How does a muffler-delete system sound?

Steamroller

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a muffler-delete system for my 2001 ACR. I have heard a Corsa cat-back system, and I liked it. How does the muffler-delete system sound/compare? Throatier? Louder? More interior drone? What are the disadvantages, if any, of a muffler-delete system? I realize sound is very subjective, but I would appreciate everyone's input.

Is there anyone in Colorado that has a muffler-delete system on a relatively stock creampuff? If so, I would be interested in checking it out.

CO GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Steamroller,
I have a 2001 GTS with a RandomTech X pipe muffler delete (From Jon B at PartsRack)and I live in Elizabeth CO. Smooth tubes are my only other engine related mod. If you can wait until after 2/14 we could get together so you can hear what it sounds like.

OP
OP
S

Steamroller

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CO GTS... How's it going? You missed a great time when several of us got together for the cruise/lunch last month (Jan). Hopefully, you can join us next time.

Anyway, I will be busy for the week/weekend following 14-Feb, so maybe we could meet in a few weeks. How far are you from the Denver area?

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a small audio/video clip of the rear muffler delete. PM me your email and I will send it to you.

OP
OP
S

Steamroller

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck 98 RT/10... What will the muffler shop do... replace the muffler with straight sections of pipe?

What does it take to remove the muffler? Do any large parts (i.e., the rear bumper) have to be removed? Are there any special tips I should be aware of? I know that exhaust tubing that has been clamped together can sometimes be a challenge to separate.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The rear Muffler delete is about a 1/2hrs work at muffler shop. Stock tips back on. I did it in 2000 for $30 at my local shop. There is no reason to spend hundreds of dollars to accomplish the same sound. All Vipers should have this done. The sound is much improved over stock.

Steve

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck 98 RT/10... What will the muffler shop do... replace the muffler with straight sections of pipe?

Yes, they will cut the rear muffler and replace it with straight, H or X pipes. Look underneath and you will see the muffler sitting right there.

However, some folks prefer the sound of those $1,500 catbacks.

To each his own.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you do not use a crossover, you will notice significantly increased drone, for me to a level I find unacceptable.

If you do use a crossover, you will have less but still more than stock. Nice compromise though.

If you do a Corsa cat back, you will have almost no drone. Other cat backs, can't speak too.

Best value vs. sound, as many have said above muffler delete with crossover.

CO GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Steamroller,
I see you are putting together another cruise/lunch in March. With luck and weather permitting I should be able to make that run. If you do not want to wait until then let me know and we could meet in Castle Rock or Parker which are both midway between Elizabeth and Denver.
I like the RandomTech X pipe for two reasons: I was able to install it myself without dealing with a muffler shop and it allows me to add the rest of the RandomTech catback system in a simple bolt up if I want to. Right now I am happy with the sound of the RandomTech X muffler delete. My wife thinks its too loud and dislikes the drone I get if I run steady at certain RPM's... All I have to do to eliminate the drone is to shift to another gear.
David

OP
OP
S

Steamroller

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperJohn... Thanks for the clip!

What companies make a muffler-delete system that has a crossover?

OP
OP
S

Steamroller

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CO GTS... I will be busy every weekend until the March lunch/cruise. I may just have to wait to hear it until then. Thanks for the offer, though.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperJohn... Thanks for the clip!

What companies make a muffler-delete system that has a crossover?

Your Welcome!

Just have the muffler shop make it. None of the rear muffler deletes I have seen do not have the crossover.

Buy yourself a real nice set of tips and have the muffler weld your tips on.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
.....What companies make a muffler-delete system that has a crossover?

PartsRack has the only one, manufactured by Random Tech. And, it can be upgraded later to a full 3" cat-back.

On-The-Cheap you can just have a muffler shop delete your muffler and salvage the tips, as Chuck says, under $200 likley. back in 1996, there were NO cat-backs avail, so lots of owners did this, me included! Sounds better than stock, but magnifies the drone a bunch

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On-The-Cheap you can just have a muffler shop delete your muffler and salvage the tips, as Chuck says, under $200 likley. back in 1996, there were NO cat-backs avail, so lots of owners did this, me included! Sounds better than stock, but magnifies the drone a bunch

Any muffler shop that charges over a $100 for 2 straight pipes and putting the stock tips back on is ripping you big time. It's a half hour job. I watched the process on our car from start to finish. I had no X or H pipe put in our RT and there was no more drone at all. GTS could be different.

Steve