How do you tie down a Gen 3 or 4 for safe trailering?

dwhitt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a Sloan Kwik Load 18 ft trailer but the last car I trailered was my '02 GTS and have now forgotten exactly how I tied that car down. I do remember we used to use 4 loops for the tie down ratchet straps to attach to. Really looking for the basic Do's and Don'ts so I don't hurt my new Gen 4 suspension. Also, cannot remember if car should be in gear or not when towing? Any help is appreciated. Did not have much luck with the search function.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use R hooks in the front and connect the strap hooks directly to the rear. Note there are slots front and back in the frame rails.

I have the e-brake on when trailering, but off when installing the straps so the car can move as needed.Never had a problem in tieing it down. Pretty straight forward.

viperman303

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Sloan. Always hook up the front first while it's still in the raised position. I cross my straps (with hooks in the elongated slots in the frame of the Viper and then hook the other end to the trailer slot. Then lower the trailer (with car) and hook up the rear in same manner. Not sure about the slots on this new Gen 4 I have.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Sloan Kwik Load 18 ft trailer but the last car I trailered was my '02 GTS and have now forgotten exactly how I tied that car down. I do remember we used to use 4 loops for the tie down ratchet straps to attach to. Really looking for the basic Do's and Don'ts so I don't hurt my new Gen 4 suspension. Also, cannot remember if car should be in gear or not when towing? Any help is appreciated. Did not have much luck with the search function.

I use 4 "R" hooks and 4 10,000 lb. ratchet straps. "R" hooks 2 on the inside front frame rails and 2 on outside rear frame rails, I cross both front and back, NO e-brake, shifter NOT in gear.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what socal said about NO ebrake and NOT in gear. but i absolutely like the chains better than straps. the straps stretch and give the car a chance to slide. chains WONT