How Hard Of In Impact To Break Off ACR Wing?

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was looking at Vipers on fleabay and came across a salvaged '09 ACR that sustained a front end impact. Seller claims the airbags did not deploy but the force of the impact caused the wing to break off. Is that possible?? :confused:

You must be registered for see images attach

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know a golf cart hit a parked ACRX at one of the races and knocked it off. I guess if it gets hit just right, it will come off.

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bet the wing was stolen. There is a very orange ACR at the salvage sale right now and the damage had nothing to do with the front splitter or rear wing but both are missing:smirk:

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw that ad as well, I figure that those chips they showed meant the car ended up spinning and maybe the wing was ripped off by whatever hit the drivers' door and drivers' quarter panel....maybe tree limbs?

It's not worth $80k IMHO, heck Tomball is dealing, I'd rather have a new ACR without a salvage history than one with the negative history. I wouldn't pay more than $60k for that ACR repaired as it is. (which means like usual, they'd hang up on the phone on me when I called trying to lowball)

Regards,
Aaron

shine

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No way a front-to-back impact caused that. Perhaps if it spun, and the wing hit something, the lateral force could cause it to break, but still... that would be a lot of force that would evidence itself in other problems also.

Looks like a hack job to me (sawzall), by someone wanting a trophy for their garage or bedroom.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen a photo or two on one of the crash picture web sites, of Vipers with the wign gone after a crash.

I have an ACR wing that was retrieved from a crashed car (no not that one in the picture, mine happens to be orange). Anyway, The drivers side wing mount tabs were broken off. What I did find out though is that the mounts that are riveted to the wing are simply die CAST aluminum.

They are not machined billet or anything even close to that. The trunk mounts are the same way. Die cast aluminum.

Steve A.

I am in the process of reverse engineeering the mounts and will machine a new pair for my wing. there are some extraordinary curves and twists in the surface that actually contacts the wing that are challenging but I am almost there. I will post pics of the finished product.

For Dodge, Die casting is a cheaper alternative for low volume parts.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you look at the forward section of the driver's side mount, you can tell it's not a fracture/shear.
That thing was cut. Poorly and quickly, I might add.

It's on the back of some Civic now.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
V

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen impact damaged stanchions and wing brackets first hand but I assumed it would take a significant impact to break them even though they are made of *** metal. The wing doesn't weight that much afterall.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh there is a picutre! The phone did not show that!!!:omg:

That is not a shear. That is too clean a cut. Looks too smooth. I am also going with cut. If it was a shear for cast aluminum, it would be more jagged and you would see more like little stones and hollow areas.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4