How do you do a 180 degree burnout

Mike_W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was wondering how you drive really fast, then suddenly slam on the breaks in the middle of the road and do a 180 degree flip in direction while smoking your tires at the same time and not crashing. I have seen this done in movies.

Hopefully Joe117 knows the answer.

Thanks,
Mike

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's no way you're gonna learn how to do that by someone posting intructions on the internet. Just so happens there's an excellent driving school down there in SoCal where you can learn forward 180's, reverse 180's, sliding 90's, etc.
They train most of the Hollywood stunt dirvers. Do yourself a favor and go through an actual course instead of an internet course. Obviously these stunts are for CLOSED ROADWAYS.

Bobby Ore Motorsports

If you're out trolling to get a rise out of Joe then disregard all of the above. :D

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You probably think I'm going to say something bad about the maneuver you describe.
Surprise.....
Unlike the burnout while standing still, the 180 maneuver would have some value.

It would be very cool to be able to do the smoking 180 in a Viper.

The stationary burnout in a Viper is stupid.

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The stationary burnout in a Viper is stupid.

The stationary burnout in any car is stupid, just another form of ************.

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You're probably going to laugh but get a good race game. You can learn a lot about how to do stuff like that. Need for Speed Porsche Unleased is a good one. Things work differently in the real world but the game is a good place to start learning. I wouldn't go out and try it in a Viper though, start with something a little cheaper.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me say one thing about stupid burnouts.

The history of burnouts, I believe, begins at the drag strip.
In days gone by, at the drags, powerful cars with slicks, would burnout with a splash of liquid, in order to clean the tires.

This pre-race procedure became a crowd pleaser. It was extended and hyped in much the way wrestlers scowl at the pre fight interview.

Soon, everyone was doing burnouts before a drag strip run.

And of course that wasn't a really bad idea. A car at the drags may very well gain by cleaning and heating the tires.

So, doing a burnout as a pre race prep, is not a stupid idea.

The drag strip burnout was soon taken up by the street crowd. "Hey, I can do that too".
Soon, kids were having contests to see who could do the longest burnout.

Tell me, how long will your Viper spin the tires? Mine will do it as long as I want it to. The only limits are how long before the tires actually come apart.
Doing that proves what????
Does anyone really need to show off that ability?

Doing a parking lot burnout in a Viper, just because people want to see it, is stupid.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a good one on video of me in the GTS, part of a long video though, how do you snip a 5 second piece out of a longer video?

If you stab the throttle to WOT from a cruising speed and break them loose then cut the wheel it will swing around 180 with practice. No brake at all. Fun stuff, I'm into things like that. Anyone that can say rolling backwards with smoke pouring out of the wheelwells while WOT in a forward gear is not fun should try it first, fun stuff!

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you sure you're not thinking of going in reverse really fast, doing a 180, then going forward? Doing a 180 going forward is not a problem at a stand-still or lower speeds (25MPH or under). Push the clutch in, apply the gas, dump the clutch, turn the wheel. But to do a 180 (going forward) at high speed (say 60 MPH+) seems impossible at least until you slow the car down some by braking, then applying the technique above. Just whipping the car around at 60+MPH 180 degrees is going to keep the car going in that same direction. You will be pointed forward and your car will still be going backward at 60+MPH, at least until you get traction. Not saying it can't be done, but that has to be EXTREMELY ******* the drivetrain. You did say high speed, so I'm thinking at least 60MPH.

That being said, I did see a Cart race at Mid-Ohio where the winner whipped the car 180 degrees at 60+ on the straight, and his car was going backwards with the tires smoking (turning forward) until he got traction. Did look sweet, but I'm not sure if that what Mike W. is talking about this manuver.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
180 burnouts, smoke the tires while staying in one place......

Didn't you say in another post that you crashed a Lexus?

Getting ready for a tryout with Joie Chitwood?????

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: How do you do a 180 degree burnout

394burnout_3_v1-med.jpg

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

posting pics is a freeeeeekin' mess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
***!!!!!!!!!!
is anybody gonna fix the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score

posting pics is a freeeeeekin' mess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
***!!!!!!!!!!
is anybody gonna fix the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I took out the "-med". Sometimes it works with it sometimes it doesn't. :confused:

394burnout_3_v1.jpg

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score

"I've got a good one on video of me in the GTS, part of a long video though, how do you snip a 5 second piece out of a longer video?"

Try Microsoft Movie Maker if you can find it on your comp. e-mail me if you need detailed instructions

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
two words, emergency brake.
It's interesting that in all these posts, only "dansauto" seems to know how to do a 180 at cruising speeds. Come on drivers, wake up.

As he said, it's done by locking up the rear brakes with the emergency/hand brake. That said, select a smooth road with a good run-off area for mistakes. Begin your first attempt at 30mph and as you progress increase your speed by 5mph until you reach your level of comfort.

- Get up to cruising speed.
- Get off the gas, depress the clutch and yank the emergency/hand brake.
- Turn the wheel to left/right to generate slide to the right/left respectively.
- Shift into 1st gear
- As the car nears a 180, release the emergency brake, center the steering wheel, release the clutch and accelerate.

Enjoy and don't crash! I suggest you try the slide first and then move on to 180 degree reversal of direction. It's hard to explain the above but you'll get the hang of it soon enough. Take care not to try this on a bumpy road since it can induce a rollover.

-Avi

wheatgerm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can use Kazaa and download "Viper burnouts" and a few will come up.

Possibly even GenXes's, i saw one with same color combo as his car before.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh sure, I know about the emergency brake manuver.... I just figured no one would want to flat spot $500+ worth of tires.... Not to mention, "you drive really fast" vs. "cruising speed" are totally different, IMO. One is 90+ MPH and the other is 20 - 30 +/- MPH.

If you slam the parking brake on at "really fast" speeds, God be with you..... Cruising speeds are no big deal, just be ready to buy new rears...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21