it?

Well, first you sneak up behind it, then you say some nice things to it....

:cool:

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just saw this message. Is it now illegal to use suction cup mounts for radar detectors in Cal. [...] (See California Vehicle Code Section 26708(a);[...]"
Yeah, looked it up, and that is indeed what it seems to say - here's the full text in case anyone cares: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate?WAISdocID=4543248694+0+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve

So, I guess I'll see about making brackets that attach to the rearview mirror or perhaps the visor mount - but it sounds like it may be hard to not also run afoul of the "obstructs vision" portion, mention in section (a)(2).

For that matter, I use the suction cup mount in the Durango, mounted above the rear-view mirror also. I guess its bracket-making time...

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No front plate right, any tickets? [******] it!
Yeah, but its always best to know what laws you might be bending. Let me see, no front plate, clear side markers, HID headlights, and now anything mounted to the windshield.

For that matter, leaving ANY radar detector in sight when/if you get pulled over is just asking for it - it will reportedly reduce your chance for a mere warning with most officers, and make it more likely that you *will* get a ticket for whatever made them pull you over.

sshorty

Enthusiast
Reaction score
get the remote unit and mount that by your rear view mirror and then put the detector wherever you want it....or hardwire the unit somewhere up on the windshield without suction cups....maybe mount the whole unit by the rearview...but your best bet is the remote unit.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
get the remote unit and mount that by your rear view mirror and then put the detector wherever you want it....or hardwire the unit somewhere up on the windshield without suction cups....maybe mount the whole unit by the rearview...but your best bet is the remote unit.
I've already got the remote units for both of my Valentines - but I put the remote unit on top side of the steering column for two reasons: 1) it puts the live display near my line-of-sight next to the speedo and 2) it gets the lit-up display out of view of other people (RT/10, top off, don't want to advertise the detector).

You want the main unit/antenna as high as possible, as I've always mounted it above the rear-view mirror, using the suction cup mount. I'm going to keep that location, but change from using the suction cup to something else that attaches elsewhere.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinhyVegas