How Hot is your Temp Running?

byron69

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just curious how hot your Viper is running at what temperature and location.

We average 96 degrees (high) @ 5000ft altitude in Albuquerque NM hit 225 on temp gauge.

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After I had the water pump and thermostat replaced about 2 months ago, it hasn't gone much above 200...and that's with 114 degree temps and the ac on.

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 99 Viper RT/10. I hear everyone on hear talking about 200 for a temp when the car is running. My temp guage looks as follows:

40 - - | - - 80 - - | - - 120

My guage doesn't even go up to 200, am I missing something here?
Anyway, my car ussually runs a little past the 80 mark on the above scale.

G

grcforce327

I have a 99 Viper RT/10. I hear everyone on hear talking about 200 for a temp when the car is running. My temp guage looks as follows:

Post a pic of the gauge you're looking at!

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That can't be your temp gauge, can it?:dunno: I was thinking maybe its your oil pressure gauge, but mine shows 0---40---80. I usually run 55-60 psi when driving and 35 psi at idle since I replaced the oil cooler and lines. As for temp, mine doesnt get above the 3rd hash mark in the center...well, maybe a millimeter or 2 past it sometimes

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pocket, you might have a Canadian car where it would read in C and not F. My bet and 100 C is 212 F. So if you're running 80 C, probably 175 F or so.

OP
OP
B

byron69

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What year is your car? Some of the 2000-2001 cars had defective waterpumps, but really 225 is not uncommon.

1998 GTS
K&N's, smooth tubes, belanger headers, r/t cats, corsa cat-back.

Everyone tells me these cars run hot and it is normal. I believe these cars are not all running hot that is why I posted the question.

We also might benefit from hearing what others have done to keep their cars running cooler.

Any upgrades to make the car run cooler??

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Roe 170 degree Thermostat works WONDERS :D

I'll second that! Our supercharged car runs about a needle width above the little mark downstream from the 3 bold marks in the 190 area. That's in 6th gear, 60-75 MPH, and up to 85-90F. In 6th gear, no matter the temp, and up to 80-85 MPH cruisng speed, it never gets to the first bold mark. Even on the track a few weeks ago at 90F, I didn't get above the first mark after the 3 bold ones. ....Mostly ran between the far right bold mark and the next one up. Before the cool down lap was done, I was back on the bottom of the 3 bold ones.

Steve

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've got a Ron Davis Radiator and a Roe 180 F Thermostat. Even with the weather as hot as it is here in Orlando and the times I do a burst from 50-150mph, it NEVER gets above 200. It just say SUPER cool.

Now, if my headers would stay that cool....

svensk

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi I drive an 01 ACR in Albuquerque with the following mods Roe Fan 180? Thermostat and aluminum radiator. Temps are 190- 200 cruising and maybe 210 in stop and go
Svensk/Huggorm

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just posted this topic. Oops Here is the range that I am running is this normal?
You must be registered for see images

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if I do have a canadian car, how hard is it to change out the temp gauge and replace with a US gauge? The car was imported to the US from what I recall from the copy of the carfax report, I asked the orig owner about it and he said he had no clue. It was imported from a canadian dealership to a US dealership here in the states when new. My gauge definitely does not look like the gauge in the post above....my gauge does read as follows:

40 | | 80 | | 100

what is a safe temp reading for my gauge?

z76232

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's exactly where my 97GTS runs. Phoenix 110 degrees.
Dave

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car runs 195-200F. There is a kit you can buy that track guys in Cali, Texas, etc., use, and it involves cutting a hole in the clip and directing air stream on the bottom of the engine. I hear it works great, but haven't had to use it. I think it runs a couple hundred bucks.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vented cowl,180 deg t-stat,DC computer tune to turn on fans sooner.Usual temp slightly below the left of middle hash mark.Stop and go traffic bring it to the middle mark.Oh acr oil filter adaptor too.(Cooler flows all the time and doesn't cut out at idle) GTS Bruce

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vented cowl,180 deg t-stat,DC computer tune to turn on fans sooner.Usual temp slightly below the left of middle hash mark.Stop and go traffic bring it to the middle mark.Oh acr oil filter adaptor too.(Cooler flows all the time and doesn't cut out at idle) GTS Bruce

can we see a pic of your vented cowl?

97gtsmonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mine never goes over 200 here in florida. even in stop and go traffic. i have a fluidine radiator and the bigger fan with water wetter

mach4444

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2000 RT/10 in SW Florida. My readings are exactly the same as your pic. never goes any higher even during 93 degrees and ****** conditions, with ac on of course.

ViperVon

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So if I do have a canadian car, how hard is it to change out the temp gauge and replace with a US gauge? The car was imported to the US from what I recall from the copy of the carfax report, I asked the orig owner about it and he said he had no clue. It was imported from a canadian dealership to a US dealership here in the states when new. My gauge definitely does not look like the gauge in the post above....my gauge does read as follows:

40 | | 80 | | 100

what is a safe temp reading for my gauge?

Between 80 and 100 on your gauge, which is between 176 and 212 in Fahrenheit.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vented cowl made by autoform through jon b.Came painted to match the car.Sorry not smart enough to figure out how to post pics.Looks stock.Must reuse weatherstrip between cowl and window.Vented area brushed aluminum grill. Bruce

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vented cowl made by autoform through jon b.Came painted to match the car.Sorry not smart enough to figure out how to post pics.Looks stock.Must reuse weatherstrip between cowl and window.Vented area brushed aluminum grill. Bruce

if you can email the pic i would be happy to post it for you. there may be others who like to see it too. LMK.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32