How do you take your door apart?

1200hpv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hows it going. . . i have a 96 Viper GTS coupe and recently my window ( i believe) came off the track. The motor still makes the noise of going up and down but the window will not move up. . . . just down. I was looking into taking the door apart myself and re-setting the window with the regulator and what not. Just not sure where to begin with taking the door apart . . . dont want to ruin some plastic pieces. If anyone has any advice on where to start that would be great. Thanks

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take the speaker out. There are 2 screws behind it.
There is a screw up by the hinge. May be concealed by carpet fuzz if you have carpet fuzz on door panels that year.
There is a screw underneath by the door latch opposite the hinge end. See fuzz note above.
Trying to remember... there will be screws in the latch handle area by the mirror, and then maybe one in the jamb up high opposite the hinge end. Just scour for them; the only hidden ones are behind the speakers and carpet fuzz as pointed out.
There is a pop in xmas tree type fastener behind the panel that you will need to pull the panel away from the door to release. You can see it at the top of this pic.
Once the panel is loose it will still be attached by the weather stripping along the window. Gently lift and wiggle to work it free, but don't go too far; there are wires still attached for the speakers and latch. Undo those and you are free. See second pic and you can see the wires dangling.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SOUNDS LIKE A BROKEN WINDOW SHUTTLE TO ME!

Do not run the motor any more as you may damage the winding wires which pull the window shuttle up and down :(

Do a search for Window regulator shuttle, there are many threads, also a guide in the How Tos section.

You have a PM :)

Last edited:
OP
OP

1200hpv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool, thank you, i havent moved the window up and down at all since it happened. Just tried to figure out if i needed a new switch/motor/ or whatever. Thanks again