How do you remove the hood speakers?

viper_man40

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From under the hood you should see round hole openings of about 1/2 to 5/8 and all you have to do is use a deep well socket to reach up in there to on screw the nuts. They are pretty small, 3/8 7/16 maybe, don't remeber. Good luck

2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also be careful when removing and replacing them. Because it is so cramp you can't use your fingers to hold the screws while unscrewing them. I learned this the hard way when one fell while i was trying to get them out. It is now stuck inside the hood, and is vertually impossible to get out.

Bill

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have removed these "speakers" on both my former '96 GTs and my current 2000 GTS to clean underneath.

They were not bolts on mine if memory serves...they were phillips screws....there are three on each.

I used one of those phillips screwdrivers that has the little fingers to hold the screws.

CO GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Four phillips head screws... And I wish I had one of those "phillips screwdrivers that has the little fingers" cause I hear a little rattle every now and again when I raise or lower my hood.
I had to take mine off to clear out dead miller moths that had filled the chamber thru the water drain hole. Geeze!

Sam 01 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Four phillips head screws... And I wish I had one of those "phillips screwdrivers that has the little fingers" cause I hear a little rattle every now and again when I raise or lower my hood.
I had to take mine off to clear out dead miller moths that had filled the chamber thru the water drain hole. Geeze!
Too funny! I have a screw rolling in my hood too!
A screwdriver with a magnetic tip will also work.
:)

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A good strong magnet will help you get that screw out. When you raise the hood and you hear it rattle down to the bottom, just take the magnet (wrapped in a piece of cloth) and run it along the inside bottom of the hood until you feel/hear the screw hook up to the magnet. Then just carefully work it out to one of those drain holes.

Viperbass

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too learned the hard way with a screw falling down into my hood. It took a couple of hours and another dedicated Viper owner with a strong magnet to get it removed. We removed the duct as well to get a better angle. I now apply liberal amounts of masking tape around the screws to isolate them and use a Craftsman screwdriver with a claw attatched to hold the screw while removing and replacing. Also when replacing use a criss cross pattern when tightening down to avoid any uneven torque that could cut into the hood if the rubber gasket slips off.

Good luck.

Bo knows

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I repainted mine a couple of weeks ago, and now I too have a screw rolling around in my hood ! When you repaint make sure you use the proper black. Gloss black paint won't look right on the speakers. I found paint at the local auto store called trim black which has a black satin finish just like the factory color. I've also used a color called 30 percent black with the same results. If you use gloss black they will be too shiny & look like they were repainted . Trim black or satin black will look factory and will match the black molding around the windshield.

Bo knows

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Bill (2002GTS), what Kurt (Viperbass) said brings back BAD MEMORIES...we almost got a couple of different grasping tools stuck in the hood as well.

The reason that we worked so hard to remove the screw was that there exists a slight possibility that the screw could (in time and with vibrations) start to protrude or erode through the thin Viper skin...but, it was a pain to get it out !!!( the funny side was the names that Kurt and I thought to call each other while "happily" working !!!

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey not to hijack this thread but whats the exact name of that black plenum looking thing that the left "hood speaker" flows air into for the A/C ??? I cracked mine any help? thanks.

like i said sorry to hijack but this thread just reminded me.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
OK, STUGOTS-the-hijacker, but I think you mean the "speaker" on the RIGHT side (passenger side)of the car that directs air into the blower...if so, I believe that the cover is called "heater housing" (part number4874 423) and the part that has the rubber edges that mate to the back of the hood "speaker" is called the "PLENUM,Blower Motor Inlet"...(part number 4763 858AC) per a 2000 Parts Catalog. Price on line for PLENUM/Blower is $252 list...may get it for $213.00. This may help you get started.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missjazzyfitness