How High Is Your State Property Tax On Your Viper???

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All, I Live In CT And I am paying 1100.00 In property taxes on my 96 Gts this year..Ct is supposedly a hiotty diotty state, does that seem like a lot? how is it in other areas? My sister has a 2500 sq. ft. house in Wilmington N.C. in a fancy hood and pays 1800.00 for the house..Makes no sense...00PROWLER...

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You mean the registration fee??? I pay zero on the viper- I have a purple heart tag and here in Georgia there is no registration fee for it. Just wanted ya to feel jealous. Meant as humor. Also there is no sales tax when selling a vehicle between private parties. All that and we have indoor plumbing! John

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pay $2400 state personal property tax in SOUTH CAROLINA. I lived in Westport CT a while back, and yes it is affluent. SC however has more trailers (they are not mobile homes) than just about anywhere. Oh, and that's on the SRT. The GTS was only $2000!

CajunViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Property tax for 3500 sq. ft. house is $436 a year, My sister is Tax Assessor.
Srt10 reg. is $230 for 4 years.

It's help's when you have the largest oil and gas reserves in the lower 48.

Dean

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maryland charges you a one time 5% when you first get your car registered in the state. It also has to be inspected at that time.
After that, no more inspections, not even smog testing in my county.
The yearly renewal cost of plates is not much, about $70 or less as I recall. It isn't based on the value of the car.

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Arizona - $1,344 on a 2003 SRT-10 for 2003. The annual "lieu tax" goes down each year thereafter to reflect a scheduled depreciation in car value. Car tax very high in AZ, however real property taxes are relatively low at a rate equal to 1% of assessed value, which usually approximates 1/2% of real fair market value.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$378 for SRT and 226 for RT/10. Cost does not go down with the value over time :(

Property tax is something else. About 10k. Thank goodness Uncle Sam pays a slice of that pie (don't forget he pays a slice of the license pie as well).

gthomas

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peoples Democratic Republic of New Jersey
Car taxes are high in states where they dont charge toll on roads or bridges. It sort of balances out.

Florida doesn't consider cars property. At purchase, pay sales tax, then yearly regisration fee(not much). In Jax, we dumped tolls in '88, increased sales tax by .5%. Now at 6.5%(with state). And, NO state income tax.

Prfgdwrnch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
00Prowler,
Connecticut does not have a property tax. Are you referring to the State sales tax paid when you registered the car? A property tax would be paid to the town of Vernon. For a 2000 GTS, the property tax to the town of Monroe was $900.00.

OP
OP

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your Right, I guess it goes to the town, so I should rephrase to how much you pay your town each year...Either way Vernon is connected to Ct which seems to have a high tax rate...00PROWLER

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are a range of fees, which vary by name and by state. It is important to parse all this out to understand what each person is talking about.

It seems there is an initial sales and/or registration tax in most states - 3% in VA or NC.

Then there is a license plate fee in most (if not all) states that runs around $30-$50, depending on state and additional fee for personalization.

Then there is a yearly fee or property tax, which may or may not be based on value, in many states. In NC and VA, these run about $300 for a 98 Viper, and are based on value.

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$1500 paid to the county for 2004 on my 2001 GTS(based on an assesment of 50K). Lived in MD last year, no personal property tax but there is a county tax due with the state tax return which was 75% of the state tax. VA is a better deal for us.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CajunViper,
wow!!
my new build 3600 sq ft
aprox taxes $7,500 per year!!! that includes school taxes but still wow!!
what are your school takes like?

as for the car.. 8% of sale price paid to NYS DMV when registered.
bastages!! car wasnt even bought in this state!!ERRRR!!

OP
OP

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New York is next to Ct and is a very expensive place to live as well..My house taxes are 5300.00 for a 2800 sq. ft. home with 5 bedrooms...makes you want to move..00PROWLER

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess the taxes even out. For a house that size in SC, the tax would be about $1200-1500 per year, while the Viper is DOUBLE! Makes sense? How can Duncan SC have the highest car PPT in the country??? Miami, LA, Fairfield County CT, Hollywood should be higher.

2kviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For Ohio-

just got my personalized plates for my new to me r/t (2000) was 7% of $47,853 price i paid (~$3500 w/ tags, plates, etc.) new tags are BIN BITN That's a one time shot. Now will just pay to renew plate tags, and an e check every other year. don't mind too much, can't take it w/ you....

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
00prowler,
Agreed we need to move south!!!
rotten bastages.. with there tax the crap out of the working stiffs ideas!!!
what the heck.. if you only work to pay taxes; how can you buy anything
to keep everyone working?

if it wasnt for family i would be living in the south......

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte