How do you identify build order?

2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know that you can see the date the car was built from the door jam tag. And I know that the sequence number does not show the order the cars were built. My question is: Is there another way to know what number car you have?

This mainly has to do with a 96 GTS. Is there a way to know which number it was off the assembly line?

Bill

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In 96 the VIN#'s were sequenced. The last digits in your VIN is your build number [1-1166]. When DC started to build the Prowler's they put their VIN's in the mix and we lost track of the builds. I'm sure there's a way to find out about them?

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
The 1996 VINs, while sequencial, aren't necessarily in build order. Because CAAP assigns VINs after a batch of cars are produced, the number a car gets can be several places off - especially if gets exported.

Unfortuantly the only true way to discover your car's build order would be to collect the build date off of every 96 GTS and compare. There are hopes the IVR will eventually reach that level of tracking though I haven't hear of any recent progress lately.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
The 1996 VINs, while sequencial, aren't necessarily in build order. Because CAAP assigns VINs after a batch of cars are produced, the number a car gets can be several places off - especially if gets exported, or there is an export in the batch.

Unfortuantly the only true way to discover your car's build order would be to collect the build date off of every 96 GTS and compare. There are hopes the IVR will eventually reach that level of tracking though I haven't hear of any recent progress lately.